X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

The Stuff at the end of the shelf

I've got quite a few items at the end of my LP shelves which are silly but enjoyable. How about that old RCA demo disc Bob and Ray throw a stereo spectacular? One side is a spoof horror complete with lots of thunder and a giant tsetse fly. Side two has Lena Horne singing New Fangled Tango, well worth a spin.

Of course we must not forget Capitol's offering with spectacular sounds of New York subway trains, and a rather odd extract from Toch's 3rd Symphony complete with it's innovation of a hisser using a compressed air cylinder. Another goody is Decca's disc which includes The Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London and Ansermet rehearsing the Rite of Spring.

I get quite a sneaky pleasure listening to these and others now and again, and of course I've overlooked the Hoffnung Festivals and a rather odd disc of more than a dozen items all of which are examples of perpetuum mobile.

Hasn't it all got a bit po faced since the introduction of CD ?. It's true that Hi Fi News once issued a CD which included the slamming of a garage door at nightmare level to test your speakers, but that's not really the same thing.

So let's have it, what are the oddities in your collection, perhaps the ones you dig out at Christmas?
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Flanders & Swann, Anna Russell, Mickey Mouse conducts opera on Youtube, 'Much Binding in the Marsh' an old radio programme on cassette - stuff like that.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
      I've got quite a few items at the end of my LP shelves which are silly but enjoyable. How about that old RCA demo disc Bob and Ray throw a stereo spectacular? One side is a spoof horror complete with lots of thunder and a giant tsetse fly. Side two has Lena Horne singing New Fangled Tango, well worth a spin.

Of course we must not forget Capitol's offering with spectacular sounds of New York subway trains, and a rather odd extract from Toch's 3rd Symphony complete with it's innovation of a hisser using a compressed air cylinder. Another goody is Decca's disc which includes The Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London and Ansermet rehearsing the Rite of Spring.

I get quite a sneaky pleasure listening to these and others now and again, and of course I've overlooked the Hoffnung Festivals and a rather odd disc of more than a dozen items all of which are examples of perpetuum mobile.

Hasn't it all got a bit po faced since the introduction of CD ?. It's true that Hi Fi News once issued a CD which included the slamming of a garage door at nightmare level to test your speakers, but that's not really the same thing.

So let's have it, what are the oddities in your collection, perhaps the ones you dig out at Christmas?
      Thanks for reminding me about New Fangled Tango, Ferret

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post

Don't know that one but the Kingsway Hall one cnducting the NPO is now reissued on Eloquence. I always liked the test record which the guy with the Scottish accent told me whether my speakers were in or out of phase.

Comment

• Keraulophone
          • Nov 2010

One of those thin, floppy 45rpm records that used to be found inside Private Eye, with Harold Wilson vociferously insisting that he didn't want to see reappearing in The Times Diary (or elsewhere) what he had just said off the record [NPI] to the interviewer.

Comment

Working...
          X