X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

I ought to like them, but I don't

Listening this morning to the Amadeus Quartet's performance of Mozart's String Quartet K 387 on Essential Classics, I found myself wondering why I don't like them very much. After all, for many years they led the field. I think it's the slight over emphasis that characterises their playing; it's as if everything is marked sforzando. Certainly they were remarkably unanimous in style, but surely Mozart requires more charm than they gave in this performance.

Do others have similar performers in mind who simply don't register with them? It would be nice to see some other examples, perhaps with reasons for the discomfort?

I'm sure many will profoundly disagree with my feelings about the Amadeus, but there it goes.
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
    Listening this morning to the Amadeus Quartet's performance of Mozart's String Quartet K 387 on Essential Classics, I found myself wondering why I don't like them very much. After all, for many years they led the field. I think it's the slight over emphasis that characterises their playing; it's as if everything is marked sforzando. Certainly they were remarkably unanimous in style, but surely Mozart requires more charm than they gave in this performance.
    I never cared for their Mozart much, ferret, either on record or in the flesh. Always a bit too polite IMO. Ironic, eh?

Much prefer their Beethoven.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

I have real problems with Murray Perahia, particularly with his highly regarded Chopin playing. I have this CDs of Ballades and Etudes but only listened once to each of them, unable to get any pleasure out of these performances of much-loved works. It's been so long I can't remember what I didn't like about them, but the memory is still there. I have only heard himlive once but had a similarly negative reaction then - Handel, Scarlatti and Brahms, if memory serves, Bridgewater Hall opening season 1996.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Roslynmuse

That's interesting, the Chopin disc you mentioned was recorded in 1994, so perhaps his Chopin is different now. I've always liked him, particularly for his Mozart. I also remember some stunning live performances of two of the Bartok concertos, but he doesn't play them these days. There's also the fact that he suffered a hand injury and could not play for some time and made a study of Bach while he was out of action. The discs of keyboard concertos are very fine, even if they are on a modern piano.
        How different our reactions can be, who'd be a critic?

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

I'm a staunch admirer of Perahia. In fact, I would go as far as to say he is my favourite pianist. However, re-auditioning his 1991 recording of the Brahms F minor sonata has reaffirmed me in my opinion that this is a low voltage affair which would have been better not to have seen the light of day. Notwithstanding that it is immaculately played, with that inimitable singing tone, it just does not convey the passion at the heart of this glorious, youthful paean to beauty.

Comment

Working...
          X