X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bax-of-Delights
    • Nov 2010

Moeran's 2nd Symphony/Brighton Phil

Just back from a performance of Moeran's reconstructed 2nd symphony with Martin Yates (the reconstrucionist) conducting the Brighton Philharmonic. I don't know if it was the conductor, the occasion or the score but the performance fired on all cylinders building up an incredible head of steam in the final movement which got the audience enthusiastically applauding. I heard those around me astonished that they had never heard of Moeran before.

Phew. Still buzzing!!
    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
    Just back from a performance of Moeran's reconstructed 2nd symphony with Martin Yates (the reconstrucionist) conducting the Brighton Philharmonic. I don't know if it was the conductor, the occasion or the score but the performance fired on all cylinders building up an incredible head of steam in the final movement which got the audience enthusiastically applauding. I heard those around me astonished that they had never heard of Moeran before.Phew. Still buzzing!!
    Blimey!!

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
      Just back from a performance of Moeran's reconstructed 2nd symphony with Martin Yates (the reconstrucionist) conducting the Brighton Philharmonic. I don't know if it was the conductor, the occasion or the score but the performance fired on all cylinders building up an incredible head of steam in the final movement which got the audience enthusiastically applauding. I heard those around me astonished that they had never heard of Moeran before.
      and that's the part of the reconstruction which is nearly 100% Yates

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        and that's the part of the reconstruction which is nearly 100% Yates
        Well, there you go. Shows how little I know eh? Still, what I know, I like.
        O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• moeranbiogman

Well I was there in Brighton and I'm buzzing too!

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

I would have thought that this makes a welcome change from most completions, where the usual charge levelled is that the additional material is sub-standard. Let's be grateful that Martin Yates' contribution was up to the task.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              I would have thought that this makes a welcome change from most completions, where the usual charge levelled is that the additional material is sub-standard. .....
              Such as?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                Such as?
                Such as:

Turandot
                Sussmayr's wreck of Moz's Req
                Elgar/Payne (not my view)
                Bruckner 9 finale
                Schubert/Beethoven 10
                Mahler 10 (various unsatisfactory attempts (exc Cooke))
                Last edited by Sir Velo; 10-12-12, 19:40.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                  • Nov 2010

Moeran's unfinished 2nd Symphony was the subject of a R4 Afternoon Play last month: Moeran's Last Symphony by Martyn Wade.

It seems to have been a repeat from two years ago, and is not currently available to LA... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w236w

Unfortunately, I tuned in halfway through - to hear Peter Warlock chatting in a pub: no surprise there!

Comment

Working...
                  X