• Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Sinfonia Antarctica?
      He never went there......... unlike Max

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        The one, truly bad piece of music Messiaen ever composed, imo.
        Well, If you are an authority, and I have no doubt you are, that rather ******rs up 50% of my Messiaen Collection.

Day ruined, self confidence shattered, but, I'll get over it.......
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          Well, If you are an authority, and I have no doubt you are, that rather ******rs up 50% of my Messiaen Collection.

Day ruined, self confidence shattered, but, I'll get over it.......
          Sorry about that, TS!

Imv he should have deleted that godawful embarrassing tune that repeats seemingly endlessly and would embarrass even the most banal third-rate Hollywood love scene composer, and just left the birdsong!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            He never went there......... unlike Max
            Scott of the Antarctic was filmed at Ealing Studios and Norway, so nobody went there!

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
              Scott of the Antarctic was filmed at Ealing Studios and Norway, so nobody went there!
              Indeed , nor should have the idiot Scott either .........

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Indeed , nor should have the idiot Scott either .........
                The world is divided into Scott men and Shackleton men, I'm firmly in the Shackleton camp myself. Nevertheless, to stand quietly in Scott's hut looking at the table around which they all sat is a very moving experience.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

The world is divided into Scott men and Shackleton men, I'm firmly in the Shackleton camp myself. Nevertheless, to stand quietly in Scott's hut looking at the table around which they all sat is a very moving experience.
                  I'm sure it is
                  But it puzzles me why he is regarded by some as a hero when he was incredibly foolish (Taking ponies instead of dogs etc)
                  all a bit OT

but how then is the RVW evocative of a visual phenomena that he never saw ?
                  Surely it's more evocative of a literary phenomena ?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

MrGongGong

I agree with you about RVW's literary inspiration, after all he prefixed each movement of Antartica with a quotation, including Coleridge's Hymn before Sunrise in the Vale of Chamonix describing the icefall, and of course, Scott's last words in his diary.

The fundamental weakness of Scott's last journey was that he and his companions didn't have enough food. They completely underestimated the number of calories needed to attempt what they did, so they were always starving.

Amundsen started from slightly further South with his dog teams and made a very quick dash there and back. There is no trace of his original base now, because it was built on the sea ice and has long since melted away. Scott and Shackleton built their huts on dry land.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

MrGongGong

I agree with you about RVW's literary inspiration, after all he prefixed each movement of Antartica with a quotation, including Coleridge's Hymn before Sunrise in the Vale of Chamonix describing the icefall, and of course, Scott's last words in his diary.

The fundamental weakness of Scott's last journey was that he and his companions didn't have enough food. They completely underestimated the number of calories needed to attempt what they did, so they were always starving.

Amundsen started from slightly further South with his dog teams and made a very quick dash there and back. There is no trace of his original base now, because it was built on the sea ice and has long since melted away. Scott and Shackleton built their huts on dry land.
                      Indeed
                      I have family members who have worked for the BAS (British Antarctic Survey) and they attest to Scotts utter stupidity which has become a bit of an albatross ..

Comment

Working...
                      X