X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Sep 2024

Under-recorded works and who you'd like to record them

Penderecki's Cello Concerto No. 2 - Jurowski/LPO with Enrico Dindo as soloist (he did a damn good job with the DSCH concertos)
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Beethoven Piano Concerto No.6 and Rondo WoO6 (Egarr; AAM)

Sibelius. Surusoitto (Mournful Music), Op. 111b (1931)
    Funeral March (from Masonic Ritual Music, Op. 113 (1927/1948)

A tantalising glimpse as to how the 8th symphony may have sounded. Kevin Bowyer would be a good choice for these unearthly masterworks.

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Herbert Howells - Missa Sabrinensis for soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, chorus and orchestra (1953, c. 76 mins.).

'Missa Sabrinensis magnificently encapsulates Howells' exuberantly ecstatic absorption in spirituality, celebration, redemptive anguish, high hills radiance and the dazzle of the invincible sun.' (Rob Barnett)

Only one recording so far, rather surprisingly by LSO/Rozhdestvensky + soli (Chandos).
      Would like to hear a CD made of a future Proms performance following last summer's superb Proms première of HH's Hymnus Paradisi by BBCSC/BBCSO/Martyn Brabbins.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

The symphony's of George Lloyd.

If only Sir Simon Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic could be persuaded...

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          The symphony's of George Lloyd.

If only Sir Simon Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic could be persuaded...
          That's how I feel about certain works, like with the Rattle/Baker/CBSO Mahler 2, transporting it into the wider public consciousness of the public. The standard performing repertoire can seem rather limited sometimes - the same old warhorses carted out like I've just done with the word "warhorse"

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Heinz Holliger - the complete edition

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              That's how I feel about certain works, like with the Rattle/Baker/CBSO Mahler 2, transporting it into the wider public consciousness of the public. The standard performing repertoire can seem rather limited sometimes - the same old warhorses carted out like I've just done with the word "warhorse"
              There was a couple in Scotland who won £148 million on the lottery recently. I bet that with that amount of cash one could sponsor a recording with those forces! In fact, I'd love to have Sir Simon and the Berlin Phil. Do a complete cycle at an Edinburgh Festival. I wonder if anyone would turn up...!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                There was a couple in Scotland who won £148 million on the lottery recently. I bet that with that amount of cash one could sponsor a recording with those forces! In fact, I'd love to have Sir Simon and the Berlin Phil. Do a complete cycle at an Edinburgh Festival. I wonder if anyone would turn up...!
                If I ever have such a windfall, I'll hire a concert hall and organize a For3 concert programme with full orchestra. 'Full Members' only (cue Caliban double entendre pun any second now).

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                  • Nov 2010

That I would certainly go to hear at the proms. Would be good to have an alternative recording. I've got the vocal score and boy is it difficult though, but what an ecstatic piece it is.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Heinz Holliger - the complete edition

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                      Beethoven Piano Concerto No.6 and Rondo WoO6 (Egarr; AAM)
                      Which concerto? Opus 61a [well available since a decade or so] or Hess 15 [one not too well done recording at present]?
                      Sibelius. Surusoitto (Mournful Music), Op. 111b (1931)
                      Funeral March (from Masonic Ritual Music, Op. 113 (1927/1948)
                      Rarely recorded indeed, but available as part of BIS Complete Sibelius vol.13, with quite a lot of other very good but rarely if ever performed works, and including a CD with works of contemporaries as well as Sibelius' recording of the andante Festivo

Comment

• Sir Velo
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        Which concerto? Opus 61a [well available since a decade or so] or Hess 15 [one not too well done recording at present]?
                        Good point Roehre; requires clarification. I was thinking of H15, which of course comprises fragments of the first movement only. Even though Beethoven abandoned it, any chippings from the master's workshop from this period demand to be heard!

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        Rarely recorded indeed, but available as part of BIS Complete Sibelius vol.13, with quite a lot of other very good but rarely if ever performed works, and including a CD with works of contemporaries as well as Sibelius' recording of the andante Festivo
                        Thanks. Will investigate further.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                          Thanks. Will investigate further.
                          Ok, have investigated further. At £39.01 this will have to go on the wish list. I reiterate my plea for a first class recording of these works on a single, budget priced CD.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Schutz: Saul, Saul, was verfolgst du mich SWV415. A magnificently spine-chilling work which I've heard only once in my life, on R3. Amazon lists it only on an ancient LP Dunno about performers...

EDIT Just tracked it down on a Brahms 4th disc of JEG's - duly ordered Actually, I think Roehre may have alerted me of this before<where's the DOH icon when you need it??> Have now heard the work again via Spotify and the Dunedin Consort - can only say that I hope JEG's version is a lot better...
                            Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 23-02-13, 13:11.
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Great thread this. I'm sure I've thought of ideas which fit the bill in the past, haven't come up with any contributions so far though...
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X