• Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    Roy Harris - 3rd, 4th......and 6th:

I very much like these.
    Many thanks Lat. Haven't listened to 6 in a very long while and I really enjoyed this YouTube performance.* Didn't have a recording, so I have just downloaded Marin Alsop's Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra recording from Qobuz

*Love those Ayn Randesque images on the YouTube vid!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Some interesting items in the 8 page American section in the latest edition of Gramophone, including Harbison's Requiem, Barber's piano sonata and Carter's clarinet quintet.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Not really - Naxos' business model is well-known and has been for many years. More of an interesting observation rather than anything else, I'd say.
        I suppose many of the Naxos recordings are the only available, indeed maybe the only recordings of many of these American works so we have no idea whether the caught the vibe or not. Paul Polivnik has strong American connections!

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Some interesting items in the 8 page American section in the latest edition of Gramophone, including Harbison's Requiem, Barber's piano sonata and Carter's clarinet quintet.
          Which is that?
          Perhaps you have early access to January 2019's issue, or is this section only for online subscribers?
          I see nothing in the (printed) December 2018 issue.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            I suppose many of the Naxos recordings are the only available, indeed maybe the only recordings of many of these American works so we have no idea whether the caught the vibe or not. Paul Polivnik has strong American connections!
            Yes, not an awful lot of choice. Naxos have been threatening a cycle fir a long time but it never materialised. Happily William Schuman is better served. Incidentally, I think I may prefer Shuman to Harris, but don’t tell Suffolkcoastal!!!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Many thanks Lat. Haven't listened to 6 in a very long while and I really enjoyed this YouTube performance.* Didn't have a recording, so I have just downloaded Marin Alsop's Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra recording from Qobuz

*Love those Ayn Randesque images on the YouTube vid!
              Excellent.

I have added some comments to your comments on Harris posted on Suffolkcoastal's Symphonic Journey.

Now:

Not classics and some might question their musical merits entirely but I choose whatever intrigues me and often people who I am guessing have never been mentioned on the forum before. So, on this basis, two links from someone who was at one time close to Sinatra and who spent a lot of time regretting that his classical music was not being received kindly:

Alec Wilder:

Fantasy : Piano & Wind Ensemble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDINlyWNmr8

Wilder's Sonata-Fantasy for Piano - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0MczGtWFPg

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                Excellent.

I have added some comments to your comments on Harris posted on Suffolkcoastal's Symphonic Journey.

Now:

Not classics and some might question their musical merits entirely but I choose whatever intrigues me and often people who I am guessing have never been mentioned on the forum before. So, on this basis, two links from someone who was at one time close to Sinatra and who spent a lot of time regretting that his classical music was not being received kindly:

Alec Wilder:

Fantasy : Piano & Wind Ensemble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDINlyWNmr8

Wilder's Sonata-Fantasy for Piano - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0MczGtWFPg

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

David Diamond - Symphony #2
                  Seattle Symphony Orchestra, Gerard Schwarz. Naxos.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

William Schuman - Symphony #4

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

In an article in July 2019's Gramophone, Gerard Schwarz writes about Forgotten American symphonies, and specifically mentions:
                      Creston: S3
                      Schuman: S3
                      Diamond: S2
                      Hanson: S3
                      Mennin: S3
                      Hovhaness: S2
                      Piston: S4

Which others would forumites include?
                      Of Schwarz's list, the Mennin is the only one I don't have, so I must see if I can stream it.

As an aside, I was contemplating launching a thread (Sumer BaL or Recordings in Discussion) on the not-so-forgotten Copland S3; any takers?

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        In an article in July 2019's Gramophone, Gerard Schwarz writes about Forgotten American symphonies, and specifically mentions:

Of Schwarz's list, the Mennin is the only one I don't have, so I must see if I can stream it.

As an aside, I was contemplating launching a thread (Sumer BaL or Recordings in Discussion) on the not-so-forgotten Copland S3; any takers?
                        No such list would be complete without at least one by Sessions, none of which is often performed anywhere. Come to the, Carter's Symphonia doesn't get many performances either, despite it being one of his most remarkable achievements.

Comment

• LezLee
                          • Apr 2019

I would add Virgil Thomson's 3 symphonies, specially the first one, Symphony On A Hymn Tune. I've no idea how often they're performed but I'd guess not very!
                          Last edited by LezLee; 17-06-19, 15:32.

Comment

• Boilk
                            • Dec 2010

I would add Hovhaness Concerto No.7 for Orchestra - a very fine work (probably no less a 'symphony' than his No.2), and there's a decent recording on Telarc. Come to think of it, I'd add Carter's Concerto for Orchestra as a near-forgotten American symphonic work.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Plenty of solid recommendations in here from Suffy. ( he’s not been around much recently)

A while ago I put together a word document of all of his posts which I emailed to a few forumites. I probably still have it around somewhere if anybody wants one.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

There's Harold Shapero, of course, whose 40'+, rather laid-back Symphony for Classical Orchestra (1947), chief influences Beethoven by way of (earlier) Stravinsky, is at the very least a lovely bunch of tunes...
                                Just two recordings, Previn and Bernstein, both good, Previn with more up-to-date sound than the mono Bernstein...

Listen to Harold Shapero in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

Some listeners take against its length and obvious derivations, but it is "well worth a listen", to say the least...

Comment

Working...
                                X