• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Music Lost in the Mail!

Not sure where to post this but I've suffered an unusual number of lost packages in the Mail this year and wondered if anyone else has similar experiences. Since July, 4 out of 10 CD orders from Amazon have been lost, never to turn up. Amazon sent one out guaranteed this week (as a goodwill gesture) and that didn't get here either. They're responsive and helpful, issuing replacements quickly, but neither they nor Royal Mail seem to be able to solve the problem.

The fun of finding and ordering CDs has been distinctly undermined... I'm waiting for some marketplace 2ndhand CD deliveries now, so we'll see! But has anyone had similar experiences?
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Jayne, I've had a couple of orders from Selections.com that failed to arrive, spaced a year apart. In both cases they took my word for it and the second orders arrived safely. Like you I don't know the reason.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

In many years of ordering CDs for delivery by Royal Mail, from The Woods for most of the time, but more recently from Presto, only one has ever got lost - about a year ago. In fact those from Presto Classical invariably come the day after posting. I have already suggested a change of name to Prestissimo.

Royal Mail continues to give excellent service: hands off, Mr Cameron!

Comment

• Roslynmuse
        • Jul 2011

It's happened a few times to me too; in the context of the number of orders I make it's not a statistically significant problem but it is very annoying (particularly if it's a rare item). I had a phase of it a few years back with no explanation but suspected it depended on who was doing the post-round or in the sorting office on that day.

Royal Mail can be obtuse though - a few years back I was receiving a large amount of post to a similar but not identical address in another part of town, and when I rang up to tell them, I was told I couldn't possibly have received any such post as the postcode was different! I had clearly been receiving a figment of my imagination...

That makes me wonder if there is an address similar to yours, Jayne, which might be receiving unsolicited Amazon parcels...

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

The postie isn't a fan of Hermann Scherchen?

On a less facetious note, I would suggest popping down to your local sorting office and speaking to someone there. It sounds like a suspiciously recurrent problem.

EDIT: Of course, the mail always got through under Thurn und Taxis. My preferred courier is the Tristero, but shhhh! - tell no one!

Last edited by Guest; 28-10-12, 18:45.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

A Marketplace order went adrift a few months ago never to appear but on that occasion I suspect that the seller never had it. A refund duly appeared later. Apart from that, Amazon parcels arrive here within a day or two of ordering - amazing service.

I tend to agree with Thropplenoggin that this looks suspicious. Try sending an unwanted CD to yourself in Amazon packaging if you can and see what happens. I'd ask some searching questions at your local sorting office if that too goes AWOL. You could also try ordering from MDT or Presto and see if the same happens.

I placed an order this afternoon so would expect it here by Wednesday at latest.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Thanks for the advice offered thus far... I almost hope the guaranteed one doesn't turn up tomorrow, it might be easier to trace, but a call to the local depot is the best idea, yes. All a bit dispiriting!

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

Jayne
                Are you getting fewer posts in general? Have you noticed other posts, the no commercial value sort, that you expect are missing? If the rest of your posts are not affected, I’d say it definitely looks suspicious.

I hope you’ll be able to sort out soon.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Normally trouble free from Amazon except for one blip about 3 months ago when I tried to order this

It never arrived and turned in to a bit of a saga (won't bore you).

£29.99 at the time IIRC, a bit more expensive now.

Comment

• Stephen Smith

I get my deliveries ok, here in Herts. Marketplace sellers often send in plain padded envelopes - do they get through? I agree, branded packaging could be attractive to interception.....

The late Tom Jackson, leader of the postal workers Union (talking a while ago here) became a book dealer in retirement I bought a book from him - when I spoke to him, he told me he had never before had non-delivery of a despatched parcel. He agreed to refund the cost, though.

Comment

• Parry1912
                      • Nov 2010

I recently had an Marketplace CD that didn't arrive and obtained a refund. Several weeks later it turned up! (I did let the seller know, honestly)

This morning my wife received a card that she had ordered from Moonpig. Despite a clear 'Do Not Bend' marking, it was creased and torn!
                      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Thanks to this thread I now realise that I hadn't actually ordered ' Coming From Reality ' by Sixto Rodriguez even though I thought I had !

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Never had any delivery problems with Amazon or Amazon Marketplace, personally.

OG

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Any further news, Jayne?
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

The Guaranteed Amazon packet is indeed "lost". I mean, really...
                              I was waiting to see what happened with marketplace orders, glad to say that one from La Chaumiere in Paris got through today! Hopefully others will too. The local mail depot manager was very friendly and helpful and said that they already had surveillance in, and how sad he was that this could involve people he knows well...
                              ...but it could still be elsewhere in the chain of delivery, and I've escalated my complaint through the RM website.

Ordered from Presto too - very good earlier this year.
                              For now it's sadly a case of avoiding Amazon themselves... I have asked if they could deliver via hdn etc., awaiting a reply.
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 31-10-12, 01:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X