• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Musical Families in the 19th/20th century

Isee there is a programme on 11th November on R3 about this. We all know about the Mozarts and the Bachs but what musical family would you like to nominate.

I suggst the Crufts; Eugene the double bass player in the BBCSO, his sons John [oboe?]who was Secretary of the LSO in my time and also organised the LSO Club, of which I was a member.
    Then Adrian,the composer whom I also knew as 'we' published some of his works. Named after Boult, who was a friend of his father. After that I've lost touch but I'm sure there are more And John was also Head ofthe Music Department at the British Council. I have a wonderful memory of a telegram from him being read at a Council friend's wedding, and the inevitable 'Woof woof' from someone.

Who do you remember from the recent past ??
    Last edited by salymap; 07-11-12, 17:55.
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

The ones that immediately spring to mind for me are Lennox Berkeley and his son Michael, both composers. Michael presents Private Passions on Radio 3.

Also the cellist Paul Tortelier, and his son Yan Pascal, the conductor.

Not to mention the Shostakoviches and the Menuhins - remember Hephzibah?
    Last edited by Mary Chambers; 07-11-12, 17:51.

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

The Goossens family. Sir Eugene Goossens 1893-1962 was probably the most famous. His brother Leon was a distinguished oboist, and another bother Adophe played the horn. Sisters Marie and Sidone were harpists. Father and grandfather were both conductors.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
        Isn’t there also a grandson whose performance was broadcast on R3 recently?

Alfred and Mark Deller. Although I have no idea how much Mark intended/wanted to be an independent singer.

I think Sir Neville Marriner’s son is a clarinettist.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          Isn’t there also a grandson whose performance was broadcast on R3 recently?

Alfred and Mark Deller. Although I have no idea how much Mark intended/wanted to be an independent singer.

I think Sir Neville Marriner’s son is a clarinettist.
          I don't know about the grandson, but apparently Maria de la Pau is Paul Tortelier's daughter.

Simon Rattle's son Sacha is a clarinettist, as well as Andrew Marriner.

The tenor Ian Partridge was often accompanied by his pianist sister, Jennifer.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
            • Nov 2011

Mikhail Jurowski and his sons Vladimir and Dmitri, all conductors.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I don't know about the grandson, but apparently Maria de la Pau is Paul Tortelier's daughter.

Simon Rattle's son Sacha is a clarinettist, as well as Andrew Marriner.

The tenor Ian Partridge was often accompanied by his pianist sister, Jennifer.
              And Paul Tortelier's wife Maude was also a cellist I believe.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                • Nov 2010

Sergei Prokofiev and his grandson Gabriel Prokofiev.

Elizabeth Maconchy and her daughter Nicola LeFanu.

All composers.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Karlheinz, Marcus and Simon.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
                    • Nov 2010

Daisy Kennedy (prominent Australian violinist, pupil of Sevcik before WW1, wife of Benno Moiseiwitsch), Laurie Kennedy (Australian cellist, cousin of Daisy), John Kennedy (British-Australian cellist, son of Laurie), Nigel Kennedy (son of John).

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

The Brains, particularly Aubrey and Dennis. Aubrey's father was also a horn player in the LSO and his brother Alfred was a horn player in the Queen's Hall Orchestra under Henry Wood (didn't any of the Brains consider a different instrument?)

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                        The Brains, particularly Aubrey and Dennis. Aubrey's father was also a horn player in the LSO and his brother Alfred was a horn player in the Queen's Hall Orchestra under Henry Wood (didn't any of the Brains consider a different instrument?)
                        Err, didn't Aubrey play something else? Cor Anglais perhaps ?

Comment

• David-G
                          • Mar 2012

Manuel Garcia was a famous tenor in the early 19c, he created the role of the Count in Rossini's Barber of Seville. His two daughters Maria Malibran and Pauline Viardot were among the most famous singers of the 19c. He also had a son, who (according to Wikipedia) became a world-famous vocal pedagogue, "the leading theoretical writer of the Rossini vocal school".

Comment

• aeolium
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            Err, didn't Aubrey play something else? Cor Anglais perhaps ?
                            As well as the horn? Not aware of it.

But I see from biog that his other son, Leonard, played oboe, so that answers my query.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                              Late Member
                              • Sep 2012

The ones that immediately spring to mind for me are Lennox Berkeley and his son Michael, both composers. Michael presents Private Passions on Radio 3.

Not to mention the Shostakoviches and the Menuhins - remember Hephzibah?
                              Paul Tortelier's wife, Maude Martin Tortelier was a fine cellist and partnered Paul in a performance of his own double cello concerto.

Jan Pascal was a fine violinist before he devoted himself to conducting and Paul's daughter, Maria de le Pau, was a concert pianist.

They performed the Beethoven triple concerto in Belfast in 1967 with the Ulster Orchestra.

The Goosens family were another distinguished musical family as, of course were the Menuhins.

The Knussens, Stewart the elder (Hallé Orchestra Principal cello) his wife Doris (viola), son Stewart(Principal Bass in the BBCSO and LSO) and grandson, Oliver, carried on the family's musical heritage.

Comment

Working...
                              X