Britten and Wagner Anniversaries: Nothing to Celebrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JFLL
    • Jan 2011

I’m waiting for a year when absolutely no anniversary occurs, and then I shall celebrate an absence of celebrations.

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post

I'm not anti-Wagner. He just doesn't, on the whole, write the kind of music I enjoy. Is that allowed?
      Of course it's allowed. There is a big difference between not liking someone's output and averring that said output is somehow tainted and that all those who have a partiality for it are likewise tainted.

Moving on somewhat.......I've always got the impression that Britten isn't much appreciated in his own country. 'Worthy, but best avoided....' seems to be the line that most people take (most Britons seem to feel the same way about Shakespeare, though). His pessimism doesn't help, I suppose (there is no bleaker opera than Billy Budd); I think it's significant that his most popular work (which I prefer to refer to as Variations On A Theme By Purcell) is also his least characteristic.

I ought to add that I like Britten a lot and I thoght even more highly of him after hearing the rehearsal sequence that's included in the current CD version of the War Requiem.

Comment

• rauschwerk
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
        I've always got the impression that Britten isn't much appreciated in his own country. 'Worthy, but best avoided....' seems to be the line that most people take (most Britons seem to feel the same way about Shakespeare, though). His pessimism doesn't help, I suppose...
        I think it would be pretty hard to gather hard evidence to back up your impression. I have met plenty of singers who are grateful for War Requiem, Spring Symphony, Hymn to St Cecilia, Rejoice in the Lamb (not much pessimism there) and much else besides. I don't personally know anybody who regards Britten's music as merely worthy.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
          I think it would be pretty hard to gather hard evidence to back up your impression. I have met plenty of singers who are grateful for War Requiem, Spring Symphony, Hymn to St Cecilia, Rejoice in the Lamb (not much pessimism there) and much else besides. I don't personally know anybody who regards Britten's music as merely worthy.
          Nor do I. It's the last word I'd use.

As for pessimism - what about Ceremony of Carols, Albert Herring, Spring Symphony, Midsummer Night's Dream, Noye's Fludde as well as The Young Person's Guide? Not one of those could be called remotely pessimistic.

Comment

• amateur51

Nor do I. It's the last word I'd use.

As for pessimism - what about Ceremony of Carols, Albert Herring, Spring Symphony, Midsummer Night's Dream, Noye's Fludde as well as The Young Person's Guide? Not one of those could be called remotely pessimistic.
            Well said, Mary

Comment

• amateur51

Britten in Pictures, by Lucy Walker - an excellent collection, and remarkably insightful and revealing.
              I had a look through this beautifully produced book at Foyle's on London's South Bank, Mary and I can only echo your enthusiasm.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I had a look through this beautifully produced book at Foyle's on London's South Bank, Mary and I can only echo your enthusiasm.
                Does anyone know how much of this book overlaps with photos in Donald Mitchell's Britten: Pictures from a Life from the early '80s (published by Faber) that some persons seem to believe was called A Life in Pictures?
                Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 10-01-13, 16:21. Reason: Corrected Book Title!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Does anyone know how much of this book overlaps with photos in Donald Mitchell's Britten: A Life in Pictures from the early '80s (published by Faber)?
                  Inevitably a little, but much less than one would expect. It contains a great many photos I'd never seen, which rather surprised me! There are also a few reproductions of pages from scores, and personal letters. The introductory essay by Christopher Grogan is very good.

When Pictures From a Life was published Peter Pears and Britten's older sisters and brother were all still alive, which probably limited Donald Mitchell's approach somewhat, or at least affected it.

Comment

• Mandryka

I was once told by someone who worked in the admin of Covent Garden that Britten was considered 'box office poison' and that his works tended to be staged there largely because he was that rare thing, an important British opera composer. I think that, yes, he is appreciated by musicians and singers but not really by the public at large, beyond aficionados.

Has anyone ever heard Peter Grimes in German? I bet it sounds great in that language.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                      • Nov 2010

Peter Pears sang it in German in the early days - in Germany.

Britten is perceived by many as 'difficult'. I suppose if you want a nice simple boy-meets-girl story he is. Most of his operas are pretty complex, and thinking is necessary. All the same, I've known unexpected people be bowled over by Grimes and Billy Budd.

Comment

• Quarky
                        • Dec 2010

For infomation -
                        Peter Grimes will be performed at Deutsche Oper Berlin in english with german surtitles beginning February 5th. Still time to book flight!
                        Do not surtitles take away the need for translation?

Comment

Working...
                        X