• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
    A favourite Copland disc ...
    Copland's Appalachian Spring is usually heard in its orchestral suite version, but I much prefer it as played here, as originally scored for 13 person chamber orchestra which (imv) best brings out the beauty and intimacy of the music. The Nonet is also a fine work.
    Is the performance/recording of Appalachian Spring up to the standard of DRD's earlier one with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra (1981 Grammy award)? That's a favourite of mine, bought for the Ives Third coupling, I have to admit:

Comment

• AmpH
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Is the performance/recording of Appalachian Spring up to the standard of DRD's earlier one with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra (1981 Grammy award)? That's a favourite of mine, bought for the Ives Third coupling, I have to admit:

I am not aware of the performance / recording to which you refer ( do you have a link ? ), although I am aware of a recording by the St Pauls forces with Hugh Wolff originally on Teldec I believe. I have loved the chamber version of AS since playing in a performance of it at school ( many years ago ! ) and find this performance / recording very persuasive. Mind you, I was also attracted to the Nimbus disc by the couplings - in particular the Nonet which has rarely been recorded.

Comment

• AmpH
        • Feb 2012

Bryn - re my #242 - your picture did not appear when I originally read your message.

Comment

• Black Swan

I too prefer the 13 instrument version of Appalachian Spring which is one of my favorite works.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

I still think you cannot top Isaac Stern in the barber Concerto - splendid as Bell, Shaham and Hahn in their different ways are.

Comment

• Beef Oven

A favourite Copland disc .....

Copland's Appalachian Spring is usually heard in its orchestral suite version, but I much prefer it as played here, as originally scored for 13 person chamber orchestra which (imv) best brings out the beauty and intimacy of the music. The Nonet is also a fine work.
              I prefer the orchestral version, but the discussion has made me think that I need to give the chamber version a closer listen.

Comment

• AmpH
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                I prefer the orchestral version, but the discussion has made me think that I need to give the chamber version a closer listen.
                give the chamber version a good listen - you may be surprised.

I do like the orchestral suite - NYPO / Lenny B still sounds good and the full orchestral ballet score on the RCA SFSO / Tilson Thomas recording is even better, but I am always happiest when I return to the composer's original thoughts.

Comment

• Beef Oven

give the chamber version a good listen - you may be surprised.

I do like the orchestral suite - NYPO / Lenny B still sounds good and the full orchestral ballet score on the RCA SFSO / Tilson Thomas recording is even better, but I am always happiest when I return to the composer's original thoughts.
                  In the mid/late sixties in school assembly, we sang Sydney Carter's 'Lord Of The Dance' every week, along with 'Morning Has Broken' and songs from the musical 'Hair'. We must have had a pretty progressive guy planning the assemblies! Anyway, I always associated Appalachian Spring with big bold music, so the orchestral version feels more 'right' for me.

Comment

• Black Swan

I totally agree on the Tilson Thomas recording. It is my favorite full orchestra version, although I have Bernstein and Copland both conducting who are very good as well. I love this work except when parts get overplayed on Breakfast.

Comment

• AmpH
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                      In the mid/late sixties in school assembly, we sang Sydney Carter's 'Lord Of The Dance' every week, along with 'Morning Has Broken' and songs from the musical 'Hair'. We must have had a pretty progressive guy planning the assemblies! Anyway, I always associated Appalachian Spring with big bold music, so the orchestral version feels more 'right' for me.
                      Your school assemblies were certainly more interesting than mine ! I have mixed feelings when it comes to ' Lord of the Dance ' ever since I was obliged to go ( with my then beau ) to Michael Flatley's show - still haven't recovered !

Comment

• AmpH
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
                        I totally agree on the Tilson Thomas recording. It is my favorite full orchestra version, although I have Bernstein and Copland both conducting who are very good as well. I love this work except when parts get overplayed on Breakfast.
                        MTT does seem to have a real affinity for this music - the natural successor to Bernstein I think.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                          • Nov 2010

I see the Nimbus disc includes one of my favourite Copland scores, the Nonet. I love the richness and autumnal feeling of this work. Perhaps because of the unusual scoring, 3 each of violins, violas & cellos, we hear it so very rarely.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Your school assemblies were certainly more interesting than mine ! I have mixed feelings when it comes to ' Lord of the Dance ' ever since I was obliged to go ( with my then beau ) to Michael Flatley's show - still haven't recovered !
                            Makes me feel queasy just thinking about it - and you had to sit through it!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Anyone had a listen to this ?

Things Gnostic, Coptic, Hermetic and Sufi take me to Egypt in the summer and I have been impressed by a new Naxos CD of music by the Arab...

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                Certainly a new one one me. He's not even 30 yet, so much more to come. Four symphonies in the bag already.

He's gone on my list to check out over the coming weeks.

Interesting. Cheers He Of More than One Gong.

Comment

Working...
                                X