• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Marie-Claire Alain RIP

A really fine organist.

At a personal level, my real introduction to Bach's organ music.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

That's very sad
    a great musician indeed

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      That's very sad
      a great musician indeed

Was she any relation to Jehan Alain, the organist-composer, anyone know?

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Was she any relation to Jehan Alain, the organist-composer, anyone know?
        sister

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          Thanks, mercia

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Not a bad innigs though for this great organist! An era has past now. RIP
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Gordon
              • Nov 2010

Oh No!! How sad. The reaper has been excessively busy lately, whom the gods love eh! Another one of my youthful heroines gone! The Handel Organ concertos recorded in 1961 in Paris for Erato with Jean-Francois Paillard. Issued here on Argo/Decca. It was the only set for a time and I still love that sound. I had all the 4 LPs as a student and treasured them. She was a marvellous exponent of her brother's music too. Will play a couple of the Handel later as a tribute.

I think they might be around on CD - Boston Skyline did some but not all of them - Vol 2 available here at Amazon.

Comment

• Roehre

The reaper has been excessively busy lately indeed

another great musician passed away.
                Her recordings made me listening to Bach's organ works too.
                I must admit: organ music in general (exceptions confirming the rule) Is something I rarely feel attracted to, but nevertheless.

RIP Marie-Claire Alain

Comment

• Vile Consort
                  • Nov 2010

Not only her brother's music but also her father's, Albert Alain.

When she was on the jury at St Albans the other year she gave a recital consisting entirely of his music to a packed cathedral, earning an instant standing ovation. The fact that she wasn't able to get on the organ to start registering the pieces until nearly midnight didn't seem to trouble her in the least, and she continued until 2.30 am.

She was a legend throughout my entire adult life.

May she rest in peace.

Comment

• Karafan
                    • Nov 2010

A sad loss. I treasure her set of Franck works played on the Cavaille-Coll at Saint-Etienne de Caen (Erato); superb. (I see, now reissued at pocket money prices - got a high, if not top, BaL recommendation I think for the Chorals some years ago: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Franck-Organ...1920161&sr=1-1)

RIP
                    Last edited by Karafan; 27-02-13, 00:12.
                    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                      A sad loss. I treasure her set of Franck works played on the Cavaille-Coll at Saint-Etienne de Caen (Erato); superb. (I see, now reissued at pocket money prices - got a high, if not top, BaL recommendation I think for the Chorals some years ago: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Franck-Organ...1920161&sr=1-1)

:
                      The link is to her earlier recording at Lyon. The Caen recording is http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_adv...cal-Submit.y=6

Comment

• umslopogaas
                        • Nov 2010

Oh, alas! 'L'Art de la Fugue', a 2 LP set dated 1974. She showed me a path, just a wonderful vision, I'm still trying to tread my way to the truth. For sure, Bach wrote it, but for us humble mortals, we need the likes of M-CA to bring us interpretation.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          The reaper has been excessively busy lately indeed

another great musician passed away.
                          Her recordings made me listening to Bach's organ works too.
                          I must admit: organ music in general (exceptions confirming the rule) Is something I rarely feel attracted to, but nevertheless.

RIP Marie-Claire Alain
                          I rarely listen to any Organ music by any other composer, and other family members tend to react very negatively to any organ music. Bach wrote so many of his greatest works for the Organ, that just don't sound right in transcription. E Power Biggs was my my introduction to most of Bach's Organ music, and then I added Alain for an alternative view.

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

playing one of her brother's works
                            The world-famous French organist Marie-Claire Alain (died february 26th, 2013 at the age of 86) plays Litanies by her brother Jehan Alain (1911-1940) on the ...

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Not all organists are great musicians, but Marie-Claire most certainly was! She must have been a formative influence on many of us. I first saw her playing her brother's Litanies not (as in the excellent Youtube clip) on a magnificent instrument, but in the modest surroundings of the parish church at St Peter Port in Guernsey. I must have been about 18 at the time, and I was totally comverted to Litanies (had to learn it at once), to Marie-Claire and to playing (sometimes, in my case) without music. Hardly anyone did in those days except the notable blind French organists.

Thank you, Marie-Claire for your inspiration and example.

Comment

Working...
                              X