X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AmpH
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
    I see the Nimbus disc includes one of my favourite Copland scores, the Nonet. I love the richness and autumnal feeling of this work. Perhaps because of the unusual scoring, 3 each of violins, violas & cellos, we hear it so very rarely.
    Indeed. The coupling of the Nonet was one of the reasons I was originally attracted to this disc. The only other recording I know of is by ESO / William Boughton, also on Nimbus.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

I have the Sony/CBS recording of the Nonet by the Columbia Chamber Orchestra with Copland directing, I'm not sure if its currently available.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
        I have the Sony/CBS recording of the Nonet by the Columbia Chamber Orchestra with Copland directing, I'm not sure if its currently available.
        Available "Used - Very Good" at low price via amazon.co.uk marketplace.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Yes. my headmaster wanted us to listen to the last movement(when the singers come in of LvB's 9th!) Mind it you, looking back I think the school had a copy of Furtwangler conducting!)
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            Speaking of Samuel Barber I forgot that I have this cd too,a gem of a record.

I've just bought this disc and listened last night to the powerful 1st symphony and an Essay for Orchestra.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Northerner, thats not a bad series?
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                I've just bought this disc and listened last night to the powerful 1st symphony and an Essay for Orchestra.
                enjoy. I got it just before xmas. Brilliant stuff.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Can I - as we're talking American classics here - make as loud as possible a plea here for ROGER SESSIONS? His best work is easily among the most deserving of the other pieces that have been cited here...

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    Can I - as we're talking American classics here - make as loud as possible a plea here for ROGER SESSIONS? His best work is easily among the most deserving of the other pieces that have been cited here...
                    AH

I have only tentatively looked at Session's music, but I was captivated by his music from the first moment I heard it. (Symphony# 8 as it goes).
                    So, a thumbs up from the american Classics reception class too !
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                      • Nov 2010

Sessions music certainly is of the highest quality, I've tried to highlight the symphonies as I've been going through my symphonic journey. I think I've got almost his entire published output in recordings, outside of the symphonies there are many other works among them the Violin and Piano Concertos, the two string quartets, string quintet, the three piano sonatas, his moving setting of Whitman, 'When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd' and the opera Montezuma. A lot of his output was written in the last 35 years of his life and some of it is quite demanding, but somehow despite the difficulty, one becomes totally hooked.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Just listening to Barber's Piano Concerto. Rather good, imo.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven

Comment

• amateur51

I curse the day that certain parties learned to copy the image of a CD cover - what next? Images of the nutitional information of Kellogg's Cornflakes - back OT with style I like to think

Tell us about your reaction to the music!

[with apologies to Hornspieler for a poor impersonation ]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Schuman 3/5 symphony for Strings/8
                                NYP/Bernstein.

Comment

Working...
                                X