X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Oct 2024

Jonathan Harvey has died

I've just been catching up with Music Matters this week and I'm shocked to discover that Jonathan Harvey, one of modern music's great composers,has died of motor neurone disease, with which he had been living for some time.

Jonathan Harvey, the composer, who has died aged 73, combined mystical and religious themes with ever more complex electroacoustic techniques; if his name was not recognised among the public at large, to aficionados of the avant garde he was arguably Britain’s senior composer.

The MM tribute runs ..

"Jonathan Harvey died earlier this week, at the age of 73, after suffering a long and terminal illness of the nervous system.

It was an invitation by Pierre Boulez to work at IRCAM in the early 1980’s that shaped and characterised Harvey’s music and career – fusing electronics with acoustic instruments as he explored new sound worlds. This can be heard in pieces like the orchestral triptych - Body Mandala (2006), …towards a pure land (2005) & Speakings (2008) – which he composed as the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra Composer in Association, or his 2006 opera Wagner Dream. Another huge influence on Harvey’s compositions was Buddhism, which he practised, and eastern spiritual philosophies.

Jonathan Harvey’s life and his music are remembered and celebrated on Music Matters this week by composer Julian Anderson, conductor Martyn Brabbins - who conducted the premiere of Harvey's last opera, Wagner Dream, and historian and friend of Harvey's, Jonathan Cross"

There's quite a lot of his music available on Spotify.

I'll miss his apparently constant invention and his gentle soul.

• MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Can we merge this with this one ?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      I think I'm barred from that one, MrGG

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        I think I'm barred from that one, MrGG
        I've only just noticed it's on the Bufton in G# bored

Interesting how so many (and not ALL before you all go off on one !) of the hardcore church music folk (and not just here ) seem to be so enthusiastic about a modernist Buddhist composer of hybrid electroacoustic music who wrote a seminal book about Stockhausen ........ which for SOME of those people would be tantamount to heresy

A really wonderful man and creator of great music

Comment

• amateur51

I've only just noticed it's on the Bufton in G# bored

Interesting how so many (and not ALL before you all go off on one !) of the hardcore church music folk (and not just here ) seem to be so enthusiastic about a modernist Buddhist composer of hybrid electroacoustic music who wrote a seminal book about Stockhausen ........ which for SOME of those people would be tantamount to heresy

A really wonderful man and creator of great music
          Is our man in MI5 one of the enthusiasts, MrGG?

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Is our man in MI5 one of the enthusiasts, MrGG?
            If I told you i'd have to kill you
            though strangely silent on that one , obviously off dispensing largess to the peasants

Comment

• amateur51

If I told you i'd have to kill you
              though strangely silent on that one , obviously off dispensing largess to the peasants
              ah religious tracts and windfall apples no doubt - such seasonal generosity of spirit

Comment

Working...
              X