Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Another Biber fan here. Several recordings, I discovered HB via John Holloway's "Unam Ceylum" but now have Reinhard Goebel's Rosary Sonatas, Romanesca's Violin Sonatas.....
    Richard, as a guitar plucker yourself, perhaps you could tell me how authentic this version of the gigue-like Intrada to Sonata XII. Riccardo Minasi is the violinist. One of the stringed continuo instruments is being struck so hard that the strings vibrate too much, resounding in a loose, fuzzy way. I like the intended 'heaviness' of it (although the over-vibrating strings kind of kills it) but it surely can't be authentic.

The bit I'm on about starts about 30 seconds in: spotify:track:60lzCjBDAnWkXLAOrCpkjt

Perhaps M. Vinteuil, the dauphin of HiP nonpareil, will grace us with some insights, too.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      Richard, as a guitar plucker yourself, perhaps you could tell me how authentic this version of the gigue-like Intrada to Sonata XII. Riccardo Minasi is the violinist. One of the stringed continuo instruments is being struck so hard that the strings vibrate too much, resounding in a loose, fuzzy way. I like the intended 'heaviness' of it (although the over-vibrating strings kind of kills it) but it surely can't be authentic.

The bit I'm on about starts about 30 seconds in: spotify:track:60lzCjBDAnWkXLAOrCpkjt

Perhaps M. Vinteuil, the dauphin of HiP nonpareil, will grace us with some insights, too.
      Throppers, my computer won't display the webpage - do I need to be a Spotify subscriber? From what you say, perhaps someone is striking their diapasons too hard () - the "extra" bass strings that extend beyond the fingerboard? Is it a lute or a theorbo?

M. Vinteuil is also a Weiss enthusiast and the go-to guy in the circs.

Apologies, M. V, if said out loud the last statement could be misleading - I went to a guitar recital once, where the guitarist, a John Williams pupil named Anthea Gifford, announced that Bach's lute works were "inspired by Weiss", which did seem out of character.
      Last edited by Guest; 30-01-13, 18:40. Reason: clarification

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

My German Baroque nomination is Silvius Leopold Weiss, contemporary of Bach who wrote exclusively for the Baroque lute and whose compositions therefore disappeared off the radar for 200 years, along with the Baroque lute. His Tombeau sur la Mort de M. Comte de Logy has been a favourite in the guitar repertoire for half a century, look out also for his Tombeau sur la Mort de M Cajetan Baron d'Hartig - on the Baroque lute, a piece charged with real grief.

Robert Barto has been recording the suites on Naxos for a while now and has reached vol. 10 - dive in anywhere, but vols 1,5 and 10 all good places to start (5 includes the Logy Tombeau, 10 Baron Hartig). He knew Bach and son WF Bach.
        I have been enjoying this very much:
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Sylvius Leopold Weiss Lute Sonatas N 38,Tombeau,N 43
        Robert Barto (sound quality is not perfect)

Along with this:
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Girolamo Frescobaldi I Libro di Capricci 1624,
        Gustav Leonhardt

I feel rather guilty not buying the CDs but I am telling myself that I’ll get round to buy them one day…

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Biber indeed spent his important years at Salzburg, but he was

(thanks, Wiki)

Can you give us a quick run-down of geopolitical entities in the 1600s, r-f-g ?
          Well, Demetrius just gave the Cliff Notes version. There was awful lot of blood shed in that part of the world at that time for reasons that seem utterly opaque now.
          I

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Another good Biber Mass on disc is the "Missa Salisburgensis" on Archiv, featuring Goebel conducting the Musica Antiqua Koln , with Paul McCreesh conducting the Gabrieli Consort.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

If I remember rightly, I was one of those... A fine noise, and I certainly remember GB and his Fladdergross.
              Ostuni, good to meet again...even if in cyberspace. What struck me about the trombones (whose parts were largely doubling choral lines) is how beautifully they matched and complemented the voices. Thanks!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                Alas, BBM, I have been unable to locate Biber's Vespers. I was looking on the streaming site, Qobuz, but no joy thus far. Which recording do you have?
                It's on Sony Thropps. With La Capella Ducale, Musica Fiata, Roland Wilson.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  It's on Sony Thropps. With La Capella Ducale, Musica Fiata, Roland Wilson.
                  When I was originally writing this, i suddenly saw on my burgeonning shelves, that rather good DHM 50th Anniversary box, and recently, as you would have noticed in 'what you listening to now'; threerad various cdes from this box, the music of Telemann, v/vialdi, Zelenka and some others i have never heard of before. Before I knew it, I was halfway through this box! Great listening was had!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                  X