X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JFLL
    • Jan 2011

Quiet coach?

I wondered (tentatively, of course) whether anyone would welcome a thread called ‘Quiet Coach’. You get the idea, I hope – no politics, no SHOUTING, no ad hominem insults, no name-calling, no emoting, no asterisks, no Australian QCs, no confrontation, (and no references to pots and kettles, please). Topics to include only civilized, urbane, refined or understated works (e.g. the Art of Fugue, Fauré’s chamber music, Duparc’s Mélodies) or performances. Music for late-night listening with the unwinding tipple of your choice.

(And if you didn’t like the idea you could always damn well STAY AWAY!!! )
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

like, could somebody nicely suggest the best Glenn Gould/ Goldberg variations disc, please?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

If I find Faure a teeny bit dull at times, could I be allowed to stay ?

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
        I wondered (tentatively, of course) whether anyone would welcome a thread called ‘Quiet Coach’. You get the idea, I hope – no politics, no SHOUTING, no ad hominem insults, no name-calling, no emoting, no asterisks, no Australian QCs, no confrontation, (and no references to pots and kettles, please). Topics to include only civilized, urbane, refined or understated works (e.g. the Art of Fugue, Fauré’s chamber music, Duparc’s Mélodies) or performances. Music for late-night listening with the unwinding tipple of your choice.

Good luck if you try it. Some of us already do this "off-board" - it's great and you can discuss things with respect and courtesy, in your own time, without losing things in a mass of irrelevant stuff.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          like, could somebody nicely suggest the best Glenn Gould/ Goldberg variations disc, please?

TS I would, nicely of course, suggest Gould's final studio recording of the Goldbergs in fact I think I'll just go to it now with a nice glass of Bells. I love Faure - the Nocturnes are lovely late night listening........I think Mr. Gould did not like him ....it takes all sorts....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Topics to include only civilized, urbane, refined or understated works (e.g. ... Fauré’s chamber music...) or performances.
            Great idea.

I skated past this thread for the last 24 hours thinking it must be about football managers from the non-Alex Ferguson school.

A perfect haven to share my suitably restrained excitement at the arrival on the doormat today of tickets to the following series at the (yes, I do like the definite article in the name of the) Wigmore Hall:

30 April 2013

Renaud Capuçon, violin; Gérard Caussé, viola; Gautier Capuçon, cello; Nicholas Angelich, piano; Michel Dalberto, piano

Fauré

Violin Sonata No. 2 in E minor Op. 108
            Piano Trio in D minor Op. 120
            Cello Sonata No. 1 in D minor Op. 109
            Piano Quartet No. 1 in C minor Op. 15

2 May 2013

Renaud Capuçon, violin; Gérard Caussé, viola; Gautier Capuçon, cello; Nicholas Angelich, piano; Michel Dalberto, piano

Fauré

Cello Sonata No. 2 in G minor Op. 117
            Violin Sonata No. 1 in A Op. 13
            Piano Quartet No. 2 in G minor Op. 45

4 May 2013

Quatuor Ebène; Michel Dalberto, piano; Nicholas Angelich, piano

Fauré

String Quartet in E minor Op. 121
            Piano Quintet No. 1 in D minor Op. 89
            Piano Quintet No. 2 in C minor Op. 115

Can't wait. And Ferret: don't give up!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

A good idea. I wonder if there will be a boarder equivalent of the person who constantly leaves the quiet coach to stand in the vestibule talking on the phone?

Here's my contemplative evening concert (played last night):

Lars-Erik Larsson: Pastoralsvit
              Gerald Finzi: Earth and Air and Rain (John Carol Case/Howard Ferguson)
              Robin Milford: Fishing By Moonlight

Comment

• David-G
                • Mar 2012

Not Glenn Gould - but I heard the Goldberg played by Andreas Staier at the Wigmore Hall last year, on a harpsichord. It was marvellous. He has recorded it on Harmonia Mundi.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                  Not Glenn Gould - but I heard the Goldberg played by Andreas Staier at the Wigmore Hall last year, on a harpsichord. It was marvellous. He has recorded it on Harmonia Mundi.
                  I'm mildly obsessed with the Goldberg Variations and have been listening to a friend's CD of the arrangement for string trio which I found fascinating - almost as a commentary on the keyboard original. (Sorry I've given it back to him now so can't quote personnel, but it's an arrangement by the fiddler.)

I like the idea of the quiet coach. If you're listening to music while typing please be respectful of other passengers.

Comment

• Belgrove
                    • Nov 2010

Sadly I will not be able to attend the Faure series at the Wigmore Hall, three sublime concerts. Le Sage and the Ebene's latest disc of the two quintets has usurped in my affections the great recordings by Domus. There is a greater sense of drive and trajectory of the musical argument, which can give the impression of ellipsis and noodling in lesser hands.

Faure's chamber music provides so much joy, enrichment and satisfaction, the works provide a complimentary experience to Brahms' chamber works, which are equally satisfying but occupy a different soundscape. As antogould says, Faure befits late night listening, ideally with a decent single malt accompaniment.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      I skated past this thread for the last 24 hours thinking it must be about football managers from the non-Alex Ferguson school.
                      I thought it was going to be an adverse comment on train so-called 'quiet coaches'...

But on a stream of consciousness (a sort of musical association), I don't have Staier's Goldbergs but I do have his Diabelli Variations which received rave reviews when it was released last(?) year. Very interesting HIPP, in many ways.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                        Good luck if you try it. Some of us already do this "off-board" - it's great and you can discuss things with respect and courtesy, in your own time, without losing things in a mass of irrelevant stuff.
                        Yes I agree

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Music for late-night listening with the unwinding tipple of your choice.
                          May I tenatively offer this (there's much more like it) as something one might listen to without annoying one's fellow passengers? The essence of stately Spanish urbanity from circa 1546, played here by Australian (hence the shorts) guitarist David Russell. The full title of this piece by Alonso Mudarra is "Fantasia which imitates the harp in the manner of Ludovico". There are some strange (for 1546) harmonies towards the end, and on the score Mudarra wrote "From here on there are some false notes but if well played they don't sound bad".

I have been known to raise my voice in the quiet coach when fellow passengers have refused to switch off their devices

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

This was a fine way of unwinding after a day of interviewing:

And there is the following to look forward to next weekend (quite brave for the somewhat conservative audience here in the glens):

Perth Theatre and Concert Hall present a lively mix of music, theatre, dance, art and events. Join our community activities, eat or meet in our spaces.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Feldman ....... nuff said

(but if you want more details Rothko Chapel would be a good start)

(i'm assuming it's not like a real "quiet coach" ? where I can book tickets for me and my dysfunctional children and if i'm wearing a suit I can talk loudly on the phone and the staff will ignore all of this ...................... and relax)

careful now , this could be "relaxing classics with single malt"

Comment

Working...
                              X