• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    Schutz: Saul, Saul, was verfolgst du mich SWV415. A magnificently spine-chilling work which I've heard only once in my life, on R3. Amazon lists it only on an ancient LP Dunno about performers...
    Never heard the piece, but the Cappella Augustana directed by Matteo Messori "converted" me to the Schütz "cause" some years ago and they're pretty damn fine performers.

I'd like someone to record Nic Hodges' performance of the Jean Barraqué Piano Sonata. There are currently only two available CDs - Stefan Litwin on CPO (I wish I could play the work as well as this, but it is rather careful and adds nearly quarter-of-an-hour to the duration written in the score) and Herbert Henck on ECM; much more impressive but still six-and-a-half minutes over the time. At last November's Huddersfield Festival, Hodges delivered the best performance I've heard of the work - the fast passages glittering like sparks from a Blast Furnace, the quieter moments all given their precise "placing" (and each note in the chords given astonishingly accurate weight) - and all coming in at the 40 minutes the composer suggested. Great stuff; really brought out from the page the sheer quality of the Music.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Tchaikovsky - Manfred Symphony. Ihave the others several times over but lent my Manfred to a relative, who seems to have lost it. It was an off-air recording and very special.

Neither a lender or a borrower be. Good advice.

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        Tchaikovsky - Manfred Symphony.
        Salymap: a quick check on Amazon reveals that there are 91 extant recordings of this symphony!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Salymap: a quick check on Amazon reveals that there are 91 extant recordings of this symphony!

Sir Velo is the new antongould. All that's missing is the 'Lady Sidcup'. La pauvre!

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            I'd like someone to record Nic Hodges' performance of the Jean Barraqué Piano Sonata.
            Now that would be wonderful. And please someone reissue Roger Woodward's recording.

Pi-hsien Chen is good (but oop).

Comment

• Roehre

Vermeulen's 7 symphonies. All have been recorded by The Hague Philharmonic/Residentieorkest with Roszhdestvensky for Chandos, but contractual difficulties between company and conductor make them gathering dust in the Chandos archives

Comment

• Madame Suggia
                • Sep 2012

I'd quite like Haitink and the VPO to record Szymanowski's Harnasie and the violin concertos, Ida Haendel as soloist.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Richard Rodney Bennett's Actaeon for horn and orchestra.

First heard at the 1977 Proms and written for Barry Tuckwell there isn't any recording at all as far as I know. A perfect vehicle for David Pyatt .
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Roehre

Henze's 10 symphonies by the Concertgebouw orchestra and Mariss Jansons

Comment

• Cheapskater

Just slightly OT. Could I have Edward Gardner and Natalia Luis-Bassa record the Elgar symphonies
                      and major oratorios please? Orchestra of their choice
                      Thank you.
                      Last edited by Guest; 24-02-13, 13:46. Reason: trypo

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Cheapskater View Post
                        Just slightly OT. Could I have Edward Gardner and Natalia Luis-Bassa record the Elgar symphonies
                        and major oratorios please? Orchestra of their choice
                        Thank you.
                        What a cracking suggestion, Cheapers

In case people are baffled by the identity of Ms Luis-Bassa ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-W1QTlsWc

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Madame Suggia View Post
                          I'd quite like Haitink and the VPO to record Szymanowski's Harnasie and the violin concertos, Ida Haendel as soloist.
                          There is so much I wish the great Ida had recorded (or re-recorded). Alas, we would need a tardis now.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            There is so much I wish the great Ida had recorded (or re-recorded). Alas, we would need a tardis now.
                            Yes a great shame . I bet there are loads of BBC recordings that they could release that would be marvellous judging by that 1993 Testament Sibelius with rattle .

Get on to it ICA Classics - the Hanssler series appears to have been a success.

Comment

• Cheapskater

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              What a cracking suggestion, Cheapers

In case people are baffled by the identity of Ms Luis-Bassa ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-W1QTlsWc
                              Thanks very much for your support. Those are on the dream list then. I very much regret missing the Gardner Elgar that I think you attended at RCM?

I see that Natalia is based around Sheffield Hallam & Lancaster and if I was in that area I'd certainly attend her concerts. Must keep a look-out, maybe she comes South East sometimes.

Cheaps.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Julien Sorel View Post
                                Now that would be wonderful. And please someone reissue Roger Woodward's recording.
                                Gosh! I think I might have heard that (or at least the first side of it) back in the Summer of 1979 - it was after a student concert, some of us gathered at the flat of one of the performers who had this in his collection. (My first experience of Glenlivet, too, which probably accounts for the hazy memory!)

Pi-hsien Chen is good (but oop).
                                I've found this on youTube and posted it on the "Extraordinary Listening" thread. It is very good (for a moment, I thought "Oop" meant she'd made a mistake somewhere!) and thanks for mentioning it.

Your mentioning the Roberto Gerhard String Quartets performed by the Ardittis (which has just been released on aeon) made me think how fantastic it'd be if they'd also record the Babbitt Quartets - some have only received one recording ever, others would get their premieres.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X