Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

Amongst the very finest and most influential organists of the post-war generation. Besides being a superb exponent of the entire French repertoire, she was one of the first to take Bach-playing out of the dullness then commonly heard in England. In particular, I've fond student memories of playing a secondhand copy (bought from The Cottage s/h record shop in Brighton - a tiny treasure trove for the impecunious) of a 1965 World Record Club LP of the 'Dorian' Toccata & Fugue: the sparkling articulation and joie-de-vivre were in stark contrast to what was usually served up in the school chapel!

RIP M-C

Comment

• Cornet IV

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
      Amongst the very finest and most influential organists of the post-war generation. Besides being a superb exponent of the entire French repertoire, she was one of the first to take Bach-playing out of the dullness then commonly heard in England. RIP M-C
      Marie-Claire Alain unquestionably was "amongst the very finest" and was fortunate to have had the mentoring of the very finest of the preceding generation. In respect of the French romantics, I think her playing unsurpassed although without wishing to be contentious, I long have held the view that the French and Bach mutually are exclusive so don't necessarily share the views of others regarding her performances in this regard. However, I've been very lucky to have attended a number of her recitals, mostly on the CC instruments almost de rigeur for the French greats, and have been spellbound on each occasion.

Like so many of my generation, I'm deeply saddened by the loss of Carlo Curley and Marie-Claire in such a short span.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-03-13, 19:26.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
        • Nov 2010

Obit from the NYT:

Comment

Working...
        X