X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    When I were a lad, the 5th was the New World.

Plus ça change . . . , what?
    And on the autograph score, Dvorak listed his symphonies - eight of them - with the New World as no. 8.

URL=http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/pabmusic/media/DSC07778.jpg.html][/URL]
    Last edited by Pabmusic; 02-12-18, 00:14.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      And on the autograph score, Dvorak listed his symphonies - eight of them - with the New World as no. 8.

URL=http://s1162.photobucket.com/user/pabmusic/media/DSC07778.jpg.html][/URL]
      Wasn’t that because the score of the First Symphony was presumed lost until after Dvorak died turning up only in the 1920s?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Assuming that's the only autograph score, how is it that the numbering is now different?

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Wasn’t that because the score of the First Symphony was presumed lost until after Dvorak died turning up only in the 1920s?
          Indeed. It was in the possession of a Dr Rudolph Dvorak (no relation).

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Assuming that's the only autograph score, how is it that the numbering is now different?
            Dvorak hasn't listed his 1st, which had been missing since the 1860s. It turned up in the 1920s or 1930s and was first performed in 1936.

The 'old' numbering of 1-5 relates to the order in which five symphonies were published in Dvorak's lifetime. Simrock published no. 6 as '1', 7 as '2', 5 as '3' (saying it was Dvorak's 'new' symphony. Novello published no. 8 as '4', and Simrock published no. 9 as '5'.

Dvorak went along with the deception over 5(3).

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

Oh, and to me, the only New World snobs are those who insist upon "From the New World", but since I am a stickler for "Pictures from an Exhibition" . . .
              Not quite with you, Bryn. Is that because From the New World is wrong? Burghauser (Supraphon - the urtext edition) gives it clearly as Z Noveho Svéta, Aus der Neuen Welt, and From the New World.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Not quite with you, Bryn. Is that because From the New World is wrong? Burghauser (Supraphon - the urtext edition) gives it clearly as Z Noveho Svéta, Aus der Neuen Welt, and From the New World.
                No, it's the abbreviation to "New World" I was pontificating about. "From the New World" is spot on, just as the Mussorgsky translates as "from", not "at", though with Russian lacking articles, whether it should be "the" or "an" is, perhaps, moot.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

No, it's the abbreviation to "New World" I was pontificating about. "From the New World" is spot on, just as the Mussorgsky translates as "from", not "at", though with Russian lacking articles, whether it should be "the" or "an" is, perhaps, moot.
                  I see. Please don't let me stop any pontification...

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Macal is OK - but you should also hear Ferenc Fricsay's version with the BPO, which I think is stunning. To be fair, it's a lovely work, and there are many good recordings - though perhaps a run of the mill performance could be dispiriting.
                    Only taken me three years to act on this recommendation - ordered today.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      I was just wondering who decided to go with the (let's say) 'alternative' spelling of 'Antarctica'.
                      I've never heard PMD's 'Antarctic Symphony' - a further addition to the list of works which I shall have encountered via the Forum!
                      Details here...

It is his 8th Symphony, sadly sharing its unrecorded status with Nos. 7 and 9....(it appears to be on youtube, but, presumably a private recording, it is uncredited/unlicensed in every respect...:...

As I've said elsewhere, I'm no snob about Dvorak 9, but it was the work that made me fall in love with classical music as such, "the only record in the cupboard", so I played it to death in my teens and can't listen - well, can't actually hear - a note of it now.

Favourite Dvorak? 5 and 6, with very warm affection for 2 (original uncut version) , 3 and 4....the third has a fascinatingly Wagnerian slow movement, among many other more obviously melodic attractions...

Now for the Big Match - it's Derby Day!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                        • Nov 2010

Dvorak is one of my supremely-loved composers; symphony no. 9 is sheer bliss and wonder. I know it more than any other work, and yet I never tire of listening to it I am always thrilled whenever I hear it - I have a fair(!) number of versions, and still look for more. I am mad, I suppose....

The first version I became instantly joined at the hip to, was CfP (vinyl) bought in Boots, in Chatham, Kent in the early 70s. Significant chunk of paper-round and pocket money well-invested.
                        It was Sawallisch and the Philharmonia. Sadly, never been on CD AFAIK... I've been oft-tempted to acquire his much more recent rendition with the Philadelphia Orchestra, but for some reason have always held off. Guidance required, perhaps.... bordering on persuasion.

My most recent addition to this magical œuvre is Chrisotph Eschenbach and the Houston Symphony (Virgin rec 1991) Loving it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Haitink that the Sawallisch/Philharmonia version was available on a Beulah CD, visnick - now only available as a download. It's youTubable, of course:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

... as is a video of Sawallisch and the Philadelphians:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Haitink that the Sawallisch/Philharmonia version was available on a Beulah CD, visnick - now only available as a download. It's youTubable, of course:

... as is a video of Sawallisch and the Philadelphians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsTuICpqI8
                            Thank you, indeed. I will have a little dig around.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              Just tried to order from Az. but just keeps telling me there's a problem with the order.... bla bla bla...... and won't let me pay.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                                The Philhamonia Sawallisch c/w the Rostropovich RPO Boult were issued on Beulah and still available as a download on Amazon. Additionally there is a cheaper version on download and also his no 8 (aka no 4 back in the 50s) is available on download! Also available on download Tortelier PO Sargent Dvorak CC. No idea what quality like, however!

Comment

Working...
                                X