X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath
    • Sep 2024

Schubert Piano music from 78s

For those of you that will happily sit down for an hour and a half of Schubert's piano music I offer this assemblage admittedly not in the highest of hi-fi. Having processed several piano/orchestral works recently I found that my collection had three of the pianists playing Schubert pieces so here they are strung together in a sort of "Recital".
    The programme is :

1. Artur Schnabel: Moment Musicaux, Op. 90 No.1 in C major, No.2 in A flat major, No.3 in F minor,
    No.4 in C sharp minor, No.5 in F minor and No.6 in A flat major

2. Lili Kraus: Sonata in A minor Op.(posth)143 (D.784)

3. EdwinFischer: Impromptus, Op.90 Nos 2 in E flat major and 3 in G major ,
    Opus 142 No.3 in B flat major

4. Artur Schnabel: Sonata in A major (D.959)

As regards the quality, the Moments and Impromptu have the odd blemish as befits very popular recordings of their day. However the two sonatas have been played a lot less and have come up very well ( I hope you will think). The Fischer is playing as I write, pretty close to LP quality I would say.
    The A minor Sonata is a dour affair and Tom Service can give you his insight into it here

Tom Service: What was Franz Schubert's frame of mind when he composed this haunted work? Even worse than Gordon Brown's today, that's for sure ...

which includes a link to the opening page of the score. I had a listen to a couple of youtube efforts and found that the curse of modern piano playing, (over-)pedalling, had ruined them for me. You can hear what I mean here

and can compare with the less muddy playing of Lili Kraus especially in bars 27 to 32 approx.

The A major Sonata is an amazing work. High points for me are the chromatic nature of much of it, the way the repeated first melody of the slow movement is transformed by altering the supporting chords with a pedal bass note, the dancing chords of the Scherzo and the contrasting sections of the last movement which sort of stutters to an end. There is an interesting section at the end of the first movement where there are a series of fragments are linked by held notes and just before the end the penultimate phrase embodies a rise of a semitone but the following phrase subsides as if completely knackered. This recording came in an Album with those marvellous analytical notes. The trouble is that the excerpts from the score only show how Schnabel, like so many great interpeters, ignores some of the markings that the pedantic pianist (?moi?) thinks ought to be observed. I'll not bore you with details.
    If you decide to give this music a go at

Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.

you may note the presence of two more major Schubert works, the "Trout" quintet with Schnabel and the "Great" C major symphony. Also recently mentioned in discussions- Brahms 3.

P.S. I hope this doesn't take too long to load and that you can start listening to the Moments Musicaux almost immediately. Oops!!, the screen has switched to very small print on this computer. I'll have to go and check it elsewhere. The "Recital" is the lowest of the entries!!. Well, its come up fine on two other computers so panic over.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-02-13, 16:28.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Thanks, Clive - that sounds really tempting. Thanks a lot!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

I particularly liked the Fischer.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

i find that i always particularly like the Fischer

and thanks once more Clive for some wonderful archive recordings ...
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
          i find that i always particularly like the Fischer

and thanks once more Clive for some wonderful archive recordings ...
          How did he make those recordings? Did he record directly from 78s into a computer?

Comment

• clive heath

On outline of the process is in the website if you look around! If you want to know any more please ask, Clive

Comment

Working...
            X