X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    The Philhamonia Sawallisch c/w the Rostropovich RPO Boult were issued on Beulah and still available as a download on Amazon. Additionally there is a cheaper version on download and also his no 8 (aka no 4 back in the 50s) is available on download! Also available on download Tortelier PO Sargent Dvorak CC. No idea what quality like, however!
    Thank ou - but, for some reason I can't buy it; I click 'buy' and it tells me to click 'continue' to 'define an addfdress/method of payment' etc, although that already exists, and there's nowhere else to click, so I go around in circles GGGRRR!

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

The Tortelier/Sargent is free on amazon Prime and perfectly serviceable sound - though I suspect Warner or Testament would make a much better job of it - I am still baffled how EMI and Warner now fail to do anything with their 1950s recordings - just look at the success of Eloquence.

I have also added a new version - the Fricsay dave recommended - rather a lot of tempos changes but what a thriller as a whole .

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

One of the first classical LPs I bought was a recording of the 'New World' by the Philadelphia Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy. I seem to recall that it had a photo of a cactus and some rocks, or a similar desert-related image, on the front of the sleeve. This would have been back in 1963 or 1964, so I'm guessing it was their 1956 recording.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          One of the first classical LPs I bought was a recording of the 'New World' by the Philadelphia Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy. I seem to recall that it had a photo of a cactus and some rocks, or a similar desert-related image, on the front of the sleeve. This would have been back in 1963 or 1964, so I'm guessing it was their 1956 recording.
          Heh, heh. My first encounter with the work was of the same orchestra but Stokowski conducting, on a 5 disc Shellac album. It was my father's pride and joy, his only multi-disc set.

Last edited by Bryn; 05-12-18, 13:20. Reason: Too tired when writing the original post (citing wrong conductor). Youtube link added.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            Presumably this:

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Different picture, I think. Unfortunately I no longer have the LP.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                Thank ou - but, for some reason I can't buy it; I click 'buy' and it tells me to click 'continue' to 'define an addfdress/method of payment' etc, although that already exists, and there's nowhere else to click, so I go around in circles GGGRRR!
                Was that because of your location - then no it shouldn't be so as I successfully downloaded tracks whilst on holiday in the Aude this summer. No problem with downloading the Dvarak here!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Was that because of your location - then no it shouldn't be so as I successfully downloaded tracks whilst on holiday in the Aude this summer. No problem with downloading the Dvarak here!
                  Thanks - I did manage eventually to do it! Don't ask me how - I cannot retrace my steps!

It was great to hear this rendition* again after many, many years. I'd forgotten just how fast Sawalisch takes the 3rd movement - a veritable gallop - you can almost see the dust cloud! Loving it....

* for anyone who may be interested, the recording in question is Sawallisch/Philharmonia (rec 1960) CfP

PS - is anyone familiar with this, AND his later recording with the Philadelphia Orchestra - also on EMI? I'd be keen to know how the two compare....
                  Last edited by visualnickmos; 08-12-18, 18:25. Reason: Added a PS

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    is anyone familiar with this, AND his later recording with the Philadelphia Orchestra - also on EMI? I'd be keen to know how the two compare....
                    Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Sawallisch/Philharmonia version was available on a Beulah CD, visnick - now only available as a download. It's youTubable, of course:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Sawallisch/Philadelphians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsTuICpqI8

(Actually, that Philadelphia film is from a Live concert a couple of years after the CD recording ... but handy, I hope, to have still another to compare - and to watch Sawallisch in action.)
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                      • Nov 2010

Some light reading from the NYT on Dvorak 9, in honor of the 125th anniversary of its premiere this coming Sunday:

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Having played it a few times now I am completely won over by the Fricsay - an utterly enchanting performance .

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

I wa amused to see there's a Dvorak Street in downtown New York! Close to the Flatiron building iirc.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            I wa amused to see there's a Dvorak Street in downtown New York! Close to the Flatiron building iirc.
                            There's also (very nearly) a wall named after him between the Forth and the Clyde.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Inspired by reference to it being a first record for many I have bought an import Sony copy cheaply of the LSO /Ormandy . So far so good a rather dark hued first movement but with much interesting detail.

Then surely one of the most moving accounts of the slow movement not just surface prettiness.
                              Last edited by Barbirollians; 04-08-21, 01:28.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Live at the Proms on Sunday - BBCNOW/Bancroft...

Comment

Working...
                                X