American Classics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oliver

The Naxos American series is certainly worth exploring. I particularly enjoy Jerome Moross's Frankie and Johnny (8.559086) which I first heard fifty years ago when I used to be a member of the US Embassy's library in London. It had an interesting collection of LPs of American music; not just the usual suspects (though the Barber 1st Symphony and Copland's sadly-underplayed Piano Concerto certainly made an impression) but lesser known composers like Hanson and Piston.
    By the way, Moross wrote the music for an extremely dull western, The Big Country (the only good thing about that film) and for the TV series Wagon Train.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Oliver View Post
      The Naxos American series is certainly worth exploring. I particularly enjoy Jerome Moross's Frankie and Johnny (8.559086) which I first heard fifty years ago when I used to be a member of the US Embassy's library in London. It had an interesting collection of LPs of American music; not just the usual suspects (though the Barber 1st Symphony and Copland's sadly-underplayed Piano Concerto certainly made an impression) but lesser known composers like Hanson and Piston.
      By the way, Moross wrote the music for an extremely dull western, The Big Country (the only good thing about that film) and for the TV series Wagon Train.
      I must confess that I've never heard of Jerome Moross before!

I will definitely investigate his music.

Your experience of the US Embassy Library sounds wonderful - these days we rely on Spotify, Youtube and the on-line Naxos Library!!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          I curse the day that certain parties learned to copy the image of a CD cover - what next? Images of the nutitional information of Kellogg's Cornflakes - back OT with style I like to think

Tell us about your reaction to the music!

[with apologies to Hornspieler for a poor impersonation ]
          Especially when it's then included in a reply (& even more so when the reply is just below the post being replied to) - it's easy to delete the image from a quote. If the reader wants to see the image then they can refer back to the post.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Naxos's recording of Samuel Barber's piano music is surprisingly well worth investigating.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Oliver

Anyone else here who enjoyed the US Embassy library? It wasn't huge but it was certainly esoteric. I got to know the Menotti operas (The Saint of Bleeker Street and The Consul were my favourite and both have modern performnaces avaialable on Chandos) though Eliot Carter was a bit beyond my foruteen/fifteen year-old self. And there was Ives of course, and series of recordings by the Eastman-Rochester orchestra. Morton Gould's Latin-American Symphonette was a delight, too.

Alas; those days are long-since gone. In those days the US won friends with its culture instead of enemies with its drone strikes! I doubt that, nowdays, I'd be allowed into the Embassy.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Whatis that like Beefy?
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Whatis that like Beefy?
                    Exactly BBM

Do tell, Beefy

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      Whatis that like Beefy?
                      Both are good.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                        Both are good.
                        Good?

Oh good

Does that include the artwork?
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-05-13, 14:09. Reason: artwork query

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          Good?

Oh good

Does that include the artwork?
                          Art work is good.

You have given yourself quite a task. There are so many posts without reviews by so many people that you must pick up on, unless of course you are singling me out for some reason.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                            Art work is good.

You have given yourself quite a task. There are so many posts without reviews by so many people that you must pick up on, unless of course you are singling me out for some reason.
                            I'm employing the method favoured by Miss Jean Brodie, Beefy

Comment

• Beef Oven

David Diamond, Symphony #4. Will play #8 next.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Steve Reich - Different Trains. When I first heard this piece I could not get over the utter poignancy of the title. I don't know if Reich thought of it himself, but it is so moving (and no pun please).

Comment

Working...
                                X