• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    Ah that's a pity, Bryn. looked liked a stoinking collection there!

I'm playing Ives's Concord Sonata now, as it happens!!(on YoutTube).
    The thing about that Lawson performance of Ives's First Sonata is that it's just too 'safe'. Of recordings made in the digital era, I find Joanna MacGregor's much more idiomatic (I'm not in general a major fan of her playing, but this I find well worth having). It can be found at quite reasonable prices in its re-issue form as part of a Warner/SoundCircus double album:

Strange that of Ives's Concord Sonata, MacGregor seems only to have ever recorded The Alcotts.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Henry Cowell.
      Ongaku/ Symphonies 11 and 15.
      Louisville Orchestra.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        The thing about that Lawson performance of Ives's First Sonata is that it's just too 'safe'. Of recordings made in the digital era, I find Joanna MacGregor's much more idiomatic (I'm not in general a major fan of her playing, but this I find well worth having). It can be found at quite reasonable prices in its re-issue form as part of a Warner/SoundCircus double album:

Strange that of Ives's Concord Sonata, MacGregor seems only to have ever recorded The Alcotts.
        Not too expensive I hope because that does look quite a good programme of great works there!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Is anyone where a Walter Piston fan? I've been listening to quite a bit of his music. I wish the Howard Hanson/Eastman recording of the 3rd Symphony would be transfered to a digital format; I've ordered 3 lp versions only to have them all arrive in a virtually unlisteneable state of repair.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            Is anyone where a Walter Piston fan? I've been listening to quite a bit of his music. I wish the Howard Hanson/Eastman recording of the 3rd Symphony would be transfered to a digital format; I've ordered 3 lp versions only to have them all arrive in a virtually unlisteneable state of repair.
            Conveniently buy, stream or download at Naxos anytime. Add 9.81050 from Naxos Classical Archives to your classical music collection today.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Not available this side of the pond, unfortunately

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

american Piano Trios.
                Beach/Copland/Ives/ Bloch/ Cowell.

The Hartley Trio.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  american Piano Trios.
                  Beach/Copland/Ives/ Bloch/ Cowell.

The Hartley Trio.
                  Snap. To be followed by Lou Harrison's Piano Concerto with Selected Orchestra (Joanna MacGregor et al).

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Snap. To be followed by Lou Harrison's Piano Concerto with Selected Orchestra (Joanna MacGregor et al).
                    that is very odd , nay weird.
                    Picked this up by chance on amazon the other day for ÂŁ2. just looked to good to miss. I take it you like the disc?

(since spooky things are happening, I'll spin some Harrison tonight, though it will have to be youtube or spotty. Don't have much of his stuff. 2nd symphony is groovy though.)

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                      • Nov 2010

I'm a great admirer of Walter Piston's music and have recordings of nearly his entire output. I've got the mercury lp of the 3rd Symphony and also a download of the Albany recording conducted by James Yannatos with a couple of Yannatos's own works, the performance isn't too bad at all.

Comment

• Don Petter

Like this?

Superb award-winning historic classical, jazz and blues recordings restored and remastered to the highest standards. CDs, HD downloads and streaming services.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                          Thanks, Don. I ordered the cD version

Comment

• Don Petter

Thanks, Don. I ordered the CD version
                            Richard. Pleased to help - Hope you enjoy the re-acquaintance!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Naxos also has a good recording of Piston's violin concertos.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                Naxos also has a good recording of Piston's violin concertos.
                                They do indeed. The whole Naxos Piston series gets a lot of playing time here.

Comment

Working...
                                X