• Sep 2013

Dvorak - Symphony #9
    LSO, Kertesz. Decca

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Carl Ruggles - 'Sun-treader'
      Michael Tilson Thomas, Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra.

Listening while I download a Hi-Res recording of the latest Naxos release of this et al, prompted by Mahleri's recent posts on this recording on another thread.

Coincidentally, 'Sun-treader' was the work that I kicked this thread off with five and a half years ago.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Listening while I download a Hi-Res recording of the latest Naxos release of this et al, prompted by Mahleri's recent posts on this recording on another thread.

Coincidentally, 'Sun-treader' was the work that I kicked this thread off with five and a half years ago.
        So how does the new recording compare with either of the MTT offerings (Boston and Buffalo)?

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
          "It's as if Bach wrote the Tchaikovsky Concerto -- in America!"

(Howard Pollack)

Walter Piston - Violin Concerto No. 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_td9gP4jFc

Unapologetically........Windham Hill

Ackerman and Winston - Hawk Circle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ntajf6-LsQ

and

George Crumb - Dream Sequence II - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqc-ZlAH3w
          Sorry, a bit late responding to this post., LL
          Do you know of Pisotn's chamber works? excellent Naxos surveys there

Comment

• mahlerei
            • Jun 2015

Sorry, BeefO, I should have posted those recommendations here.

FWIW here are my thoughts on the Naxos release:

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by mahlerei View Post
              Sorry, BeefO, I should have posted those recommendations here.

FWIW here are my thoughts on the Naxos release:

http://www.musicweb-international.co...on_8559836.htm
              I've already read your thoughts - but thanks anyway!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Ruggles was a pretty despicable human being, but he did manage to write some very striking music which should not be dismissed due to his character. I have never heard the live Cleveland/Christoph von Dohnányi recording of Sun-Treader, only their 'studio' effort, which is well sorth seeking out, but the live one is said to be even better.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Ruggles was a pretty despicable human being, but he did manage to write some very striking music which should not be dismissed due to his character. I have never heard the live Cleveland/Christoph von Dohnányi recording of Sun-Treader, only their 'studio' effort, which is well sorth seeking out, but the live one is said to be even better.
                  C'mon Bryn, he wasn't that bad! And, there are far more unsanitary racist things that get put about daily, these days.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

The Ruggles piece I most admire is Portals for String Orchestra. I find that his utterly unique style with harmony that is both atonal, personal & deeply satisfying is shown to best effect here. One can really appreciate this uniqueness in its greatest clarity in this absorbing piece.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      The Ruggles piece I most admire is Portals for String Orchestra. I find that his utterly unique style with harmony that is both atonal, personal & deeply satisfying is shown to best effect here. One can really appreciate this uniqueness in its greatest clarity in this absorbing piece.
                      I have that piece on the 'Complete Music Of Carl Ruggles' set by MTT & Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, but I haven't listened to Portals yet. When I do, I'll have in mind your words.

Comment

• Boilk
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Much of that strikingness in Ruggles's music might be in large part because of his character rather than inspite of it?

I wonder if there is music out there totally divorced from its composer's character? Difficult to think of examples, but Feldman was apparently very animated and talkative at seminars yet his music is generally pianissimo and slow.
                        Last edited by Boilk; 20-06-18, 13:05. Reason: Correcting typo

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Samuel Barber- Knoxville: Summer of 1915

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Samuel Barber- Knoxville: Summer of 1915
                            ???
                            Are you just saying it's an American Classic?

I've dug out my recording of Barber's Vanessa (original cast/cond Mitropoulos) to listen to in preparation for the live relay from Glyndebourne on 14 August.
                            I'm not sure that it qualifies as an American Classic, but Knoxville certainly does, in my books!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Love that Barber work. I like Silvia McNair singing it especially.
                              On Radio 3 this morning they had a work by a newly discovered American composer Florence Price, who died in 1952. They played her 2nd Violin Concerto, which is worth hearing imo.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                ???
                                Are you just saying it's an American Classic?

I've dug out my recording of Barber's Vanessa (original cast/cond Mitropoulos) to listen to in preparation for the live relay from Glyndebourne on 14 August.
                                I'm not sure that it qualifies as an American Classic, but Knoxville certainly does, in my books!
                                Knoxville for me is one of those settings to music that just misses out on the match between words and music.

Comment

Working...
                                X