• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
    The Ukrainian orchestra, actually play quite well in their recordings of American music and in the recording of the Piston Violin Concertos very idiomatically, that recording in particular is highly recommendable. The recording of Harris 7th isn't too bad, the side drum player is a little heavy with the rhythm and the oboe's tone is a little thin at times, and it takes a few bars for the orchestra to get into the 11/8 rhythm in the variations in assymetrical meter section of the work plus someone has added a cymbal roll on the final chord which isn't in the score. Their performance of Harris's 9th Symphony is pretty good, but not quite the equal of the Albany recording. I've commented on the two Antheil symphonies above during my symphonic journey, Antheil is certainly influenced by Prokofiev in particular in these works and the orchestra seems very much at home in them.
    As ever, SC, we are in your debt for your in depth posts of this nature! thank you!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Ballet Mécanique is a classic of the American experimentalists
      so if your taste is for Metal Machine Music as arranged by Shosty then he is your man ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Antheil
      yes, I'm familiar with that work. Love the description too!

Comment

• Beef Oven

The Ukrainian orchestra, actually play quite well in their recordings of American music and in the recording of the Piston Violin Concertos very idiomatically, that recording in particular is highly recommendable. The recording of Harris 7th isn't too bad, the side drum player is a little heavy with the rhythm and the oboe's tone is a little thin at times, and it takes a few bars for the orchestra to get into the 11/8 rhythm in the variations in assymetrical meter section of the work plus someone has added a cymbal roll on the final chord which isn't in the score. Their performance of Harris's 9th Symphony is pretty good, but not quite the equal of the Albany recording. I've commented on the two Antheil symphonies above during my symphonic journey, Antheil is certainly influenced by Prokofiev in particular in these works and the orchestra seems very much at home in them.
        Indebted indeed for your contributions SC

I must so though, that symphony #4 is almost aural pastiche of DSCH!!!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

And we are interested to know if you can describe how, for instance, the Ukrainians get on with the music
          See SC's post for that

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
            Some have lebelled George Antheil as the American Shostakovich. I actually think they have a point.
            But WHAT point? Medtner was dubbed "the Russian Brahms" and Roslavets "the Russian Schönberg". Hmmm. Ridiculously misleading and unedifying thought these uninvited and unwarranted epithets are, how anyone could possibly be "the American Shostakovich" beats them both to bits!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
              But WHAT point? Medtner was dubbed "the Russian Brahms" and Roslavets "the Russian Schönberg". Hmmm. Ridiculously misleading and unedifying thought these uninvited and unwarranted epithets are, how anyone could possibly be "the American Shostakovich" beats them both to bits!
              Ok, it's a bit complex, but if you listen to symphony#4, it sounds just like someone writing a symphony that sounds just like DSCH to the ears. What you do with your brain after it has gotten past your ears, is entirely a matter for you.

It's something that's been said a fair few times - but look, don't get stressed out by it.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Having moved beyond Harris' 3 and listened to 7 & 9, I have now moved on to Symphony #6, 'Gettysburg'.

I am struggling to understand how this composer's music has been largely ignored by the major recording companies down the years, that's to say nothing on how come American orchestras and conductors appear not to have championed his music.

This CD has the interesting benefit of an American female conductor, and the only observation I would make is that she opts for a cooler approach to parts of the work (e.g. Part 1, 'Awakening') that could have been a little more emotionally tugging.

The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra's track record puts it in good standing and they receive a recording that is very clear with just the right amount of warmth.

Here's a link to a brief review by the erudite David Hurwitz from 'Classics Today' http://www.classicstoday.com/review/...5286/?search=1

Comment

• Black Swan

Why American Orchestras don't support American Music. I have always felt that it is purely commercial in that the recordings don't sell. But have no idea. I will have to go back and listen to this Symphony. I purchased the Harris Naxos recordings when they were released but probably haven't given the listening time they deserve.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

Your observation on the above recording of the 6th Symphony is spot on Beef Oven, Alsop never quite opens up, the Albany recording under Keith Clark (a student of Harris's btw) is far more expressive. IMO the 1st movement of the 6th is Harris's finest individual movement and a perfect example of his highly indivdual method of musical construction, All those thematic fragments gradually coalescing into that glorious cantilena on the strings (I've seen the original copyist score of the work with some corrections in Harris's hand and he made a few changes to make sure that the 'tune' really sings through), certainly one of my big goosebump moments!
                    Alsop's performance of the 5th is pretty good though (just a couple of small errors) and she does play the 1st movement complete for the 1st time. I have an off-air recording of the Chicago S O under Kubelik playing this work which, apart from a couple of fluffed trumpet notes & playing a slightly cut 1st movement' is very good, especially in the central movement.
                    The Chicago S O did perform the 6th in their 2010/11 concert series, but I haven't come across any commercial or non-commercial recording sadly.

PS Tuesday 12th February is Harris's 115th Birthday btw!

Comment

• Beef Oven

Your observation on the above recording of the 6th Symphony is spot on Beef Oven, Alsop never quite opens up, the Albany recording under Keith Clark (a student of Harris's btw) is far more expressive. IMO the 1st movement of the 6th is Harris's finest individual movement and a perfect example of his highly indivdual method of musical construction, All those thematic fragments gradually coalescing into that glorious cantilena on the strings (I've seen the original copyist score of the work with some corrections in Harris's hand and he made a few changes to make sure that the 'tune' really sings through), certainly one of my big goosebump moments!
                      Alsop's performance of the 5th is pretty good though (just a couple of small errors) and she does play the 1st movement complete for the 1st time. I have an off-air recording of the Chicago S O under Kubelik playing this work which, apart from a couple of fluffed trumpet notes & playing a slightly cut 1st movement' is very good, especially in the central movement.
                      The Chicago S O did perform the 6th in their 2010/11 concert series, but I haven't come across any commercial or non-commercial recording sadly.

PS Tuesday 12th February is Harris's 115th Birthday btw!
                      I did not know that another recording of the 6th existed, I just sensed from the music I was hearing from the very first movement that the writing clearly has more in mind!

I have not listened to the 5th yet.

Good that the CSO performed this work fairly recently, but heart-breaking that beyond that, the trail goes cold.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
                        Why American Orchestras don't support American Music. I have always felt that it is purely commercial in that the recordings don't sell. But have no idea. I will have to go back and listen to this Symphony. I purchased the Harris Naxos recordings when they were released but probably haven't given the listening time they deserve.
                        Please let us know your post-listening views.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Two things spring to mind that could help give these kind of works more exposure.
                          1. longer concert programmes.
                          2. A different model for some Professional orchestras. The current model for full professional orchestras makes the economics really tough, and leads I am sure to conservative programming, understandably so.
                          Amateur orchestras (and choirs) often offer interesting programmes. Somewhere down the line, as economics continue to be tough, there may be room for more semi pro orchestras, part time bands, who knows? It may have to come. But with lower costs might come room at a certain level for more creative programming. Perhaps i am just deluded, but things like semi professional models work in areas such as sport, and there is plenty of under utilised musical talent around.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Black Swan

Suffolkcoastal,

What do your recommend for the 8th symphony? And are there any available recordings of the Concerto for String Quartet, Piano, and Clarinet?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                              • Nov 2010

There is only one recording of the 8th Symphony on Albany (coupled with the 9th Symphony and Memories of a Child's Sunday) the recording is very good too. There are no current available recordings of the Concerto for Clarinet, Piano & String Quartet. It has only been recorded twice to my knowledge, in 1933 and 1976, which really is quite unforgivable, neither to my knowledge have made it to CD. You can hear it though on Youtube.

Comment

• Black Swan

As always, many thanks to Suffolkcoastal. I will try the 8 and 9 on Albany. Tell me have any of the symphony's past 9 been recorded? Just wondering. I have been re listening to my current CD's and really enjoying Harris.

Comment

Working...
                                X