• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Looking at all those photos and images especially in later years, I just can't help thinking about that moustache, and soup, and, erm, osculatory interference. I wonder what the two Alices and that other woman really thought....
    He might have used one of these:

Photo: Andreas Praefcke/Wikipedia Mustache and soup don't mix (especially when the custom of the day is to wax one's 'stache), so what's a moustachioed Victorian gentleman to do? Well, they eat soup with Moustache Spoon....
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Another chance to see this excellent 90 minute programme on the big screen tomorrow at 19h30 on BBC4 (and now on BBC4HD )

Film looking at how Edward Elgar's image of hearty nobility was deliberately contrived.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Another chance to see this excellent 90 minute programme on the big screen tomorrow at 19h30 on BBC4 (and now on BBC4HD )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vv0zx
        Thanks for the reminder. The original broadcast was on the hard drive of my old DVD recorder and I somehow never got round to watching it before it crashed on me.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
          There is also a major influence of Wagner in such works as The Dream of Gerontius which is built on the use of leitmotifs.
          Yes, Parsifal especially. Of greater influence, though, was surely Mendelssohn and the French romantics, such as Delibes and Massenet. Remember that Elgar's personal experience came mostly from the Three Choirs and Stockley's Orchestra, where Mendelssohn and Delibes were regularly programmed (no Wagner, almost no Brahms). He was also bowled over by Dvorak in 1884, who conducted at Birmingham.

Comment

• Tevot
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vv0zx
            Thanks also Caliban for the reminder.

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Yes many thanks for the reminder.
              By the way did anyone see the review in the TLS of John Drysdale's book 'Elgar's Earnings'? The reviewer opines that 'Drysdale's own findings challenge the romantic myth that Elgar was unable to compose without Alice (what about the third symphony?) and retreated from the public eye'. Nice to see received wisdom prodded sharply.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Just as irritating that there is no mention of or discussion of the Cello Concerto at all . I find rather too much on his choral music too . Yes I know that is how he made his name originally but few of these great choral edifices are masterpieces .

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  Just as irritating that there is no mention of or discussion of the Cello Concerto at all . I find rather too much on his choral music too . Yes I know that is how he made his name originally but few of these great choral edifices are masterpieces .

I got in this evening just as SWMBO was watching the end of the programme (and I was anxious to turn over to the cricket, though this was a lost cause ). She was disappointed that there was no mention of any of the chamber works, even though these related directly to Elgar's reaction to the Great War, which is very much a current favourite for the media. We hadn't realised that the programme was a repeat, so the latter point was irrelevant, as it turned out.

Nonetheless, still a pity that these, and the Cello Concerto, from that same unique period, were ignored.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                    I got in this evening just as SWMBO was watching the end of the programme (and I was anxious to turn over to the cricket, though this was a lost cause ). She was disappointed that there was no mention of any of the chamber works, even though these related directly to Elgar's reaction to the Great War, which is very much a current favourite for the media. We hadn't realised that the programme was a repeat, so the latter point was irrelevant, as it turned out.

Nonetheless, still a pity that these, and the Cello Concerto, from that same unique period, were ignored.
                    A good point about the violin sonata , piano quintet and string quartet. Instead a great deal of weight was placed by Bridcut on Sospiri.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I suppose with Elgar's large output, they decided to focus on a particular genre. As his choral works were his first success, it stands to reason to focus more on these?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

a welcome repeat [apologies Caliban missed yer nudge]

the chamber music and concertos and more of DON on the next Elgar doc please!

and less love life and more personality; the man had a grit to overcome class and religion - what kept him taking on the British Establishment? how did he educate his musical mind?
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                          and less love life and more personality; the man had a grit to overcome class and religion - what kept him taking on the British Establishment? how did he educate his musical mind?
                          YES! (please)
                          The image of himself that Elgar preferred to present to the public in his later years conceals the bolshie young man determined not to let Class and Religious prejudices keep him in "his place" - and the mid-life crises that so made him so disillusioned in his last years. The story of how he copied out the Mozart 40th as a teenager and then wrote his own Music on the harmonic grounds of that work - that's a programme in itself (Anthony Payne at the ready?!)
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

i hope that salymap is able to watch this on her (relatively) new telly at home

Comment

Working...
                            X