Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suffolkcoastal
    • Nov 2010

I haven't taken to Tower's music as yet, what I've heard so far seems a little superficial.

Any thoughts on some of the earlier American composers such as MacDowell, Paine, Chadwick, Cadman, Converse, Parker, Farwell and Foote?

Chadwick always come across as better than I would expect and John Knowles Paine's 1st Symphony of 1876, is IMO worthy to stand up against many European works of that period. Arthur Foote's chamber music is pretty competent and often highly attractive and Horatio Parker (Ives's teacher) was quite popular in the UK around the same time as Elgar.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Ferret I think the key information is
      George Crumb and specifically Black Angels
      but there's so much more

Is it just me who is keen on this one ?
      (i'm sure Beefy has this now )

and

Ellen Fullman ?

or should I make a new thread for the eccentric niche musics that some of us love so much ?
      I'll try to give it a listen.
      Speaking personally, I would like a thread for things that are a bit niche, since it will then be easier to locate pieces of interest. . Also would be good to head there when in the mood for something a bit different.
      Worth a try, maybe?
      I must say about Black Angel, it has been on my mind, if not my car stereo today !
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        I must say about Black Angel, it has been on my mind, if not my car stereo today !

I'd definitely avoid operating dangerous machinery to Black Angels

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
          I haven't taken to Tower's music as yet, what I've heard so far seems a little superficial.
          Having listened now to the two other orchestral pieces on the Tower CD, I must agree, Suffolkcoastal. All three pieces are much of a muchness and not sufficiently individually attractive to my ears.
          Last edited by Guest; 28-01-13, 16:27. Reason: placing now

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

I'd definitely avoid operating dangerous machinery to Black Angels
            If they don't replace my company car soon, that is exactly what its going to be!
            Any used copies on market place, d'you think?!
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

What's this Black Angels likem in style?
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Not really Gangnam !!
                Youtube it, BBM, and keep any pets well away !!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Not really Gangnam !!
                  Youtube it, BBM, and keep any pets well away !!
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Like this:

"Filarmonica" - Quartet. Chamber Hall of Novosibirsk Philharmonic Society, 04.03.2012. Russia, Novosibirsk. www.filarmonicaquartet.ruwww.philharmonia-nsk.ru/...
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      I don't think being a composer makes too much difference. I do have a score of the work (I've got scores of all the Schuman symphonies apart from the withdrawn 1st, 2 and 10.) and I feel that Schuman was a little too anxious to repeat the success of his 3rd Symphony and composed the work too quickly in its aftermath (as Harris did with his 2nd Symphony after the success of the 1st). Mind you a weaker work by Schuman is better than 'strong' works by other composers and I quite enjoy the work too. The other main work on the disc the 9th, is a masterpiece, though I wish Ormandy's recording (which I have on LP) would be issued on CD.
                      Thanks SC for your considered response. Your and ahinton's views on this are a challenge to my pre-conceived ideas concerning such works; and specifically on Schuman's 4th, I guess that I was missing the point that there is nothing wrong with it in absolute terms. Relatively, it is better than many other composers' work, but perhaps inferior to, say, his symphonies 6 & 9. Once again, thanks.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Having listened now to the two other orchestral pieces on the Tower CD, I must agree, Suffolkcoastal. All three pieces are much of a muchness and not sufficiently individually attractive to my ears.
                        Amsy, I agree about the other pieces on the disc, they are obviously fillers. I am listening to the Concerto For Orchestra as I type this post and I am loving every moment!! Maybe I need to go back to my Led Zeppelin and Hawkwind roots

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

El-Dabh - Crossing into the Electric Magnetic

(Egyptian-American)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Quite amazing! Luckily the cat wasnt around!!
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                              Maybe I need to go back to my Led Zeppelin and Hawkwind roots
                              Talking of which this

Sepultura's video for 'Roots Bloody Roots' from the album,Roots - available now on Roadrunner Records. Download the album on iTunes: http://smarturl.it/sep-r...

wrong America ?

Comment

• Beef Oven

I played this CD a few times yesterday on my journey to and from Manchester and I'm liking it more and more! - Tower certainly gives the percussionists a lot to do in her 'Concerto For Orchestra'!!

Although Leonard Slatkin made a 'Dark-horse' appearance in the Walton 1 thread on these boards, I think he's often overlooked.

Here's a helpful review from 'Classics Today'

Tower: Made in America/Slatkin

Review by: Jed Distler

Artistic Quality: 10

Sound Quality: 10

Tower: Made in America/Slatkin

Joan Tower’s Made in America resulted from a commissioning project involving 65 smaller-budget American orchestras; it was designed to challenge without intimidation, and to be accessible as opposed to simplistic. The work typifies Tower’s splendid ear for sonority and her subtle harmonic sense, not to mention her ease and authority operating within the American symphonic syntax as defined by Copland and his circle. And like a good American, Tower proves an equal opportunity employer in that each orchestral section gets its fair share, so to speak. She uses America the Beautiful not so much as a main theme but rather as a jumping off point.

More virtuosic demands permeate Tower’s 1991 Concerto for Orchestra, where soloists and smaller instrumental groups assert both their individual profile and facility to engage in chamber-like combat with their neighbors. I’m especially taken with the lengthy yet riveting tuba solo and the wild brass/percussion sparring near the end. Although Leonard Slatkin’s interpretation may not always match the playful, somewhat lighter bearings of the composition’s earlier recording on Koch with Marin Alsop and the Colorado Symphony, the Nashville Symphony boasts lustier strings, heftier brass, and stronger, more decisive percussion players. The latter, in fact, brilliantly dominate throughout Tambor, and will prove hard to beat (pun intended) should another maestro dare to challenge this premiere recorded version. Naxos’ first-rate engineering mirrors the music’s excitement and immediacy. Enthusiastically recommended! [6/12/2007]
                                Last edited by Guest; 30-01-13, 13:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X