• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

I love watching him on the Berlin DCH.
    After a great Bruckner 5, his expression and body language before the adoring audience (and devoted players) seemed to say "sorry, it wasn't much, but it's the best I can do..."
    Extraordinary. A great and humble man.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      I didn't listen to the interview, but Arkivmusic lists 41 recordings of the Tink conducting Mahler. The only Composers that he has more recordings listed are Beethoven and Mozart. I counted 5 separate recordings of him in Mahler/1. If the man thinks that Mahler is over performed, perhaps a good look in the mirror
      when he shaves each morning is in order.
      . I suspect you will find that Mr Haitink does not perform more than two Mahler symphonies a season and this has been the case for a good many years. From memory he hasn't performed any Mahler in London since October 2009. Yes, he has recorded more Mahler than most conductors but that now covers a span of nearly 50 years.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        . I suspect you will find that Mr Haitink does not perform more than two Mahler symphonies a season and this has been the case for a good many years. From memory he hasn't performed any Mahler in London since October 2009. Yes, he has recorded more Mahler than most conductors but that now covers a span of nearly 50 years.
        But he has't recorded two complete cycles as e.g. Abbado and Chailly have done/are doing.
        Mahler 1 for the 75th anniversary of the Concergebou orchestra in 1963 was Haitink's first Mahler recording, and one with which he wasn't happy after completing his first cycle in the late 1960s and therefore re-recording it as the final instalment of his 1960s (first) Mahler cycle with the Concertgebouw Orchestra.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          I love watching him on the Berlin DCH.
          After a great Bruckner 5, his expression and body language before the adoring audience (and devoted players) seemed to say "sorry, it wasn't much, but it's the best I can do..."
          Extraordinary. A great and humble man.
          Ah say you're tempting me, jlw, tempting me ah say

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Enjoy tomorrow, Ams. I promise a treat is in store.

Comment

• amateur51

Enjoy tomorrow, Ams. I promise a treat is in store.
              Thanks Alison - looking forward to it hugely. I'm way up top so hope to avoid any rodents who've got tickets

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Thanks Alison - looking forward to it hugely. I'm way up top so hope to avoid any rodents who've got tickets
                I second Alison's promise. One word of warning, however, if you use the Moorgate station approach to the Barbican. There is horrendous construction work going on thereabouts and I was deprived of my usual method of getting to the hall. Even after 31 years of going there I ended getting faintly lost...
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  I second Alison's promise. One word of warning, however, if you use the Moorgate station approach to the Barbican. There is horrendous construction work going on thereabouts and I was deprived of my usual method of getting to the hall. Even after 31 years of going there I ended getting faintly lost...
                  Yes, the gentleman sitting next to me was grumbling about the very same.

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

Would anyone be in a position to post the Sunday Times review of the recent LSO/Haitink concerts ? (24 feb)

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Would anyone be in a position to post the Sunday Times review of the recent LSO/Haitink concerts ? (24 feb)
                      The actual review will be copyright. The Times group are the only ones ever to complain and ask us to remove materal.

On the other hand, they could cut them out and post them TO you ...
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• PaulT
                        • Nov 2010

Hi Alison. Just sent you a PM.

Just listened to the Tom Service/Haitink interview. There seems to be some sort of special relationship between the two and Haitink is far more revealing than is usual with interviewers. A gem. I wonder if a new biography is in the offing.

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Bernard 84 today. How did you get on at the Barbican last Sunday, amateur51 ?

Comment

Working...
                          X