• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
    Come on Cali - she's a bit excited at this stage don't you think?
    I agree, and that it's a goosebump moment!!

It was your phrase that made me jump!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ostuni
      • Nov 2010

Yes to all those Walküre moments mentioned by others. And another from Bruckner 8: not one of the loud perorations, but the magical quiet chorale on the Wagner tubas, first heard around 6-7 minutes into the Adagio (8½ for Celi, 5 for Schuricht...). And a Baroque one: that place in the opening Sonatina of the Actus Tragicus (BWV 106), where the recorders move from unison to thirds.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
        And another from Bruckner 8: not one of the loud perorations, but the magical quiet chorale on the Wagner tubas, first heard around 6-7 minutes into the Adagio
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

A few minutes before the end of Ein Heldenleben after the chanting passage in the horns, there's a magical change of key as the strings steal in as a sort of hearts ease, which never fails for me, especially in Karajan's first stereo recording.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            ...Elgar Symphony No 1 the last movement where the opening stalking theme is miraculously transformed (itself another transformation of the 'motto') into a full-throated string melody. A glorious moment but not all interpreters do it justice. Solti and Barbirolli amongst those who do...
            Here's a good example of conductors' interpretations. Almost no conductor (Boult included) obeys Elgar's markings through this wonderful passage. Elgar keeps the whole thing p or pp (I don't have a score in front of me) until only the last bar or two, when there is a huge crescendo. Vernon Handley observes this meticulously, but (just perhaps)) it fails to grab me in the way that Solti does, even though Solti's version is not Elgar's.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

So many,but for starters -

The closing bars of the first movement of RVW 6 (from the big tune to the end).
              The opening of the second movement of RVW string quartet no 2.
              Reconciliation from Dona Nobis Pacem by RVW.
              Alkan,Etude op. 76 No. 3 for hands reunited,all of it.
              The opening of Alwyn's Lyra Angelica.
              Mozart, String Quintet in G minor 2 notes in the finale,the last note of the slow intro,short pause,the the first note of the main theme,magical.
              Bach-Busoni Chaconne in D minor ,the bit(variation? development? don't know the musical term)from about 7:12 in the Alicia de Larrocha version.
              Yes,The Gates Of Delerium,the last 8 minutes or so,Soon oh soon the light,Pass within and soothe the endless night.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

The start of the Liebestod - especially if Nina Stemme is singing.

Comment

Working...
                X