Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Yes, of course you did. It would have been made clear in the programme booklet and there terms and conditions referred to on your ticket.
    Are you sure Bryn? There was nothing like that on the ticket and a programme would have to be purchased.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

The ticket would have had a reference to there being terms and conditions with which you should acquaint yourself. It is pretty much standard. Even the free concert at the RAM I attended on Monday evening advised of the prohibition in the (also free) programme booklet).

Comment

• Beef Oven

The ticket would have had a reference to there being terms and conditions with which you should acquaint yourself. It is pretty much standard. Even the free concert at the RAM I attended on Monday evening advised of the prohibition in the (also free) programme booklet).
        The ticket didn't have any such thing on it. That's the first thing I checked. What may or may not have been printed on your RAM ticket has no bearing on what was printed on my ticket, and the programme had to bought. So that's that really.

Edit: Actually, the ticket wasn't the first thing I checked, that was a quick butcher's to see if there were any signs forbidding photography and there weren't. I checked my ticket on the tube on the way home.

In any case, I was asking about a protocol, not terms and conditions etc.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
          The ticket didn't have any such thing on it. That's the first thing I checked. What may or may not have been printed on your RAM ticket has no bearing on what was printed on my ticket, and the programme had to bought. So that's that really.

Edit: Actually, the ticket wasn't the first thing I checked, that was a quick butcher's to see if there were any signs forbidding photography and there weren't. I checked my ticket on the tube on the way home.

In any case, I was asking about a protocol, not terms and conditions etc.
          Don't wriggle

It's easiest to book online. You can also speak to one of our team by email, text, phone or WhatsApp.

Note:

"The taking of photographs, capturing of images or the use of any recording devices including mobile phones during any performance is strictly prohibited."

Comment

• Beef Oven

A few years ago I took my daughter to a concert at the Barbican, Verklarte Nacht and New World Symphony. A good programme to whet the appetite of a young kid I thought.

At the end of the concert, I got my camera out and took a few snaps of the conductor and the band as they were bowing etc. A group of teenagers in the row in front of me (in an otherwise superannuated audience) turned around and started to tell me off saying you're not allowed to take pictures and told me to stop!

As I was with my young daughter I had to temper my response to "are you a copper? No? Well shut up then". They desisted, but I shouldn't have been forced to defend myself like that.

Did I really fundamentally breach a protocol by taking photos?

P.S. There have been other occasions when this has happened to me.
            Don't wriggle

It's easiest to book online. You can also speak to one of our team by email, text, phone or WhatsApp.

Note:

"The taking of photographs, capturing of images or the use of any recording devices including mobile phones during any performance is strictly prohibited."
            My lawyer's better than yours and he'd get me off. He'd rely on the argument that the performance had finished and it would be impossible to take a photograph during something that was not extant.

That's wriggling, but I wasn't before.

Anyway, whilst I am confident about any terms and conditions, I must repeat that I was asking about a protocol, or a convention, or a consensual expectation!

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

My lawyer's better than yours and he'd get me off. He'd rely on the argument that the performance had finished and it would be impossible to take a photograph during something that was not extant.

That's wriggling, but I wasn't before.

Anyway, whilst I am confident about any terms and conditions, I must repeat that I was asking about a protocol, or a convention, or a consensual expectation!
              I think you will find (as I have) that as it's NOT a public space (like Trafalgar Square isn't nor is the embankment outside the RFH) that you aren't permitted to take photographs without permission.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                I think you will find (as I have) that as it's NOT a public space (like Trafalgar Square isn't nor is the embankment outside the RFH) that you aren't permitted to take photographs without permission.
                Stay out of this MrGG, I was doing well back there, he hadn't thought of that

Anyway, my lawyer would say that the Barbican had given implied permission because they had explicated the fact that the taking of photographs was not permitted during performances.

They clearly expected photoraphs to be taken, tacit permission, but would not tolerate such a thing during a performance, which, when all is said and done, is a perfectly reasonable position to take.
                Last edited by Guest; 30-01-13, 17:48.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Anyway, my lawyer would say that the Barbican had given implied permission because theyhad explicated the fact that the taking of photographs was not permitted during performances.
                  No chance matey
                  (ask Caliban ........... but buy him a pint first as the clock is always ticking @£100 per hour)

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Anyway, my lawyer would say that the Barbicangiven had implied permission because theyhad explicated the fact that the taking of photographs was not permitted during performances.
                    Yes, I think you'd need a good lawyer. Theatres and art galleries &c. often have blanket bans on taking photos. I would imagine they ought to display a notice somewhere about it, though.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven

No chance matey
                      (ask Caliban ........... but buy him a pint first as the clock is always ticking @£100 per hour)
                      I have only ever gotten free legal advice twice in the last 25 years. If I get it again, I'll not waste it on this

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Yes, I think you'd need a good lawyer. Theatres and art galleries &c. often have blanket bans on taking photos. I would imagine they ought to display a notice somewhere about it, though.
                        If they have a blanket ban, might one get away with a poncho?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Forever stuck in the 1970s, 2Gongs?
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Forever stuck in the 1970s, 2Gongs?
                            I know, I know, you wouldn't get out of bed for such a paltry sum these days

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I know, I know, you wouldn't get out of bed for such a paltry sum these days
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Beef Oven

I have just been PMed buy a lawyer who asked me not to name him (not caliban I hasten to add) and he says that my 'implied permission' argument and 'tacit agreement' notion, as outlined in post #22, are both ingenious and forceful.

Comment

Working...
                                X