X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... can I recommend this one : listened to it yesterday, and I think you might like it -

Is this the EMI recording in a different guise, or a different recording, with same forces?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      I don't know how many people know that the lad pushing his bike up Gold Hill was the 3rd choice - the 1st boy refused to have his hair cut in the required style and it transpired that the 2nd couldn't ride a bike.

I still love Dvorak 4 (the Rowicki/LSO performance)

Added to which, Dvorak 3 has become a favourite in the revelatory Vienna Phil/Myung-Whun Chung recording. Regularly have the first movement on repeat play!

But the New World remains one of those rare welcome old warhorses that always give pleasure (in a decent performance).
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        Is this the EMI recording in a different guise, or a different recording, with same forces?
        I wondered about this, too, but as both are shown as remastered by Mike Dutton, I guessed it to be the same recording and, indeed, transfer.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

The 'New World' is one of my all time favourite symphonies which I never tire of listening to. There's usually a pretty good reason why 'warhorses' are trotted out again and again. Schumann piano concerto, Tchaikovsky piano concerto and symphonies 4, 5 & 6, Beethoven 5 etc, etc. Love them all!

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            The 'New World' is one of my all time favourite symphonies which I never tire of listening to. There's usually a pretty good reason why 'warhorses' are trotted out again and again. Schumann piano concerto, Tchaikovsky piano concerto and symphonies 4, 5 & 6, Beethoven 5 etc, etc. Love them all!
            Couldn't agree more!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Oh, and to me, the only New World snobs are those who insist upon "From the New World", but since I am a stickler for "Pictures from an Exhibition" . . .

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

... the limited info on the box -

symphony 7 . P 1959
                symphony 9 . P 1969
                symphony 8 . P 1958

Precision Records and Tapes ltd
                digitally remastered by Michael J Dutton at PRT Studios London

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Oh, and to me, the only New World snobs are those who insist upon "From the New World", but since I am a stickler for "Pictures from an Exhibition" . . .
                  ... o come now, surely you mean Картинки с выставки – Воспоминание о Викторе Гартмане...

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I still love Dvorak 4 (the Rowicki/LSO performance)

Added to which, Dvorak 3 has become a favourite in the revelatory Vienna Phil/Myung-Whun Chung recording. Regularly have the first movement on repeat play!

But the New World remains one of those rare welcome old warhorses that always give pleasure (in a decent performance).
                    That is a fabulous set from Rowicki and the ever-superb LSO.....

.....and the third - surely one of the most "draw-you-in" openings of any symphony... and Chung and the Wiener Philharmoniker even hold open the door for you!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

That is a fabulous set from Rowicki and the ever-superb LSO.....

.....and the third - surely one of the most "draw-you-in" openings of any symphony... and Chung and the Wiener Philharmoniker even hold open the door for you!
                      Exactly - but quite an elusive opening: I did a little private BAL on the first movement, and even Rowicki seems a little lumpy in comparison (which explains why it had never struck me in listening to his set). Something about the tempo and lilt that Chung generates which is utterly addictive....
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

... o come now, surely you mean Картинки с выставки – Воспоминание о Викторе Гартмане...

Which raises the vexed question of the appropriate article to apply in English translation, definite or otherwise.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

... the limited info on the box -

symphony 7 . P 1959
                          symphony 9 . P 1969
                          symphony 8 . P 1958

Precision Records and Tapes ltd
                          digitally remastered by Michael J Dutton at PRT Studios London

This is interesting; I have a 'Royal Classics' Disky incarnation of the 7, 8, 9 plus Brahms double, Scherzo Capticcioso, Legends, Serenade Op44 in 3-CD set.

7 rec. 7 Aug 1957
                          8 rec. 28/29 Oct 1957
                          9 rec. 3 Sep 1958

Have to say, they are excellent recordings - crystal clear definition, and a nice fullness sonically. And of course, wonderful performances.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

This is interesting; I have a 'Royal Classics' Disky incarnation of the 7, 8, 9 plus Brahms double, Scherzo Capticcioso, Legends, Serenade Op44 in 3-CD set.

7 rec. 7 Aug 1957
                            8 rec. 28/29 Oct 1957
                            9 rec. 3 Sep 1958

Have to say, they are excellent recordings - crystal clear definition, and a nice fullness sonically. And of course, wonderful performances.
                            I think the difference relates to recording dates versus publication dates.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I think the difference relates to recording dates versus publication dates.
                              Yes - I'm absolutely sure that you're right, but an awfully long gap between recording and publication of the 9th.

Very often, confusion can easily arise when recordings are getting on a bit, and many incarnations and compilations of works appear under a host of different labels...

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

I love the New World Symphony - though I don't really know what makes it so different. Somehow Dvorak manages to get ideas floating out from nowhere - something which not so many other composers do. It sounds really spontaneous, not really in a rigid formal pattern, yet perhaps it is a formally "well structured" as most other symphonies.

There's an interesting article here - http://www.antonin-dvorak.cz/en/symphony9

I noticed quotations from the 2nd movement in the final movement recently, but there's this observation about the final example in the article cited above - "In one passage, for example, he interweaves the main themes from the second, third and fourth movements:" Clever and intricate stuff, yet sounds simple.
                                Last edited by Dave2002; 01-12-18, 20:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X