Your Favourite Evocations of Visual Phenomena in Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheels of Cheese

I have to admit I actually get annoyed when the composer is trying to represent something in this way, and has told me about it. I can't listen to La Mer, because I spend the whole piece thinking 'Mmm, yes, that sounds very much like the sea', 'Hm, that bit doesn't', 'Oh, but that does'. Does anyone else have this reaction, or am I just of limited intelligence?

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Hey Thropplenoggin

Could have done without that. There was a debate about whether it was ok for me to post, and I did ask politely. However, I also said that of anyone else objected I would humbly withdraw, and will now do so. I may still comment on other matters, as i have the right to do.

Cheers

Pete

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Wheels of Cheese View Post
        Hey Thropplenoggin

Could have done without that. There was a debate about whether it was ok for me to post, and I did ask politely. However, I also said that of anyone else objected I would humbly withdraw, and will now do so. I may still comment on other matters, as i have the right to do.

Cheers

Pete
        Pete

It takes a lot to make the Noggin feel humbled, but your message did just that. In the spirit of Christmas, I say unto ye: "Come back, Wheels of Cheese, all is forgiven!"

Throppers

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Wheels of Cheese

Pete

Try not to take these insults to heart, it's unfortunate that contributing to these boards seems to bring out the bullies.

Re La Mer, I know what you are saying about pictorialism in music. It can sometimes feel a little like the primary school music appreciation class held by our Miss Bass, a lady who was given a flat iron as a leaving present when she retired! You know the sort of thing " Now, children listen for the bit where Till gets his head chopped off!"

However in the case of Debussy, the piece is probably the nearest he ever came to writing a symphony. Actually there is a very early symphony by him which I have not heard. We all listen in different ways, and so ignore the grumps!

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

I have to admit I actually get annoyed when the composer is trying to represent something in this way, and has told me about it. I can't listen to La Mer, because I spend the whole piece thinking 'Mmm, yes, that sounds very much like the sea', 'Hm, that bit doesn't', 'Oh, but that does'. Does anyone else have this reaction, or am I just of limited intelligence?
            I share much of your irritation with programme music. La Mer is a wonderful piece BUT would be equally if called something else entirely, Symphonie Fantastique would be much better IMV without the dismal plot
            and I also remembered that Penderecki's Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima was originally called 8'37" an entirely "abstract" piece , though music IS an "abstract" art anyway (with the possible exception of some acousmatic pieces)

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              Pete

It takes a lot to make the Noggin feel humbled, but your message did just that. In the spirit of Christmas, I say unto ye: "Come back, Wheels of Cheese, all is forgiven!"

Throppers
              Hey Throppers

No worries at all - I was aware of the somewhat disputed natire of my posts which is why I asked from the start if it was ok. Think I might give it a rest anyway (posting here, not the site). No hard feelings whatsoever, and thanks for responding.

Pete

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Hey Throppers

No worries at all - I was aware of the somewhat disputed natire of my posts which is why I asked from the start if it was ok. Think I might give it a rest anyway (posting here, not the site). No hard feelings whatsoever, and thanks for responding.

Pete

Comment

• Wheels of Cheese

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                  See, now we're in love :-)

But my point still holds - programme music is annoying because it makes you, like, think about stuff. And, like, pure music doesn't.

ps. drunk

P

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

See, now we're in love :-)

But my point still holds - programme music is annoying because it makes you, like, think about stuff. And, like, pure music doesn't.

ps. drunk

P
                    I believe the official term is 'bromance'.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I shall be shot down but I quite like Malcolm Sargent's tribute to Mendelssohn, 'Impressions on a windy day'
                      written when he was very young.
                      And I still love Mendelsohhn's Hebrides Oveture, which I heard CFM announce as 'Fingal's Cave' FROM the Hebrides Suite' Bless

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Agreed... Pure music makes you feel stuff.

Actually, it's not that simple. The best 'programme music' ("Pastoral' Symphony, 'Alpine' Symphony) also make you feel stuff...

ps. drunk
                        'Tis an honest fellow!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

The opening statement of RVW's 'Sea Symphony', always sets the scene for me. Messiaen does in his Turangalila Symphonie, in the gorgeous slow movt, Chant d'amour(I think)
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            The opening statement of RVW's 'Sea Symphony', always sets the scene for me. Messiaen does in his Turangalila Symphonie, in the gorgeous slow movt, Chant d'amour(I think)
                            The one, truly bad piece of music Messiaen ever composed, imo.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              The one, truly bad piece of music Messiaen ever composed, imo.
                              Okey doke, here's another one, Des Canyons aux Etoiles or Nativite du Siegneur?
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                                Okey doke, here's another one, Des Canyons aux Etoiles or Nativite du Siegneur?

Comment

Working...
                                X