• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3rd Viennese School
    • Oct 2024

Peter Maxwell Davies Symphony No.3

Programme Note by 3VS

Hello fans. Well, as ever, I learnt a new work on my holiday in South and West Wales in late September. This year it was Max 3.

It doesn’t seem as hair raising as no. 1 and 2 and the percussion is pared right down to just the Timpani. Gives the symphony a more subtle and less glamorous sound.
    It seems to be more difficult to lodge in the memory than it’s predecessors. (easier than the Symphony Concerto though!) But it should be a worthwhile experience to work it all out.

The start of mvt 1 is a slow tonal like tune for flute. Gets louder and faster later on. Near the end it’s quiet then builds up, with the help of the timpani, a massive climax which suddenly collapses without warning and we are left with the flutes playing very fast.

Mvt 2 is a much more subtle scherzo compared to the in yer face ones of no.1, 6 and 7. Near the end is the customary Max slow brass. (Appears in quite a few Max Symphonies!) And the screaming Der Der!!! Which we get in the middle of symphony no.2 mvt 1.

Mvt 3 Scherzo sounds even more subtle and pared down. Sounds like a slow mvt at first until you notice the speed. It’s supposed to be looking at mvt 2 from a different angle but I’ve not been able to work out all the bits yet.

Mvt 4 is the long slow mvt. The tune of mvt 1 comes back near the end. And the Timpani has 3 fast blows rat-a tat style played twice. The symphony, like no.2, end quietly.

A few scattered thoughts from 3VS on 5 hearings.

What do you readers think?

3VS
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Never heard the work, but am going to make it in my way to now !
    That is my kind of review. Cheers 3VS.
    Lets see if we can get youtube views to 1000 !!

Inspirational place Wales. Got my eye on a gorgeous place out west for a week next summer.......and picked up a couple of nice CDs on a little trip there this week.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

My next venture is no.4 which is scored for chamber forces. Probably play it on the way to West Wales at Christmas!

(Havent bought it yet, however!)

Comment

• Boilk
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post

Programme Note by 3VS

... it should be a worthwhile experience to work it all out.

Mvt 2 is a much more subtle scherzo compared to the in yer face ones of no.1, 6 and 7. ... And the screaming Der Der!!!

...It’s supposed to be looking at mvt 2 from a different angle but I’ve not been able to work out all the bits yet...

...3 fast blows rat-a tat style played twice...

What do you readers think?
        The above extracts would be amusing phrases in a "programme note" published in a CD booklet

Am not really acquiainted with this work - would probably miss the crotales and other percussion that make #1 and #2 so seductive.

Comment

Working...
        X