• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

(Royal) Concertgebouw Orchestra

Listening to the very interesting and varied segment on CD Review this morning about the latest (Vol 7) in the "Anthology of The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra" series, it occurred to me it might be interesting to pool people's experiences of this fantastic orchestra - and hall.

We've had individual threads about specific concerts and recordings, but not about the orchestra itself, and its home.

This morning, I was very taken with the Sibelius 5, Berglund taking a broad and magnificent view of the conclusion, but all the extracts caught my ear in one way or another. Since my earliest days of being interested in music, I've been aware of the special transparency and texture of the orchestral sound recorded in that hall, along with the excellence of the orchestra itself - which I've only ever heard on visits to London.

And on CD of course. Haitink in Mahler was my earliest experience of them - No 9 first, then No 3, and perhaps above all the performance of 'Das Lied' with Janet Baker - the final movement is the Concertgebouw recording I've listened to most over the years.

Actually, the above is wrong - my earliest experience of them, I realise, was among my earliest experiences of any recorded music: the classic van Beinum 'Young Persons' Guide' which my parents had at home and which had very regular outings (Seeing the LP cover again, I vividly remember finding "Concertgebouw" a very fascinating word when I was about the age of the lads depicted in the photo... )

Many others must remember it!

And what great music directors the orchestra has had. I thought Chailly a notch below the others in terms of digging out the real subtleties and meaning of certain pieces - but what a maestro of orchestral sonority...

I have attended two concerts in the actual Concertgebouw - two performances of Mahler 9 conducted by Haitink, with the ECYO: a friend was playing in the orchestra in those days, and a couple of us booked a trip to A'dam to coincide with the concerts. One of the performances subsequently came out on a Philips CD, also apparently available on Decca: your humble correspondent is visible in rear elevation among the audience on the cover, in fact...

Anyway, the point being that the acoustic was as tremendous in the flesh as everyone had said - precise yet atmospheric, a perfect balance between the aural equivalents of fruit and tannin

I've often perused the RCO schedule and toyed with the idea of a return trip to hear them in situ, but it hasn't happened yet. It will

Anyone else here had any great experiences in that hall, and/or with that orchestra? And does anyone own any of the seven volumes of the Anthology? (I can't see that they are downloadable anywhere - does anyone know any different? I might want to cherry-pick, I'm not sure I want to invest in whole boxes)

All thoughts, doubts, experiences &c. most welcome!
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 12-01-13, 18:18.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Anna

I have the boxed set of of Concertebouw Orchestra. Volume 1 which is 1935 to 1950 if that is of interest.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      I have the boxed set of of Concertebouw Orchestra. Volume 1 which is 1935 to 1950 if that is of interest.
      It is! Tell us about it!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

What wonderful memories you have evoked with that Ace of Clubs recording.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

I bought the Haitink Live one, the Chailly, and Volume 4 Anthology (1970-80). The Haitink is very good (but look at the 2ndhand prices...), and I enjoyed the 4th anthology very much too. Very good sound, rep. and performances throughout. Less enamoured of the Chailly, which seemed to suffer from unatmospheric earlyish digital sound... these big boxes tend not to be reissued (remember Richter in Prague?) nor issued as downloads much, so the prices get inflated. But once the standard new price was around £100 per box I stopped buying them.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

Ah, pretty much my favourite orchestra and concert hall. As well as three of the seven boxes (Vols 5, 6 and 7 - I'd like more but the out-of-print ones are pretty expensive, although I'm sure that I read on their website that they are re-releasing them in a bumper box), I seem to have accumulated a fair number of their recordings, including more than a few of live performances (Jochum, Kondrashin, even Mengelberg). Their Mahler cycle on Blu-ray was another relatively recent purchase which has given me much pleasure, not least Haitink's ninth. Then there is their internet radio station (and its at times disarming lack of information on anything other than the date of the performance). And, of course, being at one of the KCO's concerts (or just being at any concert in the main hall) is a great experience, worth saving up for. So get saving, Caliban - cheap as chips to get there these days.

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

I disagree with Rob Cowan who said the sound of the orchestra hasn't changed in recent years.

It's still pretty wonderful but not the same.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Anyone interested in Volume 7 should check the price at MDT. It's the most competitive I have found and I have duly ordered a set to go with Volumes 2 to 6 plus the Haitink and Chailly boxes.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Anyone interested in Volume 7 should check the price at MDT. It's the most competitive I have found and I have duly ordered a set to go with Volumes 2 to 6 plus the Haitink and Chailly boxes.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/the-royal-conce...ive-14cds.html
                  Blimey Bryn Great stuff....

You don't like the Concertgebouw then...

Seriously, any particular stand-out performances in the five boxes you already own? (And do you know if downloads are available anywhere?)

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Blimey Bryn Great stuff....

You don't like the Concertgebouw then...

Seriously, any particular stand-out performances in the five boxes you already own? (And do you know if downloads are available anywhere?)
                    Oh dear, far too many to mention but a few that are very special to me. I will offer particular praise for the Shostakovich 4th and 6th (Kondrashin) in Volumes 4 and 3 respectively, the Varèse Ionisation and Déserts (Maderna) in Volume 3, Feldman's Coptic Light (Eötvös) and Berio's Sinfonia (Berio) in Volume 6. There's nothing I would consider duff in any of the boxes I have. I was lent Volume 1 by a kind female compatriot of Bryn Terfel Jones, and that was very fine too. I am given to understand that it is planned to re-issue all the earlier volumes, so will probably buy Volume 1 if/when it is re-issued.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Calban or JLW: I can't find that Poulenc/Mahler 9 disc anywhere on Amazon. Have you got a link for it please?

One of the greatest orchestras in the world and I've tried a few times to book a concert in the Concertgebouw (must be with Haitink) but have never beaten the sold out notices yet! He's giving Bruckner 8 there in April and I was beaten again.

I have countless treasured recordings of the orchestra from Mengleberg onwards and HD is right about the Anthology series being issued as a bumper box. Their website says it will be available in the summer of 2013 to celebrate the orchestra's 125th anniversary.

Start saving your pennies now!
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I remember that Peter and the Wolf - my mother bought it when I was a nipper

Only seen live once - I think Petrushka and Alison may well have been there - Barbican, Bruckner 9, 14.3.2009. We stood on the edge of the abyss in the last movement.

I collected Haitink's performances of Bruckner and Mahler on LP from the off.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          Calban or JLW: I can't find that Poulenc/Mahler 9 disc anywhere on Amazon. Have you got a link for it please?
                          It seems to be only available these days as a download, inc. from amazon. (I can't even find a used CD anywhere)

Higher quality FLAC is avaiable on the decca site. Here are some links:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/ma...nc/id375741155

Comment

• PJPJ
                            • Nov 2010

Over the years I've accumulated the Van Beinums, Haitink and Chailly and all the Anthologies except Vol 4 which I seem to remember went OOP quite quickly, or I reacted too slowly.

I did manage to get to Amsterdam for Bruckner 3 and Schubert 3 with Jansons (the Bruckner is on RCO Live) and went all the way by train.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Many thanks, Caliban. I haven't yet dipped a toe into the murky waters of downloading music so...
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X