X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    ..and I'm pleased that this thread has evolved into a celebration of his life and not a moan against Harold Wilson who was, of his time, a great leader for this country.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
      I never saw Barbirolli conduct, nor did I have any of his recordings - until recently.

They started with Mahler, and spread through English music to Sibelius and now Beethoven. For me it seems he could do no wrong.

Isn't Sir John worthy of a great recordings thread?
      Well said - can i most strongly recommend his Bruckner on BBC Legends too ! Also his last three symphony recordings of Dvorak and Tchaikovsky . His Dvorak 8 in particular is utterly beyond compare !!! The Schubert 9 is a marvel too .

I must revisit his Brahms symphonies - I did find them too slow apart from No 3 .

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
        Now, for someone working in the 'high arts', in 1970, that's an impressive figure.

The government would, of course, have been keen to whittle it down and I'm sure his death duties were punitive (of his widow).
        If you want to have reactionary views, that's your choice, but please don't use your memory of the death of a great man as a stick to beat politicians with.As it happens, the Wilson government liberated me, but that has nothing to do with Barbirolli.

Comment

• Karafan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Karafan - his flat was at 45 Huntsworth Mews just off Gloucester Place.
          I am obliged once again, m'Lud...
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Impossible to prove anything, of course, but it's hard not to conjecture that Barbirolli's untimely death may have been facilitated by the stresses caused by living under an incompetent, dysfunctional and vindictive Labour government. Personally, I'd be happy to forgo the Open University, the devaluation of the pound, the drunken tomfoolery of George Brown and Wedgwood Benn's 'stamps without a sovereign's head' for the Meistersinger recording we would have had if JB had lived.
            I've never read such twaddle on here for a very long time.

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              ...whereas those today who die under the present incompetent, dysfunctional, vindictive and essentially Tory government may not include anyone so famous as Barbirolli, so that's probably OK? For example, those who were ruled fit to work, had their benefits withdrawn and then died after a few days' work? Don't suppose they'll get much of a shout on these boards in 43 years' time!

Le Martin - I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

Perhaps Mandryka has consumed copious quantities of scotch or some other substance to come up with such fatuous statements!
                If there was a "like" facility on here, I would press it!
                Last edited by visualnickmos; 19-01-13, 18:22.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

......Do get your facts right!
                  That's a bit rich coming in the light of your words

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

...Harold Wilson who was, of his time, a great leader for this country.
                    He most certainly was, and with a visionary Home Secretary in Roy Jenkins, they achieved much of value, amongst other things the abolition of the death panalty and the first step on the road for legal recognition that gay people are, in fact normal human beings. Just have to wait for the pope to catch up, now!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      ...whereas those today who die under the present incompetent, dysfunctional, vindictive and essentially Tory government may not include anyone so famous as Barbirolli, so that's probably OK? For example, those who were ruled fit to work, had their benefits withdrawn and then died after a few days' work? Don't suppose they'll get much of a shout on these boards in 43 years' time!
                      Isn't that the point of raising the pensions too quickly and too far? Fewer people will live long enough to receive a pension in some kinds of employment. those who do may well not live for so long.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        Isn't that the point of raising the pensions too quickly and too far? Fewer people will live long enough to receive a pension in some kinds of employment. those who do may well not live for so long.
                        All about money-saving rather than provision for the elderly.

Comment

• remdataram
                          • Mar 2011

Well said - can i most strongly recommend his Bruckner on BBC Legends too ! Also his last three symphony recordings of Dvorak and Tchaikovsky . His Dvorak 8 in particular is utterly beyond compare !!! The Schubert 9 is a marvel too .

I must revisit his Brahms symphonies - I did find them too slow apart from No 3 .
                          Many thanks Barbirollians, the Schubert is already on order (in the Viennese box), I will add the Dvorak and Tchaikovsky.

Rather than try and blame people or circumstances for his death, I'd prefer to celebrate Barbirolli's life and the pleasure he brought, and continues to bring, to hundreds of thousands of people.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

One other thing - Barbirolli did not fail to make the Meistersingers recording because he died prematurely. It was slated for 1968/9 in Dresden and he turned it down in response to Kubelik's request for musicians not to work in countries that had supported or contributed to the suppression of the Prague Spring.

Comment

• amateur51

One other thing - Barbirolli did not fail to make the Meistersingers recording because he died prematurely. It was slated for 1968/9 in Dresden and he turned it down in response to Kubelik's request for musicians not to work in countries that had supported or contributed to the suppression of the Prague Spring.
                              i didn't know that - how typical of these two men, great musicians both (and neither of them averse to a Johnnie Walker Black Label double stiffener at the interval )

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Poor Mandy - so bitter ... and so wrong
                                I don't think it's your (or anybody's) place to suggest that I'm wrong.

And I'm sure I have everything to learn about bitterness from a male spinster who resides in dingy Norf Larndon.

Comment

Working...
                                X