X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Careful, you might upset the poor midshipman who can't even spell PMD's fellow Manchester School member's name.
    I saw that, Bryn. Whistle - or, rather,

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Careful, you might upset the poor midshipman who can't even spell PMD's fellow Manchester School member's name.
      I was going to check the spelling by consulting the relevant Birtwistle's Minotaur going cheap at ROH thread but, frankly, I simply didn't bother.

As for going cheap:

" ... let he who is without sin, cast ..." etcetera.

HS

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
        #16.
        Posted by Hornspieler
        I am surprised that nobody (not least salymap) has mentioned the babbling brook which becomes the expanse of the River Moldau in Smetana's "Ma Vlast".
        Yes, I missed that JFLL. My apologies.

HS

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          For all the mentions of Antarctic ice breaking, no one's mentioned PM Davies's Antarctic Symphony!

For those with a spare 10 minutes, this early tone poem of Bridge conjures a blend of his influences of the time (Strauss, Delius, Debussy, Scriabin, Holst mainly) into a wonderfully evocative cocktail for this time of year, shimmering with summer scent and warmth:

Frank Bridge (1879-1941) (GB)Summer, symphonic poem (1914)Dir : Richard Hickox On collectionCB we can also listen to Frank Bridge's « Dance Rhapsody » for or...

After the departure of the English Pastoralists few managed to evoke that feeling; possibly Takemitsu got closest. Sadly Winter, the piece of his that got closest, has been removed from youtube.
          Couldn'tget the link - was it Bridge Summer, Enter Spring or another piece with summer in the title that I can't remember ?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
            Couldn'tget the link - was it Bridge Summer, Enter Spring or another piece with summer in the title that I can't remember ?
            Bridge's "Summer", composed 1914, saly.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Bridge's "Summer", composed 1914, saly.
              We had those at Augener S-A. Sadly they weren't hired out much but Faber Music, presumably at BB's request, took several of his works from us.

We still don't hear enough Frank Bridge on R3 imo.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                We had those at Augener S-A. Sadly they weren't hired out much but Faber Music, presumably at BB's request, took several of his works from us.

We still don't hear enough Frank Bridge on R3 imo.
                Agree! He makes a relatively easy "bridge" (ahem) in the later music he composed between English composers such as Ireland and Moeran, and Schoenberg and Berg, even though for Bridge that was catch-up time, stylistically speaking. Listen to his Third String Quartet, for a good example of how much its idiom owes to Alban Berg's string quartet of 1910. The Bridge was composed in 1926 - a good illustration of English music's isolation and retardation from taking on radical Continental trends between the wars.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Great thread, Sir Velo.

Another string-stirring dawn is, of course, Mahler's 1st. When it's done well (Bernstein, NYPO), it really works. Another Mahler "visualisation" that only got me recently was the first movement of his 3rd Symphony. Jonathan Nott's version really brought home the immensity of peaks and precipices, of vast structures and awe. I've spent a fair bit of time hiking in some pretty impressive mountainous regions (Munroes in Scotland, Tryfan in North Wales, and doing half the GR20 in Corsica), in both sun and snow. This performance really spoke to me of the silence and sense of the sublime in these regions.

The recorded sound is absolutely sensational. A must-buy for Mahlerites.

Comment

• David-G
                    • Mar 2012

I don't think anyone has mentioned the "Sea Interludes" from Peter Grimes. Very evocative.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

How about Ravel's Une barque sur l'Ocean with it's wonderful breaking waves ? The original piano version is also great, in fact what about the whole of Miroirs ?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Not exactly pictorial, but evocative nevertheless: The Towing Path by John Ireland.

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                          How about Ravel's Une barque sur l'Ocean with it's wonderful breaking waves ? The original piano version is also great, in fact what about the whole of Miroirs ?
                          Or Poulenc L'Embarquement pour Cythere for 2 pianos - if you can stop laughing ...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Another good piece for musical sun-worshippers: Nielsen's Helios overture.
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

I like the evocation of falling snow in the first of Berg's Altenberg-Lieder.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Not exactly pictorial, but evocative nevertheless: The Towing Path by John Ireland.

The ONE piece in my small collection of Ireland pieces I can actually PLAY!

Comment

Working...
                                X