X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Suffolkcoastal's symphonic journey - next steps

What an amazing and fascinating resource this is. Authoritative, wide-ranging and personal. Grateful thanks!

Now, who's up for a similar journey from Haydn 1 to Beethoven 1?

Or should we wait for SC to do it?
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Would such a journey include Symphonies by the lesser lights that have been overshadowed historically? The likes of Ries, Hoffmeister, Dittersdorf, Vanhal, Myslicicek, the Stamitzs, Abel, Boccherini, etc.?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      Would such a journey include Symphonies by the lesser lights that have been overshadowed historically? The likes of Ries, Hoffmeister, Dittersdorf, Vanhal, Myslicicek, the Stamitzs, Abel, Boccherini, etc.?
      Ries is 19th Century and all his symphonies have already been included in my 'journey'. I've also acquired a handful more symphonies from the 19th century since I completed that era so may need to go back and add them in. I don't really think I have enough 18th Century Symphonies to do that period justice, though I have a fair number including all Vanhal, Boccherini, Abel, Dittersdorf, Kozeluch, J C Bach etc. Though I would love to do a programme on them, as there is so much variety and interesting aspects in the composers of this period.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I think, thsat, I hopethis wont offend him, but perhaps a seperate thread on these journeys might be a good idea? These are all very informative and expands our knowledge to9 what we would not dream of? I dont know how other people feel?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          I think, thsat, I hopethis wont offend him, but perhaps a seperate thread on these journeys might be a good idea? These are all very informative and expands our knowledge to9 what we would not dream of? I dont know how other people feel?
          You're aware that the journey so far as been gathered together in our new 'Reference Library' section?

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...phonic-Journey
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

I would be very grateful for a similar exploration of the string quartet (perhaps using a decade, rather than a year, per report as there may well be fewer works). We so rarely hear broadcasts of works outside the core repertoire yet there must be some little-known examples that are well worth hearing. Suffolkcoastal's mammoth symphonic review will be a hard act to follow, though.
            Last edited by aeolium; 17-02-13, 10:53.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Ah yes Cali! thank you for that! I had forgotten.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Demetrius
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                I would be very grateful for a similar exploration of the string quartet (perhaps using a decade, rather than a year, per report as there may well be fewer works). We so rarely hear broadcasts of works outside the core repertoire yet there must be some little-known examples that are well worth hearing. Sufflokcoastal's mammoth symphonic review will be a hard act to follow, though.
                seconded; though it would be nice to branch into the smallish numbers of quintets - nonets. Alternatively, concertos. However, I think sc's symphonies took up quite a lot of his time over the last year - whoever would try to do a similar thing with either quartets or concertos would have to invest just as much time, quite apart from the needed knowledge to discern a difference in quality between so many pieces. I struggle with the idea of coaxing sc or anyone else into the task.

On the other hand, the symphonic journey has been and continues to be extremely informative and useful to me. If someone wants to volunteer ...

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Demetrius View Post
                  seconded; though it would be nice to branch into the smallish numbers of quintets - nonets. Alternatively, concertos. However, I think sc's symphonies took up quite a lot of his time over the last year - whoever would try to do a similar thing with either quartets or concertos would have to invest just as much time, quite apart from the needed knowledge to discern a difference in quality between so many pieces. I struggle with the idea of coaxing sc or anyone else into the task.

On the other hand, the symphonic journey has been and continues to be extremely informative and useful to me. If someone wants to volunteer ...
                  Sc's symphonic journey will be a hard if not impossible act to follow.
                  WOW,the thought of one of our knowledgeable members doing a similar thing for string quartets or chamber music is very exciting.

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

whoever would try to do a similar thing with either quartets or concertos would have to invest just as much time, quite apart from the needed knowledge to discern a difference in quality between so many pieces. I struggle with the idea of coaxing sc or anyone else into the task.
                    One way would be to spread the load by not asking any one person to do it (even if any one would have the almost encyclopedic knowledge that sc demonstrated with the symphonic odyssey) but to have a general thread into which anyone could make contributions for a particular decade - contributions which could be supplemented by others, thereby building up a sort of wiki-type resource.

Incidentally, I am not so concerned about the comments on the quality of any piece, which will invariably be a personal view, but more to have an idea of its style, roughly what it sounds like - and, in the case of the less well-known works, to be made aware that they exist!

Comment

Working...
                    X