Something Really Special for your Favourites List.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Something Really Special for your Favourites List.

However, firstly, my grateful thanks to all of you for your kind wishes. I hadn't realised how important you had become in raising my spirits when most needed, thank you.

Perhaps I can give something in return, two items discovered on utube which deserve to be on everyone's ' favourites ' list;

1. Bach Cantata BWV 106 ' Actus Tragicus ' conducted by Gustav Leonhardt with Musica Antiqua Amsterdam, Mieke van der Sluis, Rene Jacobs, Marius van Altena & Max van Egmond.

Also, in the picture but without credits, are Franz Bruggen & Walter von Hauwe ( recorders ). In the background, playing ' keyboard ' is a young ( ? ) Ton Koopman. with the 'cello continuo in the

hands of Jaap ter Linden - what a fantastic ' lineup.' A small ' chamber music ' performance, beautifully lit & directed. Something to be treasured.

2. Monteverdi's ' Zefiro Torna ' - L' Arpeggiata Ensemble

Early instruments, starting with a sort of ' jam ' session. Great fun. Superb playing, especially from the cornett. I'm sure the great Claudio would have enjoyed this. Just the piece to show to

those who think we're into serious, dull & boring stuff.

Again, my thanks to you all for your kind thoughts,

gamba
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Welcome back gamba

If you like L' Arpeggiata, here is a whole concert. I think it includes Zefiro Torna
    Claudio Monteverdi - ToccataBarbara Strozzi - Eraclito amorosoPandolfo Mealli - La VinciolinaClaudio Monteverdi - Ohime, ch'io cadoClaudio Monteverdi - Pur t...

And don’t miss tonight's evening concert. I know it’s only Handel and Telemann but the performers are very special.
    Iestyn Davies, countertenor
    Neil Brough, trumpet
    Alexis Kossenko, recorder, flute
    Jean-Marc Goujon, flute
    Ensemble Matheus
    Jean-Christophe Spinosi, director

But don’t overdo things (listening). Very good to see you back.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Thank you gamba - excellent.

As a matter of interest which Bach cello suites versions do you most like? I shall watch Jaap ter Linden closely as his version is my favourite.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by gamba View Post
        However, firstly, my grateful thanks to all of you for your kind wishes. I hadn't realised how important you had become in raising my spirits when most needed, thank you.

Perhaps I can give something in return, two items discovered on utube which deserve to be on everyone's ' favourites ' list;

1. Bach Cantata BWV 106 ' Actus Tragicus ' conducted by Gustav Leonhardt with Musica Antiqua Amsterdam, Mieke van der Sluis, Rene Jacobs, Marius van Altena & Max van Egmond.

Also, in the picture but without credits, are Franz Bruggen & Walter von Hauwe ( recorders ). In the background, playing ' keyboard ' is a young ( ? ) Ton Koopman. with the 'cello continuo in the

hands of Jaap ter Linden - what a fantastic ' lineup.' A small ' chamber music ' performance, beautifully lit & directed. Something to be treasured.
        Could you please provide a link. This sounds interesting.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Bach - Cantate BWV106 "Actus Tragicus" "Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit"Mieke van der SluisRené JacobsMarius van AltenaMax van EgmondCollegium Vocale Gen...

Poema in versi di Ottavio Rinuccini:Zefiro torna e di soavi accentil'aer fa grato e'il pié discioglie a l'ondee, mormoranda tra le verdi fronde,fa danzar al ...

Exquisite performances, both: thanks and welcome back, Gamba!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Thanks, FHG.

The sonatina from bwv 106 is one of my favourite pieces of music, containing that same otherworldliness of late Beethoven. However, as interesting as it is to see this performance, Suzuki's version is even more sumptuous and, dare I say, unified, at least recorder-wise. Bruggen & co. seem to lose it a bit towards the end here.

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Poema in versi di Ottavio Rinuccini:Zefiro torna e di soavi accentil'aer fa grato e'il pié discioglie a l'ondee, mormoranda tra le verdi fronde,fa danzar al ...

And here is the CD

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Hello gamba! Great to see you gamballing around The Forum again!! (And thanks for the great Boccherini recommendation via salymap).

I've just posted this link on the 'Britten's boys' thread - each item on this user, Ollie Drake's channel is on my favourites page - some great Britten archive material

http://www.youtube.com/user/olliedrake
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gamba
                  Late member
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc1Ve0TOF4c

Thanks for supplying links to these items, ferney. I'm never very sure of what to do, ( cringe , cringe ) too late to learn now.

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Afternoon Gamba, lovely to see you posting again. I shall try some of those links later, also the Boccherini op 32 as my computer has been playing up.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Thanks for supplying links to these items, ferney. I'm never very sure of what to do, ( cringe , cringe ) too late to learn now.
                      Sorry to hear you say that, gamba. It really is quite straightforward.

Just below the YouTube video, there is a button with 'share' written on it. Click on it, and it will reveal some more information. The url (link address) will already be highlighted in blue, something like: http://youtu.be/S65yu54efot. So all you need to do is Copy and Paste (either press CTRL + C or right-click on the highlighted text and click 'copy') and then you just need to paste it into the forum message you are writing (by pressing CTRL + V or right-clicking in the message and click 'paste').

Voilà!

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

A great way to return to the forum, gamba - very good to see you back

The Zefiro Torna is one of my very favourite early music pieces and it was lovely to see it played/sung with such wit and joie de vivre.

Comment

• gamba
                          Late member
                          • Dec 2010

Richard,

You refer to Jaap ter Linden as if he is about to give a recital of these works in the very near future - is this so ?

Although I am heavily addicted towards period performance, gut strings etc. I feel the Bach suites somehow don't belong to any period & sometimes sound better on an instrument with a more modern set up.

Variety is essential both with the instrument & performer, which means spending a fortune on CDs ! I love them all for different reasons.

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

gamba
                            I apologise if I am being silly but if you mean you don’t know what to do with the links posted on here, then put the cursor on the link. It will be underlined, and just click. Hey presto!! You have L' Arpeggiata’s concert from the beginning to the end, and all the rest of performances we are pouring over you.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Richard,

You refer to Jaap ter Linden as if he is about to give a recital of these works in the very near future - is this so ?

Although I am heavily addicted towards period performance, gut strings etc. I feel the Bach suites somehow don't belong to any period & sometimes sound better on an instrument with a more modern set up.

Variety is essential both with the instrument & performer, which means spending a fortune on CDs ! I love them all for different reasons.
                              No I meant his CD version, which I discovered via a comparison of different versions on R3 by Andrew Manze. It's the period version I've most enjoyed. Like you I love several different versions for different reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X