X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    IMO not the greatest of Dvorak's symphonies (I think that's no.7), but despite its popularity and over-exposure I don't see why I should despise the work. The same manner of over-exposure applies unfortunately to many other important and great works too, only to mention the Beethoven orchestral works, or many of the pieces played/repeated ad nauseam on certain R3 programmes.
    I agree that, while there's no reason to dismiss the 9th, the 7th is a finer work. For some time now, my favourite has actually been the 5th.
    Two of the most over-exposed 'bleeding chunks' these days must surely be the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th and the middle movement of K467.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Yup, 7th for me.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Yup, 7th for me.
        And for me; his best, methinks.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          I agree that, while there's no reason to dismiss the 9th, the 7th is a finer work. For some time now, my favourite has actually been the 5th.
          Two of the most over-exposed 'bleeding chunks' these days must surely be the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th and the middle movement of K467.
          Indeed; in fact, were ever there a convincing argument against "bleeding chunks", these two candidates would probably top the list!...

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            Indeed; in fact, were ever there a convincing argument against "bleeding chunks", these two candidates would probably top the list!...
            Perhaps, fortunately, when it's the 'Adagietto' as the bleeding chunk, the chances of it actually being adagietto are slim indeed.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
              It's one of those 'evergreen war-horses' () we had a thread about
              Having said the above up-thread in relation to listening to the piece, I’ve now spent a summer (as first trombone) rehearsing and participating in two performances of the piece … and my admiration for it has only grown having sat among the inner workings of the melodies, the harmonies, the orchestration. Dvořák continues to climb in my personal pantheon of composers (COTW this week is helping too)
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Having said the above up-thread in relation to listening to the piece, I’ve now spent a summer (as first trombone) rehearsing and participating in two performances of the piece … and my admiration for it has only grown having sat among the inner workings of the melodies, the harmonies, the orchestration. Dvořák continues to climb in my personal pantheon of composers (COTW this week is helping too)
                When it comes to climbing, I'd need more than a little help getting up Golden Hill! (I sometimes feel as though my life has been measured out in TV commercials).

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

A train of thought I can identify with.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    When it comes to climbing, I'd need more than a little help getting up Golden Hill! (I sometimes feel as though my life has been measured out in TV commercials).
                    Because you’re worth it…
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Because you’re worth it…
                      Arguably Ridley Scott's masterpiece.

Comment

Working...
                      X