X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    I was very pleased to receive aPM yesterday from Gamba, who hasn't posted for some time. He has had two spells in hospital, but is now at home recovering.

He says he derived great pleasure from the above recording and wonders if anyone has thoughts/views on it.

I'm sure a PM or message here would be welcome and he sends best wishes to everyone and hopes to return to the MBs soon.
    I checked my shelves and I have that music on a Naxoc CD, played by the Quarteto Borciani. I'm listening to it now. Excellent music, well played and recorded.

Comment

• John Shelton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      And while waiting for my Boccherinis to arrive (just been out to look - no, they're not there yet!) I was playing some Mozart by the Smithson Q - also led by Jaap Schröder.
      Lovely performances.

Comment

• John Shelton

I presume the Brilliant Boccherini box contains all the String Quintets recorded by La Magnifica Comunità. Of those I've heard they've been excellent and there's plenty more Boccherini here (37 CDs!) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boccherini-V...3836717&sr=1-1

I hope Boccherini is better appreciated than was once the case. His interests are more in colour and melody than the development we associate with the 'Classical Style' and that may have hampered his reception; he has a voice all his own (and the two 'cello string quintet set up is, of course, Schubert's rather than Michael Haydn and Mozart's two violas).

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

Very sorry to hear of Gamba's illness and I hope when he has recovered he will be back posting here. I've always been interested in his posts about early music and anything to do with the cello/gamba repertoire.

I don't know the Boccherini quartets, but have enjoyed listening to the string quintets I've heard. It would be good to hear more of his music on R3.

Comment

• John Shelton

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            Very sorry to hear of Gamba's illness and I hope when he has recovered he will be back posting here. I've always been interested in his posts about early music and anything to do with the cello/gamba repertoire.

If you have YouTube access, Gamba, here is a sample of the Alea Ensemble's recording of the op. 2 quartets - most impressive they are, too.

AleaEnsemble (Fiorenza de Donatis & Andrea Rognoni, violini - Stefano Marcocchi, viola - Marco Frezzato, violoncello)The formation of the AleaEnsemble in 200...

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Hey Nonymous View Post
              I presume the Brilliant Boccherini box contains all the String Quintets recorded by La Magnifica Comunità. Of those I've heard they've been excellent and there's plenty more Boccherini here (37 CDs!) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boccherini-V...3836717&sr=1-1

I hope Boccherini is better appreciated than was once the case. His interests are more in colour and melody than the development we associate with the 'Classical Style' and that may have hampered his reception; he has a voice all his own (and the two 'cello string quintet set up is, of course, Schubert's rather than Michael Haydn and Mozart's two violas).
              It would appear that only one disc (CD 30) is used to represent his string quartet output, however. That has the Petersen Quartet as the performers.

String Quartets G 177, 194, 213 & 248
              1. String Quartet in F, G. 248, Op. 64 No. 1: I. Allegro molto 07:19
              2. String Quartet in F, G. 248, Op. 64 No. 1: II. Adagio non tanto 07:21
              3. String Quartet in F, G. 248, Op. 64 No. 1: III. Allegro vivo ma non presto 04:13
              4. String Quartet in D, G. 177, Op. 15 No. 1: I. Presto 05:43
              5. String Quartet in D, G. 177, Op. 15 No. 1: II. Allegro rondeau 02:28
              6. String Quartet in G Minor, G. 194, Op. 24 No. 6: I. Allegro vivo assai 04:58
              7. String Quartet in G Minor, G. 194, Op. 24 No. 6: II. Adagio 05:36
              8. String Quartet in G Minor, G. 194, Op. 24 No. 6: III. Minuetto – Trio 04:23
              9. String Quartet in A, G. 213, Op. 39: I. Allegro moderato 07:42
              10. String Quartet in A, G. 213, Op. 39: II. Minuetto – Trio 03:02
              11. String Quartet in A, G. 213, Op. 39: III. Grave 04:16
              12. String Quartet in A, G. 213, Op. 39: IV. Allegro giusto 04:42

Comment

• gamba
                Late member
                • Dec 2010

Have just discovered this thread. Apologies & grateful thanks to one & all. Your messages mean a great deal to me.
                Hope to have a ' full-length' item ready shortly prompted by David Attenborough's ridiculous comment in the Africa series that snakes ' crush ' their prey - they DO NOT !

Hope to be with you all again soon & again, my thanks for so many kind messages.

Gamba

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

They've been in the CD player many times since they arrived, gamba. Much enjoyed
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                  X