• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Walter Piston.

Symphonies 5/7/8.

Louisville Orchestra.

Composers who smoke/smoked pipes get added points on my wall chart !

I wonder if any of the board composers indulge?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

These are along with the 1st, Piston's toughest symphonies ts. The 8th is a particularly severe work but one which displays fine craftsmanship. The 5th is IMO the weakest of Piston's symphonies, as it tends to be rather dry and doesn't hang together as successfully as his other symphonies. The 7th is the best of the three and a Pulitzer Prize winning work the fluidity of the writing is superb and he also manages to balance the tonal and atonal elements exceptionally well.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Walter Piston.

Symphonies 5/7/8.

Louisville Orchestra.

HeHe!

Of course they do, wall charts help keep them to deadlines.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
          These are along with the 1st, Piston's toughest symphonies ts. The 8th is a particularly severe work but one which displays fine craftsmanship. The 5th is IMO the weakest of Piston's symphonies, as it tends to be rather dry and doesn't hang together as successfully as his other symphonies. The 7th is the best of the three and a Pulitzer Prize winning work the fluidity of the writing is superb and he also manages to balance the tonal and atonal elements exceptionally well.
          thanks for the comments SC.

I have downloaded (uploaded?!) these works to my MP3 player, for serious attention !

incidentally, do you know anything by Cindy Mctee?

I rather liked one of her first symphony on naxos, on first listen but haven't got round to hearing it again, and nobody else seemed to have heard it.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

HeHe!

Of course they do, wall charts help keep them to deadlines.
            Lol.

Composers keeping to deadlines..... as if....

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Walter Piston.

Symphonies 5/7/8.

Louisville Orchestra.

I have that disc. It is very good but I wish Piston's music was more widely recorded.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                I have that disc. It is very good but I wish Piston's music was more widely recorded.
                Me too. A complete Piston symphonies cycle would be more than welcome

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  Me too. A complete Piston symphonies cycle would be more than welcome
                  Is music by Robert Ward ever played much ?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Not sure about that salymap . I see there is a recording of his Fourth Symphony available on Albany Records .

There is an extract here for anyone unfamiliar with his music like me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y9bCv-qV80

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      Not sure about that salymap . I see there is a recording of his Fourth Symphony available on Albany Records .

There is an extract here for anyone unfamiliar with his music like me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y9bCv-qV80

symphonies 2,3 and 6 are on Bay cities

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

What do boarders think of the music of George Crumb ? There is a very complete edition of his works on CD on the Bridge label. Probably his best known work is Ancient Voices of Children, which I heard at a late night Prom a couple of years ago. All his pieces, vocal or otherwise, make imaginative use of unusual timbres and percussive effects. Some of his music for two pianos borders on noise in my view, but is aways interesting. I would specially recommend the orchestral work A haunted Landscape, and the chamber work Dream Sequence is very haunting with its strange effects like insect wings.

Crumb is a figure unlike any other American Composer that I know, perhaps he is not for every day, but important.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                          ... perhaps he is not for every day, but important.
                          And those days that I do listen to him are always rewarding. Black Angels - wow!

Perhaps a bit "samey"? I don't think I'd get much out of hearing Echoes of Time & the River and Star Child played in the same concert; but a week apart ...
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            And those days that I do listen to him are always rewarding. Black Angels - wow!

Perhaps a bit "samey"? I don't think I'd get much out of hearing Echoes of Time & the River and Star Child played in the same concert; but a week apart ...

Black Angels.........the 110th greatest chamber work of all time.....OFFICIAL !!

List of 160 Greatest Classical Chamber Music Works, plus 15 Greatest composers of Chamber Music as compiled by digitaldreamdoor.com

Have to confess, I haven't heard any of his other work. I think I was working up courage !!

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                              What do boarders think of the music of George Crumb ? There is a very complete edition of his works on CD on the Bridge label. Probably his best known work is Ancient Voices of Children, which I heard at a late night Prom a couple of years ago. All his pieces, vocal or otherwise, make imaginative use of unusual timbres and percussive effects. Some of his music for two pianos borders on noise in my view, but is aways interesting. I would specially recommend the orchestral work A haunted Landscape, and the chamber work Dream Sequence is very haunting with its strange effects like insect wings.

Crumb is a figure unlike any other American Composer that I know, perhaps he is not for every day, but important.
                              I have liked Ancient Voices for ages - since the 1970s. In 2009 there as a Total Immersion day at the Barbican - http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/eve...il.asp?ID=9256
                              To summon spirits from the vasty deep is the ambition of too many overloaded contemporary scores. George Crumb is better than most at getting those spirits to come when he calls, yet even he touches the transcendental more surely the fewer instruments he engages. That, at least, seemed the conclusion to draw from the latest of the BBC Symphony Orchestra's perilous but admirable "Total Immersion" days exposing a curious audience to the style of one composer, and here giving us the chance to compare the grandiose and the intimate.

which was interesting, some of it enjoyable. I'm afraid I gave up for the big piece "Star Child" - wasn't sure if I could take it, though perhaps it'll not be performed again in the UK - not soon, anyway.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X