Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

this popped onto my doormat this week.Sounded like an excellent disc on first listen
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

this popped onto my doormat this week.Sounded like an excellent disc on first listen
      Must be a re-release on Naxos because I bought it about 15-20 years ago on a different label (too knackered to check my shelves!).

Delos?

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Must be a re-release on Naxos because I bought it about 15-20 years ago on a different label (too knackered to check my shelves!).
        knackered? try being me !! 2 days sales conference and five a side footy last night. Sales V others.

(I hope you didn't pay through the snout for Wally's #4............)

Edit: Hope your knackered is good knackered, not bad knackered.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

knackered? try being me !! 2 days sales conference and.........
          Ok, let's swap for a week and see what happens

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Ok, let's swap for a week and see what happens
            oh, you are so ON !!!! (as long as I can borrow your CD collection !!)

Edit? don't want to know who won?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

Yes the Piston was originally on Delos which I have, the Delos also had the Fantasy for English Horn. Naxos have reissued quite a number of Delos originals though often cut one of the works out in doing so.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

knackered? try being me !! 2 days sales conference and five a side footy last night. Sales V others.

(I hope you didn't pay through the snout for Wally's #4............)

Edit: Hope your knackered is good knackered, not bad knackered.
                Good knackered. Getting my money's worth out of my gym membership!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                  Yes the Piston was originally on Delos which I have, the Delos also had the Fantasy for English Horn. Naxos have reissued quite a number of Delos originals though often cut one of the works out in doing so.
                  Yes, the Fantasy For English Horn, it's all coming back now! I have a few of those Delos CDs of American music. Hovhaness springs to mind. I rarely play his music, but in the past I found him interesting and different. Ethnic Scot, I think.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Charles Ives. Symphonies 2 and 3.
                    LAPO/Mehta
                    Cleveland Orchestra.Dohnanyi

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

I recently came across this LP on a blogsite - Roy Harris: Abraham Lincoln Walks at Midnight, and Fantasy for Piano and Orchestra. The pianist in both is Harris's wife, but I'm not sure of the recording date (poss. 1954).

The site is here: http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/...remasters.html You need to copy the link into your browser and you'll get a downloadable flac file.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                        I recently came across this LP on a blogsite - Roy Harris: Abraham Lincoln Walks at Midnight, and Fantasy for Piano and Orchestra. The pianist in both is Harris's wife, but I'm not sure of the recording date (poss. 1954).

The site is here: http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/...remasters.html You need to copy the link into your browser and you'll get a downloadable flac file.
                        I have the original lp Pabmusic, the recordings were both made in May 1955 and released in November of that year. Both performances are now available as downloads.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                          I have the original lp Pabmusic, the recordings were both made in May 1955 and released in November of that year. Both performances are now available as downloads.
                          Thanks.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

I listened yesterday to my copy of the CD mentioned in the original posting, especially to the Ruggles piece Sun-treader. I then discovered that the 2LP set of Ruggles music recorded by MTT with the Buffalo Phil has been transferred to CD, so ordered it, as the only other Ruggles I have is a version of Angels.
                            I haven't trawled through this thread to see if there are any references to Ruggles.
                            Any pointers to what I should listen to when the set arrives?
                            He does not seem to have been a very nice guy, but I'm interested to hear more of his music.
                            Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                              • Nov 2010

Ruggles was a rather eccentric character to say the least! Certainly outspoken and prone to racist outbursts and plain rudeness. He had a very long life (1876-1971) but composed very little apparently destroying many of his earlier works. The style he arrived at in the 1920's is quite unique, it could be loosely described as atonal but isn't really similar to any of the other atonal composers. There is a great interest in the sonority of harmonies and various progressions. The MTT CDs contain all the surviving works that he wrote except an early piece for violin & piano entitled Mood, which is incomplete. Sun-Treader is his most important and impressive work, I also admire Portals for String Orchestra and Evocations originally for piano but later orchestrated by the composer, I prefer the piano original. Ruggles was also a rather prolific painter and I believe made more money from painting than music.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

here's an interesting disc that I picked up cheaply on a whim recently.

Villa Lobos Live.

Heitor Villa Lobos - Piano Concerto No. 5 (Live)
                                Felicja Blumental - piano
                                Heitor Villa-Lobos - conductor
                                Vienna Symphony Orchestra

Allegro non troppo (5'47) Play track
                                Poco adagio (6'11) Play track
                                Allegretto scherzando - Allegretto(7'44) Play track

Heitor Villa-Lobos - Garibaldi foi a Missa (1'24)

Heitor Villa-Lobos - Dança do Indio Branco (3'24)

Camargo Guarnieri - Dança Brasileira (2'13)

Francisco Mignone - Senerata Humoristica (1'59)

Heitor Villa-Lobos - Bachianas Brasileiras No.3 for Piano and Orchestra
                                Luigi Toffolo - conductor
                                Filarmonica Triestina

Preludio (6'50)
                                Fantasia (6'28)
                                Aria (8'53)
                                Toccata (7'20)

recordings sound a little dated, but a great window back on a world that seems somehow lost now. some excellent music .

Must investigate both Villa Lobos and Guarnieri more.

Comment

Working...
                                X