Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Billy in the Darbies

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Bruckner: the end of the first movement of the 9th Symphony.
      I remember a very late Wand/BBC SO concert where I thought I was going to have a heart-attack so dramatic was the coda of this movement. Ironically Wand was doing almost nothing with his arms but the drama was stunning. Sadly, it'll never be released on CD as the fiddles made a complete horlicks of the leap of a 9th that begins the final movement

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        Billy in the Darbies
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
          I remember a very late Wand/BBC SO concert where I thought I was going to have a heart-attack so dramatic was the coda of this movement. Ironically Wand was doing almost nothing with his arms but the drama was stunning. Sadly, it'll never be released on CD as the fiddles made a complete horlicks of the leap of a 9th that begins the final movement
          The one that did it for me was a Haitink/Concertgebouw Prom in 1983. 30 years ago!
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Bruckner: the end of the first movement of the 9th Symphony.
            Waiting for the anaesthetic to wear off after root canal work this afternoon, I've been slumped on the sofa listening again to the 2012 Proms perf. of 9 by Haitink/VPO - marvellous.

That March 2009 9th with Haitink/Concertgebouw in the Barbican was pretty good I thought - I think you were there Petrushka?

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

For sheer power few moments in music can compete with Judith's High C orgasmic blasts at the opening of the fifth door ("Bluebeard's Castle"),

The grinding dissonance at the midpoint of the first movement of the Resurrection symphony;

The transition from darkest night to blazing day in the Scherzo/Finale passage of Beethoven 5

The leadback to the recapitulation of the first movement of the 9th symphony when Beethoven seems to be evoking the creation of the universe

The abortive triumphant fanfare passage in the first movement of Brahms 4 and the coda of the same movement

The hair raising start of the "tiny, little wisp of a scherzo" of Brahms PC2

Climax to the Song of the Wood Dove fromGurrelieder- particularly as sung by Brigitte Fassbaender, leaving absolutely no wellspring of emotion untapped

"and after each disintegration, the name of MAYAKOVSKY hangs in the clean .... air" (Berio's Sinfonia)

The opening timpani thwacks to Also Sprach Zarathustra

See if I can think of some others...

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                Waiting for the anaesthetic to wear off after root canal work this afternoon, I've been slumped on the sofa listening again to the 2012 Proms perf. of 9 by Haitink/VPO - marvellous.

That March 2009 9th with Haitink/Concertgebouw in the Barbican was pretty good I thought - I think you were there Petrushka?
                I was indeed - and I shall be seeing Haitink and the LSO in Bruckner 9 at the Barbican on Feb 17.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• JFLL
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Mozart Piano concertos are full of them. There are harmonic sideslips in the first movement of No 17 which get me every time.
                  I remember, from a long time ago, a description of Colin Davis rehearsing in which he called one of Mozart’s slips into the minor ‘the poison note’. Often with Mozart, though, the goosebumps or the prickling of the eyeballs seem to be caused by the illusion of absolute felicity – all’s right with the world, e.g., for me, the short duet ‘Prenderò quel brunettino’ in Così fan tutte in Böhm’s version with Schwarzkopf and Ludwig. (But that’s the piquant thing about Così – it’s full of the most ridiculous and cynical goings-on, but the music often seems to say something quite different.)

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                    Eroica
                    Isn't it a bit uncomfortable having goosebumps for 50 minutes?

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Many moments for me in baroque music..but I especially love that brief set of chords with strings and flutes in Rameau's "Pygmalion" when the statue comes to life...it always makes me shiver!

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Wagner: Die Walküre Act 3 the thrilling orchestral outburst between Brünnhilde's last words and Wotan's Farewell. This is a goosebump moment to end all goosebump moments - this would be my first choice.

Oh yes, that is fantastic isn't it? And then, just before Wotan's first "Leb Wohl", the horns thunder in with the first intimation of the sleep motif! Just magnificent.

That might well be my No.1 as well!!

Elgar Symphony No 1 the last movement where the opening stalking theme is miraculously transformed (itself another transformation of the 'motto') into a full-throated string melody. A glorious moment but not all interpreters do it justice. Solti and Barbirolli amongst those who do.
                        Or maybe it's that....so hard to choose!!
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Don Petter

Isn't it a bit uncomfortable having goosebumps for 50 minutes?
                          Only for Americans - We British have goose pimples, which are easier to tolerate.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Judith's orgasmic blasts
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

"and after each disintegration, the name of MAYAKOVSKY hangs in the clean .... air" (Berio's Sinfonia)....

Comment

• Sir Velo
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                                Come on Cali - she's a bit excited at this stage don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                                X