Works that might benefit from a new recording.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    This SACD of Tabuh-Tabuhan not modern enough for you?

There is/was also a CBC CD, but it's a bit harder to find:

I have the latter but not (yet) the former (as cited above, rather than chronologically by release date).
    Brilliant! How could I have missed them?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      Brilliant! How could I have missed them?
      Possibly the lack of an "h" in the "Tabuh"? It was only after adding it that I found the Slatkin recording, (now ordered, despite the negative customer review of the CD version on amazon.co.uk).

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Possibly the lack of an "h" in the "Tabuh"? It was only after adding it that I found the Slatkin recording, (now ordered, despite the negative customer review of the CD version on amazon.co.uk).
        I suspect you're right.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

A bit off topic, but mention of the McPhee had prompted me to spin a CD-R of a 2001 Radio 3 broadcast of a concert which included Lou Harrison's Concerto for Piano and Javanese Gamelan (with the piano tuned to appropriate Javanese systems, not the equal or well temperaments to be found on YouTube). No particular need for a new recording of the work, as there is this:

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

If we're allowing arrangements, I'd like to hear (or preferably see) a new recording of the Tovey/Lauckner performing edition of Weber's Euryanthe. This edition apparently retains nearly all Weber's music but partly superimposes a new libretto (by Lauckner) to replace the ghastly von Chezy libretto and remove the numerous absurdities of language and plot in the original. Tovey considered Euryanthe the greatest of Weber's works, musically, but it has been sadly shackled to a terrible text. It would be good to see if this version rendered the opera performable - it is I think the first "durchkomponiert" opera in the repertoire, decades before Wagner's.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
              I think that set would take some beating Alison.

I would like to hear a different take on Dyson's Canterbury Pilgrims,excellent though the Hickox set is.

How about Benjamin Grosvenor in Alkan Op 39 ?
              Yes! I'd love for some wunderkind to take on Alkan's etudes or preludes and blast this neglected composer into the limelight. Lugansky or Blechacz infinitely preferable to über-poser Lang Lang. And, if you're reading, Hewitt, hands off!

EDIT:

I see Ollie Mustonen tried this in '06 but, ye gods, is it ropey!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                • Mar 2013

I didn't know where else to put this thought, but having spent a lot of time with Uchida's Mozart piano sonatas, I'd love to hear her in Bach's Goldberg Variations. There's a pianist who knows how to play an exquisite trill.
                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                X