• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Here's one for roots radicals (whatever he says) and rebirthers:

Sunrise at Chickasaw and Abstracts:

Interviews With Jerod Tate -

Chickasaw classical composer Jerod Impichchaachaaha' Tate talks with Journal Record multimedia editor Dave Rhea about his music and creativity. This video is...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Savannah Intalowa' (Song) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADzWi_qyej0

Taloowa' Chipota: 1. Sunrise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N4EGSZLFy8
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 22-10-16, 21:31.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

John Corigliano - String Quartet #1 (1995)

Jefferson Friedman - String Quartet #2 (1998)

Corigliano Quartet, Naxos.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Despite searching, I can't find a recent posting about the new Tana Quartet recording of Reich's Different trains that I think Beefy might have made.
        It is reviewed in December's Gramophone, with this comment (relevant to the posting, iirc):

For this Megadisc release, the Quatour Tana worked with audio engineer Philippe Muller. Both works were recorded in a concert-hall setting with the pre-recorded portions played back on ATOHM loudspeakers while the quartet played live, as it were. The result gives the quartet more sonic presence, which -- for better or for worse, depending on how you feel about these works -- highlights the musical content rather than the texts. The Tana are not as rhythmically taut as the Kronos (or the London Steve Reich Ensemble in Different Trains -- Warner, 11/11), but make up for this with playing that's admirably supple and tonally variegated.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Despite searching, I can't find a recent posting about the new Tana Quartet recording of Reich's Different trains that I think Beefy might have made.
          It is reviewed in December's Gramophone, with this comment (relevant to the posting, iirc):

For this Megadisc release, the Quatour Tana worked with audio engineer Philippe Muller. Both works were recorded in a concert-hall setting with the pre-recorded portions played back on ATOHM loudspeakers while the quartet played live, as it were. The result gives the quartet more sonic presence, which -- for better or for worse, depending on how you feel about these works -- highlights the musical content rather than the texts. The Tana are not as rhythmically taut as the Kronos (or the London Steve Reich Ensemble in Different Trains -- Warner, 11/11), but make up for this with playing that's admirably supple and tonally variegated.
          Not guilty. I’m a Kronos-man. Bryn talked about the Smiths (not The Smiths, of course). Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Not guilty. I’m a Kronos-man. Bryn talked about the Smiths (not The Smiths, of course). Sorry I can’t be of more help.
            Ah! My faulty memory, then.
            (Still no joy finding the original posting, even searching on Bryn's posts! Never mind. I thought it an interesting aspect of the new recording, though.)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

No Tana, though. You sure you’re not making this up?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...798#post587798

I wondered this (not the "making it up" bit) but rejected it because it's the string orchestra arrangement.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...798#post587798

Thanks for the link.
                  I wonder why I couldn't find it?
                  I'm not even using Firefox, which is causing jean problems, though my iPad has just crashed again while typing this reply; there's certainly something going on!

I had thought that Bryn's comments would likely refer to the new recording reviewed in Gramophone, and had completely forgotten that it was not a quartet version he was talking about; hence my (somewhat inappropriate) posting. I'll be sticking with the Kronos recording too.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

On Friday's Afternoon on 3, they played a work by an American composer, that ws part of the now-called 2nd American School. Can I remember the name of the aforesaid composer no, as I thought the work played as rather good.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      On Friday's Afternoon on 3, they played a work by an American composer, that ws part of the now-called 2nd American School. Can I remember the name of the aforesaid composer no, as I thought the work played as rather good.
                      Are you sure it was Friday's Ao3, Bbm? Just Mendelssohn, Haydn, and ... err ... Mozart on the schedules that afternoon.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Are you sure it was Friday's Ao3, Bbm? Just Mendelssohn, Haydn, and ... err ... Mozart on the schedules that afternoon.
                        Hmmm in that case I'm not sure, Ferney. Be glad of any help here.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

David Diamond - Symphony #4
                          Seattle Symphony, Gerard Scwarz. CD Delos.

I heard this symphony being played on R3 one Saturday afternoon over 25 years ago. I rushed out and bought it, beginning a low-voltage, slow-burn enjoyment and admiration for DD’s music.

EDIT: As I listen, I hear the percussion on this CD is very powerfully caught. Some of these older digital CDs are every bit as good as more recent recordings.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Hi beefy! What's he low down of Diamond's work like?
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Hi beefy! What's he low down of Diamond's work like?
                              It’s remarkably similar to this ....

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

David Diamond - Symphony #4
                                Seattle Symphony, Gerard Scwarz. CD Delos.

I heard this symphony being played on R3 one Saturday afternoon over 25 years ago. I rushed out and bought it, beginning a low-voltage, slow-burn enjoyment and admiration for DD’s music.

EDIT: As I listen, I hear the percussion on this CD is very powerfully caught. Some of these older digital CDs are every bit as good as more recent recordings.
                                Good that Naxos has rereleased much of the Delos catalogue, though in this case without the concerto.

Not sure when I first heard any Diamond, but I too have this original release, though probably not bought 25 years ago.
                                Must give it another spin.

Comment

Working...
                                X