• Alison
    • Nov 2010

A most enjoyable review, Sainty.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Excellent review, ts. Not sure what else you've left Beefy to add but looking forward to his comments all the same.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Excellent review, ts. Not sure what else you've left Beefy to add but looking forward to his comments all the same.

Modest turn out ts ? Well that's Sibelius for you

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

In fact Sainty has put me in the mood for all three pieces this morning. With a welcome occasional day off I might just go for it.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Great review ts (#1409) -

Not much to add.

I will say though, that this was by far and away the best Sibelius performance that I can remember, and I’ve been to a few Sibelius concerts down the years.

Like a lot of people of my vintage, Karelia is ‘the theme music to This Week’ and a ‘filler’ for so many Sibelius orchestral discs. And nice music too, of course. If there ever was a case to be made for this composition, Osmo Vanskka made it this week. I had come to believe that the markings were ''andante con molto piedi di piombo”, but Osmo took it at a tightly sprung lick and it sounded like new music! I enjoyed every moment of this opener.

The Britten Vc was not, IMHO as successful. Even though this concerto is almost a single emotional compass, for me it is the central music that is the cynosure with its dramatic orchestral music, moving through the awe-inducing to the pastoral and the perfect counterclaims from the violin soloist. Neither happened for me at Wednesday’s concert. However, I will say that the coda was gorgeous - and on this occasion, as much to do with Simone Lamsma’s beautiful, tender virtuosity as Britten’s writing.

I was looking forward to Sibelius 1 picking things up a bit (based on the promise showed by the opener), but I did not expect the best Sibelius 1 that I’ve ever heard, either in a recording or a concert! It was amazing! It was also a surprise for me* given that I found Vanska’s Sibelius at the Proms before last, quite unengaging and pretty much a let-down.

However, nothing of the sort this time. The direct connection between him and the LPO on the stage was almost touchable. He moved, they responded. And he’s a very animated conductor. But what was amazing was how the LPO played so unbelievably precisely and could turn on a sixpence at the blink of an eye. Have they become the best orchestra in the country under my nose, and I hadn’t noticed?

Leaving the hall and talking to others who were sitting close by, the verdict was unanimous - the best Sibelius performance we’d ever witnessed (and the chap sitting to my right had seen Sir John Barbirolli and the Halle do their thang in Manchester, back in the day!).

One observation interested me most, that it was the fastest Sibelius 1 known to man. But although it’s true that Osmo had his right foot pinning the gas pedal to the floor, it didn’t sound hectic, rushed or hurried. In fact I was barely conscious of the pace as the music was unfolding in front of my eyes and ears. Was it not Sir Thomas Beecham who said something along the lines of ‘tempo is just an illusion?

All in all, a really enjoyable concert, good company and the best Sibelius performance I’ve ever witnessed.

* Karelia & Sibelius 1 were more of a surprise for teamsaint, but I’ll let him explain.
              Last edited by Beef Oven!; 22-10-16, 12:17. Reason: substituted Beecham4Boult

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                Great review ts (#1409) -

* Karelia & Sibelius 1 were more of a surprise for teamsaint, but I’ll let him explain.
                Is that because he was expecting to hear Sibelius 2?
                That's what he told me he was going to, but I took it as a customary ts trypo!

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Is that because he was expecting to hear Sibelius 2?
                  That's what he told me he was going to, but I took it as a customary ts trypo!
                  Yes, for some reason I had got it into my head that it was #2 that was in offer. Really don't know why
                  I have no idea why Beefy mentioned the Karelia though
                  It occurred to me over the last day or so that we REALLY need a recording that comes somewhere near to reproducing this concert.

A shame that Beefy didnt have much to add....
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Yes, for some reason I had got it into my head that it was #2 that was in offer. Really don't know why
                    I have no idea why Beefy mentioned the Karelia though
                    Pre-concert chat in the hall 10 mins to go:

teamsaint: ''Looking forward to Finlandia''
                    Beef Oven!: ''Karelia Suite''
                    teamsaint:'’Huh?''
                    Beef Oven!: ''Finlandia isn’t on the programme, it’s the Karelia Suite''
                    teamsaint ''you sure?''
                    Beef Oven!: ''Yeah''
                    teamsaint :''But I thought ......''
                    Beef oven!: (Shruggs shoulders)

Pause

teamsaint: ''People have mixed views about Sibelius 2 ''
                    Beef Oven!: ''You know it’s Sibelius 1, tonight?''
                    teamsaint: ''Eh? You sure?”
                    Beef Oven!: ''Pretty sure, but now you’re giving me doubts''
                    Beef Oven!: (To the chap sitting to his right) ''Excuse me, you have a programme, does it say Sibelius 1 or 2?''
                    Bloke to BO’s right: "Sibelius 1. We’ll soon know when it starts!''
                    Beef Oven!:: ''Yes, that opening solo clarinet is a dead give-away.''
                    Beef Oven!: (To teamsaint) ''It’s Sibelius 1''
                    teamsaint:’’Oh’’
                    Beef Oven!: ''You know it’s the Vc not the Pc?''
                    teamsaint ''Yes"
                    Beef Oven!: ''Good we’re alright on that one, then. Anyway, it’s about to start’'

It occurred to me over the last day or so that we REALLY need a recording that comes somewhere near to reproducing this concert.

A shame that Beefy didnt have much to add....

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Not true.

I really didn't say i was looking forward to Finlandia.

Otherwise, pretty much as you descibe, tbf.

And i did get the orchestra right.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Not true.

All true - it was your Finlandia conversation opener that started it all!

I really didn't say i was looking forward to Finlandia.

Otherwise, pretty much as you descibe, tbf.

And i did get the orchestra right.
                        All true - you only admit to the Sibelius 2 thing because we have the evidence in writing

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          the best Sibelius performance I’ve ever witnessed.
                          Better than the Ashkenazy 5 we were at?

Anyway, loved the reviews and subsequent to-and-fro....

A little presumptuously I want to post here a public post by Laurie Watt, I'm sure he won't mind - and it corroborates your recollection, BO:

I have now heard two of Osmo Vanska's Sibelius series with my larger family, the LPO. The tragedy is that I fly to Chicago tomorrow and will miss his second two concerts next week. The first three symphonies were realised as if they had just been composed. I had never appreciated what a significant role the 3rd Symphony played in Sibelius's evolving cycle. Take away the tunes and you have the beginnings of the stark building blocks of the uncompromising 4th, with the last movement looking not just back to the 2nd but onwards past the 4th to the 5th. It was Osmo's extraordinary vision that showed these amazing works in all the novelty of their time. To realise this the wonderful and fabulous LPO showed itself as pre-eminent amongst our many great orchestras. Two totally and truly inspirational evenings.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I heard a very good young baritone, Andrè Schuen, (from South Tirol) in a Schubert programme at a lunchtime concert at the Oxford Lieder Festival on Friday. Amazing control, for example, in the tricky to get just right, Des Fischers Liebesglück.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                              Better than the Ashkenazy 5 we were at?

I had that performance in mind when I posted! Now the euphoria has died down, I’d say that Wednesday’s concert just edged it, rather than ''far and away''. I say that with a heavy heart as Vlad is special for me (and as has been said, underrated and a tad forgotten, these days). And I say it thinking about a revelatory (for me) Karelia performance. Vlad merely had the stupendous, stunning, astonishingly astounding, stratospheric Trifinov Rachmaninov performance as a back up

Anyway, loved the reviews and subsequent to-and-fro....

A little presumptuously I want to post here a public post by Laurie Watt, I'm sure he won't mind - and it corroborates your recollection, BO:

I have now heard two of Osmo Vanska's Sibelius series with my larger family, the LPO. The tragedy is that I fly to Chicago tomorrow and will miss his second two concerts next week. The first three symphonies were realised as if they had just been composed. I had never appreciated what a significant role the 3rd Symphony played in Sibelius's evolving cycle. Take away the tunes and you have the beginnings of the stark building blocks of the uncompromising 4th, with the last movement looking not just back to the 2nd but onwards past the 4th to the 5th. It was Osmo's extraordinary vision that showed these amazing works in all the novelty of their time. To realise this the wonderful and fabulous LPO showed itself as pre-eminent amongst our many great orchestras. Two totally and truly inspirational evenings.

Lovely observations from LW, thanks for posting. I’m glad I’m not alone and my claim about the LPO may not be pure post-concert jubilation.

Comment

• Carlos V

I couldn't attend the first concert of the series but I was at the RFH last Friday and I will be back for the remaining two concerts this week. Both 2nd and 3rd were extremely fine. I don't think you can possibly hear a better Sibelius nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                                X