Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon Biazeck

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    It just had to happen, didn't it? Because it so happens (I nearly wrote "as it 'appens" but then wisely and swiftly desisted) that the Savile business has finally been exposed just recently (although its continued investigations and repercussions will inevitably run on for many months or indeed possibly years to come) and it also happens to he the start of the Britten centenary year, the characters, behaviour and sexual proclivities of the two men must be dissected side by side for the benefit of the demi-monde of tabloid journalism. If only the Savile scandals had been exposed many years ago when they could and should have been (and, had they been, their duration would have been far less than was the case), I suspect that this futile sensationalism that is the attempted drawing together of Britten and Savile might never have occurred to anyone.

As many commentators have noted with due chagrin, Britten has been dead for almost 36 years and no one has ever come forward with evidence of sexual abuse on his part; it is this lack of evidence that perhaps sticks in the craw more than anything else when confronting the subject and it appears to be the distasteful and unjust legacy of the phenomenon of male homosexuality perpetuated as somehow inevitably synonymous with pædophilia (why? on what grounds? based upon what specific incontrovertible physiological / neuroscientific evidence?) that has provided the unfortunate backdrop for the Daily Wailings on the subject.

I do not usually take to Lebrecht's writings but, short of a handful of examples of his customary clever-clogs soundbitten catchphraseology and his shying away from due criticism of the chips off the Carpenter's block, he does write at least some good sense here in trying to put matters into perspective in terms both of Britten's musical legacy and the immense energies that he invested (often at the expense of his own health) into the practical applications of his generosity of spirit where the work of other composers was concerned (although I could have done without NL's insufficiently well thought out remarks about some of Britten's stage works).

Dutilleux wrote for boys' voices too (though obviously not as often as Britten) but, of course, he isn't homosexual so even the Daily Fail would presumably refrain from publishing assumptions about his sexually predatory nature towards boys.

I knew Britten, though not at all well, when a young man rather than a boy; not only did I fail to glean the remotest impression of him as the kind of man who might have had some inclination to take an unhealthy interest in boys, let alone commit acts of sexual predation upon them, I also found his musical broadmindness considerably greater than I had anticipated. At the time, I was a pupil of Searle and under influences of almost no English composer at all other, perhaps, than Byrd and Bridge) - a considerable distance, then, from the Britten milieu; this clearly interested him rather than met with his consternation and his enthusiastic remarks at that time about , for example, Chopin and Tippett were as welcome to the ear as they were somewhat surprising to encounter.

Britten's persona was indeed plagued with no shortage of insecurities, but neither that fact nor anything else about him or indeed his work as a composer, conductor, pianist, writer or promoter of the work of others constitutes an excuse for the kind of cheap tabloid jibes and muck-rakings that are too salacious and evidence-lite even to qualify to be dignified by the descriptor "journalism".

I wonder what kinds of unenlightening garbage the gutter press will try to dig up about Verdi, Wagner and Alkan who each share a bicentenary with Britten's centenary?...
    An excellent post - thank you!

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

A letter from John Bridcut in the Guardian -

Letters: The eyes of these boys (now middle-aged or elderly men) lit up at the remembered richness of these friendships, and there was no suggestion of impropriety

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

As an antidote to Martin Kettle's reprehensible, prurient, muck-raking in the Guardian, this wonderful documentary uploaded by Oliver Drake (Brian Drake's son).

Moved to tears, at the end especially, I have very fond memories of Aldeburgh, the Britten Pears School, Robert Tear and Colin Graham, the latter by whom I was directed in an opera in the Maltings concert hall.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

Thank you so much for that, Simon. I bought the DVD a few weeks ago - I should have waited for Youtube! Wonderful, nostalgic stuff. Fascinating to have glimpses of so many great names, including the very young James Bowman as Oberon.

Lucky you being in an opera at The Maltings. How marvellous - I wish I had been!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
            Thank you so much for that, Simon. I bought the DVD a few weeks ago - I should have waited for Youtube! Wonderful, nostalgic stuff. Fascinating to have glimpses of so many great names, including the very young James Bowman as Oberon.

Lucky you being in an opera at The Maltings. How marvellous - I wish I had been!
            Isn't it wonderful to see Bowman like that? - a marvellous assumption

It was good to see the Vienna boys doing their stuff too - you could see how completely involved they were in this piece that had been written for them. What a privilege - it would be interesting to interview some of them, to l hear their memories of that period of their young lives and how it shaped them later.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Some wonderful Brittenalia on Ollie Drake's channel on youtube... Complete Budd and Grimes, etc... and the documentaries...

http://www.youtube.com/user/olliedrake
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post

You are most welcome! Oliver Drake says he will be uploading the complete performance on The Burning Fiery Furnace in due course too! So pleased I found it and can share it - spread the word!

Aldeburgh (recital in the Moot Hall) and Snape concerts and opera were quite magical, a real privilege!

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Poor Mandrake clearly does not comprehend the phrase "old saw".
                  Your cumbersome 'sense of humour' is obviously a handicap in real life, so it's hardly surprising you spend so much time on here.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                    Your cumbersome 'sense of humour' is obviously a handicap in real life, so it's hardly surprising you spend so much time on here.
                    I wouldn't exactly be anticipating a courteous, friendly reply from somebody whom I had called a 'bone-headed imbecile'..

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                      I wouldn't exactly be anticipating a courteous, friendly reply from somebody whom I had called a 'bone-headed imbecile'..

You took the words right out of my mouth, waldo. In fact I can't see that one Forumite calling another by such a phrase could ever have any place here, or in any sensible discussion, however much one might disagree...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                        Your recent behaviour is has been very odd and rather nasty, Mandryka, even by your standards. Are you sure it's not the result of an old sore of the unhealed variety?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

I'm beginning to think seriously about leaving these threads. It seems to me that at least half the offerings seem to be studied insults or point scoring. A thread begins, and after half a dozen comments on the subject it quickly degenerates into invective. Do I like you all? I'm not sure any more.

Comment

• Simon

It's just one small group of people, Ff, who cannot stand to read any position that opposes their own and who then start the ad hom stuff, or other posts designed to stir.

But don't leave: if you do, they win. Look at the posts I've have to put up with, and I'm still here!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                                It's just one small group of people who cannot stand to read any position that opposes their own and who then start the ad hom stuff, or other posts designed to stir.

But don't leave: if you do, they win. Look at the posts I've have to put up with, and I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                                X