X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • parkepr
    • Jul 2012

Victor Hely-Hutchinson - Carol Symphony

As Christmas is approaching I'm listening this more and more Have liked it ever since I watched the BBC's adaption of Box of Delights back in the 80's when I was a youngster...Anyone else like it? Does it ever get performed?
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Yes I like it and remember it years ago. It was played a lot but don't remember going to a performamnce of it.

I know it well but don't have a recording of it. Too long for Breakfast but perhaps Rob will see this.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I like it too. And why not play it on Breakfast? It would keep the chatter about texting down for nearly half an hour.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Another vote here !

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

.......and here too! Shame he didnt wqrite anything else, as far as I know?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

He wrote a few other things - can only remember his setting of The Owl and the Pussycat, which I can still sing

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              An absolute must around 9-9.30 on Christmas morning - is there anything more uplifting?

This was the version I had on LP for years:

Now I have this:

He also wrote these which I have not heard:

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                He wrote a bit, but then he was quite young when he died. There's the Carol Symphony, Overture to a Pantomime (recorded by Dutton), Solemn Prelude, in G, Three Fugal Fancies, for strings (recorded, I think, by Naxos), South African Suite, The Young Idea for piano and orchestra (recorded by Dutton), Variations, Intermezzo and Finale, Symphony for Small Orchestra, and songs. Those old enough may remember a recording of his setting of The Owl and the Pussycat that used to be popular on Family Favourites and such programmes.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

It's worth looking on Wiki for a rather sad article. It's largely forgotten that he was the BBC Director of Music inthe 1940s. He apparently refused to put the office radiators on in a very cold winter, contracted pneumonia and died at 45.

All the Directors of Music are listed here, from Percy Pitt to our Roger Wright. Several of them were composers but there is certainly no sign of the BBC favouring their works.

Comment

Working...
                  X