A new age of top-quality string players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Elsewhere we have been discussing recordings/performances of Bach string playing and this led me to wonder if members agree that we are living in a new age of top-quality string players.

In no particular order we have some wonderful violinists including Isabelle Faust, Julia Fischer, Alina Ibragimova, Viktoria Mullova, Hilary Hahn, Lisa Batiashivili, Sergey Khachatrian; and among cellists we have Jean-Guihen Queyras, Anne Gastinel, Alisa Weilerstein, Jamie Walton.

Do members agree and who would you add/remove from the examples above.
    Well, I certainly do - Alina and Alisa are indeed quite a pair in themselves, but Hahn playing the once thought improbable Schönberg Concerto as though it's the greatest violin concerto ever written is as hard an act as any to follow...

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

In no particular order we have some wonderful violinists including Isabelle Faust, Julia Fischer, Alina Ibragimova, Viktoria Mullova, Hilary Hahn, Lisa Batiashivili, Sergey Khachatrian; and among cellists we have Jean-Guihen Queyras, Anne Gastinel, Alisa Weilerstein, Jamie Walton.

Anne Gastinel was not familiar to me until we saw her on impressive form a few weeks ago in a trio down here in Wilts.

(PS The pianist Philippe Cassard is the marvellous accompanist to Natalie Dessay on their recent French song disc which I have also been greatly enjoying.)

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Elsewhere we have been discussing recordings/performances of Bach string playing and this led me to wonder if members agree that we are living in a new age of top-quality string players.

If you put Viktoria Mullova in you also have to put in Anne-Sophie Muuter who is younger. I suggest these are of an older generation than you meant. Of the new generation string players I agree with most on the list but I would certainly like to add the violinist Arabella Steinbacher. I have also seen and have very much enjoyed violinists Hyeyoon Park, Valeriy Sokolov and Eugene Ugorski.

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

On the strength of his performance of the Barber cello concerto on CD Review's Disc of the Week, I think we need to add Christian Poltera to the list!

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            On the strength of his performance of the Barber cello concerto on CD Review's Disc of the Week, I think we need to add Christian Poltera to the list!

Comment

Working...
            X