2 pianos on stage. What is the best set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

2 pianos on stage. What is the best set up?

I am not a pianist, but last evening's concert from Birmingham aroused my curiousity as to how the audio output from a concerto for two (or more) pianos is best achieved. So here are a few questions:

i) I assume that the instruments must be of the same make and size?

ii) Should the two concert grands be dovetailed, so that the soloists face each other?

iii) Am I right in assuming that both lids must be removed completely?

iv) Should the pianos be (a) individually miked or (b) given one stereo microphone to cover both instruments?

v) In the case of (b) above, should the left/right inputs be panned outwards to separate the two soloists?

The bandleader Victor Silvester (no relation to the cat) had two pianists in his orchestra; playing on huge grand pianos, sitting as far apart as was possible on the stage and they seemed to play well enough together. What would be the effect of copying Rossini's set up in his string serenades? (1st fiddles on the left, 2nd fiddles on the right)

It might work very well for last night's Mozart concerto, but I rather think not for the Poulenc.

I seem to remember playing that Mozart concerto in the dim distant past and also a Beethoven concerto for three pianos (or was it four?)

There must surely be a problem for the Audio mixer which would not be evident to the live audience?

Good morning all.

HS
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Don't know anything about the Beethoven but WAM composed concertos for two and three pianos (the latter, the so-called "Lodron",K242 for three musical ladies of his acquaintance). There are also parts for four pianos in Les Noces, of course.

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
      I assume that the instruments must be of the same make and size?
      Why? Would you demand that of any other type of instrumental duo?
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Surely they are usually dovetailed if the work is for 2 pianos. Over 60 years ago I remember one performance at the RAH of a Bach Concerto for FOUR keyboards.
        It was played inappropriately on four large concert grands. Although only accompanied by strings I remember the chaos on the platform, but can't remember the final solution reached.
        There was also a problem backstage as the four young women soloists had pretty dresses buttoned down the back, which caused a bit of back stage delay, I gather.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          Why? Would you demand that of any other type of instrumental duo?
          Often players do. The VPO insists on its stringed instruments being from the same manufacturer. I understand that the LSO oboists use Howarth models.

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Often players do. The VPO insists on its stringed instruments being from the same manufacturer. I understand that the LSO oboists use Howarth models.
            I'm not sure about Oboes, but I can certainly imagine that if one clarinettist was using,say, a Howarth clarinet and the other a Buffet R13, that would create potential problems with different tone colours and idiosyncrasies of intonation, the Howarth being quite a wide-bore clarinet and the Buffet on the narrow side. They're not issues that any professional musician shouldn't be able to overcome, but life would certainly be simpler if the instuments were the same. I am still absolutely certain that the only reason I never made into the Berlin Philharmonic is that they require their players to use German System clarinets. Their loss......

As for the VPO, I know that they have specific requirements for certain instruments- Oboes and Horns spring to mind- but Strings? I've never heard that before. Does that mean that a player can only audition for the Staatsoper/VPO if he plays an instrument from a specific manufacturer? Or if they pass the audition do they have to ditch an instrument they may have been playing for many years and get a new one? That sounds bizarre- and it must limit their number of potential members. "Former Concertmaster of the BPO? Forget it mate, you play the wrong make of Violin!"
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

The VPO stringed instruments are actually owned by the orchestra.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Back in 1960s at the Royal Albert Hall, there was a performance of the complete Hexameron Variations with no less than eight concert grands on the platform! All the pianists came on stage wearing scarlet lined cloaks, and removed their white gloves with a flourish as they sat down to play. I can't remember who they all were, but I know that David Wilde was among them, and a very young Howard Shelley
                As to the music, the sections by lesser composers like Pixis were a bit dull, but Liszt came off well!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  Back in 1960s at the Royal Albert Hall, there was a performance of the complete Hexameron Variations with no less than eight concert grands on the platform! All the pianists came on stage wearing scarlet lined cloaks, and removed their white gloves with a flourish as they sat down to play. I can't remember who they all were, but I know that David Wilde was among them, and a very young Howard Shelley
                  As to the music, the sections by lesser composers like Pixis were a bit dull, but Liszt came off well!
                  Shura Cherkassky must have been there, surely?

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    I do remember playing in that concert, in July 1972.

MTT was the conductor and there were actually SIX ( Hex...!) grands, played by David Wilde, Ronald Lumsden, Howard Shelley, Martin Hughes, Thomas Walsh and John Bingham.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post

MTT was the conductor and there were actually SIX ( Hex...!) grands, played by David Wilde, Ronald Lumsden, Howard Shelley, Martin Hughes, Thomas Walsh and John Bingham.
                      Bravo, waldhorn!

Shura must've been out of town that night

Comment

• Zucchini
                        • Nov 2010

Look at a few 2 piano performances on Youtube, Hornspieler and you'll have your answers.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post

Thanks for that, Waldhorn ! To be brutally honest, my memory of everything except the Hexameron is a bit hazy. I seem to remember that it was compered by Anthony Hopkins, but that may have been another occasion.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                            I am not a pianist, but last evening's concert from Birmingham aroused my curiousity as to how the audio output from a concerto for two (or more) pianos is best achieved.
                            Given that I am currently at an electroacoustic music festival
                            I would say that the perfect location would be spinning round the audiences heads one clockwise and the other anti

(which is an effect similar to one i've just heard in a piece in the dark in a hall with a multi channel diffusion system

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              Given that I am currently at an electroacoustic music festival
                              I would say that the perfect location would be spinning round the audiences heads one clockwise and the other anti
                              :
                              Probably not the most practical suggestion we've had on this subject.
                              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X