A new age of top-quality string players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolmill
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
    James Ehnes (violin), Lawrence Power (viola)...
    Cross-post snap! Always nice to see one's own judgement validated so quickly by someone of such obvious taste and discrimination...

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
      I can only say that there is one over-hyped lady who is not included. Well done AMs!

HS

Well, I am going to mention Nicola Benedetti (if indeed it is she who is being referred to). I've heard her on many occasions and I think she's a terrific player as well as being at the forefront of asking pertinent questions about the future of music education in this country.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Well, I am going to mention Nicola Benedetti (if indeed it is she who is being referred to). I've heard her on many occasions and I think she's a terrific player as well as being at the forefront of asking pertinent questions about the future of music education in this country.
        I thought this in-joke was referring to Vanessa-Mae.

Comment

• AmpH
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
          Cross-post snap! Always nice to see one's own judgement validated so quickly by someone of such obvious taste and discrimination...
          Couldn't have put it better myself Rolmill

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Get a room, lads!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Ams - yes!

AmpH, I'd second Natalie Clein - I've heard her live a couple of times including a perf. of the demanding Kodaly sonata and her CD of it also superb. Alban Gerhard is another fine cellist.

Violinists - great live memories of Vengerov, Mullova, Frank-Peter Zimmerman, Vadim Repin.....

Comment

• JFLL
                • Jan 2011

Got in late here, but would just like to add young Brendel (Adrian) among the cellists. Some video clips from his Plush Festival here:

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

I bought a cd today of Faure and Saint-Saens played by a violinist called Deborah Nemtanu who is leader of the Orchestra de chamber de Paris. It's conducted by Thomas Zehetmair so that gives an idea of the calibre of music making on offer.

Ms. Nemtanu is a wonderful player who makes the sweetest sound. Just lovely.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                    Got in late here, but would just like to add young Brendel (Adrian) among the cellists. Some video clips from his Plush Festival here:

http://www.plushmusic.tv/channels/7W...nata-no-2.html
                    A worthy addition and a nice website showing extracts from the work of other emerging artists - many thanks JFLL

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Agree on Alban Gerhard and Repin. We heard Adrian Brendel with Dad at Cheltenham Festival a while ago. I'd add the violinist Baiba Skride who we saw in Bremen with the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie a few years ago and seems to be very much in demand.

Comment

• Zucchini
                        • Nov 2010

Yes, definitely Baiba Skride. I find she instictively does eveything right. In the last 6 months I've heard her three times in partnership with Andris Nelsons and his CBSO and feel lucky to have done so. Since late 2010 she plays Gidon Kremer's violin. It's fabulous. And she's gorgeous and the orchestra love her.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                          Yes, definitely Baiba Skride. I find she instictively does eveything right. In the last 6 months I've heard her three times in partnership with Andris Nelsons and his CBSO and feel lucky to have done so. Since late 2010 she plays Gidon Kremer's violin. It's fabulous. And she's gorgeous and the orchestra love her.
                          Has Kremer retired , Zucchini? I've not heard her play so will check her out on Spotify

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

I'll throw Vilde Frang into the mix please.

Comment

• Mahler's3rd

Hi Amateur 51, an excellent concert on Friday night at St Georges, Bristol by The Elias Quartet, it was the second in their ongoing series, playing all the Beethoven String Quartet's over a 2 year period. I know they are taking the tour elsewhere in the UK including Southampton, Norwich, Reading & London. Tonight we were treated to String Quartet in D Op18 No 3, String Quartet in F minor Op 95 & String Quartet in B flat Op 130, the playing was wonderful, and I'm really looking forward to their next visit on May 31st, sorry it's taken me a while to reply I was in Cardiff over the weekend At the Millennium Centre watching Lulu & Cunning Little Vixen

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Mesmerising musician, and one must add in the same breath (and on the same instrument) the slightly younger Maxim Rysanov.

I think I prefer the viola, played at that level of skill, to any other stringed instrument.
                                With which thought, Levine Andrade, anyone? One of the most remarkable viola players that I've ever heard (and, yes, Power's is an immense talent)...

Comment

Working...
                                X